VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I met my boyfriend about 1.5 years ago, I was Vegan. Had been for almost 10 years. Well I went stupid in love and fell off of the wagon, and gradually started eating meat again. It was crazy that I did this, my friends were all shocked because that was a part of who I was and had such strong beliefs about factory farming, and I felt like a traitor...still do. Well I have come back from the dark side and have eschewed meat for a few months. Boy it feels great. It feels normal to me, like I'm myself again. Anyway, the boyfriends parents know I have gone back to a vegetarian diet. For football Saturday, his dad made chicken and ground turkey chili. I do not expect them to provide a veg meal for me, so I ran to the grocery and got a few things and threw together a big pot of black bean and tomato tortilla soup at their house to share. His mom kept saying, "just pick out the chicken." She was in there while I cooked, and when I said, "I don't know how this is gonna turn out." (It was delicious.), she said, "it isn't gonna be as good as this chili, I'll tell u that." Well, damn. Was she insulted? Id hate for her to think me rude. I thought I was doing the right thing. ?????

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
You were right. Don't let family politics compromise your principles. She'll get over it.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I would have said - "If my cat dropped a poop in your chili, would you just pick it out and eat it anyway?"

Really, you did right. You could have said something like- I bet you'd make great vegan chili if you try.

Glad you're back!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Really, you did right. You could have said something like- I bet you'd make great vegan chili if you try.

Glad you're back!
It might have helped if you said something like this, and added ''you're a great cook'' or something like that. But it doesn't sound like you were rude. Some people just don't get the whole 'vegetarian' thing. Welcome back!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did say that the chili looked amazing. Now I realize all is well and I was probably being too sensitive: his mom and dad both got a bowl of soup and exclaimed how delicious it is. That was so nice.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

I did say that the chili looked amazing. Now I realize all is well and I was probably being too sensitive: his mom and dad both got a bowl of soup and exclaimed how delicious it is. That was so nice.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
See my sister says I worked in hot kitchen all day and take whatever you want and don't complain, she allows people to picck and choose what they want, she has some good selections tho but most of it is for meat eaters.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
If you were vegan for 10 years and then went back to eating meat, there are a lot of people who are going to think you will be willing to compromise your morals again. It's probably a little confusing for them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are exactly right, delisioso. It must be terribly confusing for them, and I'm sure many will judge the fact that I was weak willed and maybe too eager to please. Its an awful feeling to know I betrayed myself and compromised my morals. I just hope my friends and family will be understanding and supportive.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

I know people who think chicken/turkey/fish=veg*an<eyeroll>. I've made vegan lasagna and vegan enchiladas---everyone thought they were delicious-without beef, pork, chicken, turkey, or fish. (Yes, I realize I'm preaching to the choir with this).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.