VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was becoming vegan easy? I've heard many stressful stories about giving up cheese, eggs, and milk. Well, a week ago I was eating chicken, fish, eggs, and milk. Gave up beef and pork three years ago. I was a vegetarian 2 months ago but it was a pain. Anyway I when on vegan website and look at horrible vidoes/story about how animals were treated. Then found some yummy recipes on vegan food.
I made these summer rolls, and they were delicious!
Say good-bye to pizza! Rice noodles taste better then pasta. That when chose to become a vegan. And since then the vegan food taste wayy better then cheese and cappuccinos. Also whenever I see my mom buy eggs, I get upset knowing she supporting animal's abuse. Sometimes I just want to tell her that! Anyway that's my two cents. I never thought becoming vegan was going to be this easy!

Laura

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was veggie for many years, so it was easy for me. I initially missed cheese and soon as I found a vegan subsitute I was happy with that. having said that, you do need to get used to the taste, but its the nearest to cheese you can get. Giving up eggs was easy for me as they always made me feel sick after I ate one.

I think as a vegan it opens up much more satisfying nutritional foods.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Pasta is vegan o_O

so is pizza without cheese?

anyhoo

easy

veggie for years, used to reading labels. didnt like eggs whole or anythign eggy. hated milk, loved cheese but can cope without. used to turning cheese down cause it was non-veggie anyway so not like it was a new thing

·
Registered
379 Posts
for me it was super easy. one day i just woke up and out of the blue i decided to go vegan. since that day i have not had a craving for anything that comes from/is an animal.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Not so easy for me...but I think I obsess too much about balancing everything out as far as nutrition goes. Especially in the beginning, before I knew about trace ingredients, etc. Once I got into, however, it has pretty much become second nature for me. I do find that having a meal plan for the week helps a lot. But I guess that would go for non-vegan/veggie diets as well.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I wouldn't say it was hard.

Socially it wasn't hard at all. I know what I'm doing is right, and if someone has a problem with it it's their problem. Any "inconvenience" to me or other people pales in comparison to the inconvenience experienced by the animals who are exploited.

But it was a long process for me simply because I had to learn about food. I was raised on crappy microwave dinners and canned food, and really hadn't been exposed to vegetables. So I pretty much had to learn how to cook, and learn how to like a LOT of foods I hadn't even heard of before.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I think the most difficult thing for me was dealing with other people's reactions, eating at restaraunts, that kind of thing. But I think I had convinced myself that stuff was going to be harder than it actually was. I found giving up my favourite dairy-related foods difficult at first, but it gets easier every day.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I didn't find it that difficult at all. There was a bit of research involved, mainly regarding label reading and a bit of reading up on nutrition (where I'd get the stuff I need and what foods, etc.)

I had more of a problem with my family accepting it.

I got the whole "you'll get osteoporosis from lack of calcium" thing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It was really easy for me, as I don't really care than much for animal products. You can find a pretty good substitute for everything. I love soy milk, Earth Balance, and there are some good vegan cheeses out there. I really don't feel deprived. The only thing I miss sometimes is a Papa John's cheese pizza. But I can't have that anyhow because I can't have wheat or gluten, so it's really not much of a temptation. I feel very satisfied with the vegan foods I get to eat. Don't dwell on what you can't have; dwell on all the good foods you get to have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have only been vegan for just under two weeks so maybe I am not the best example. I have found it surprizingly easy, no cravings at all. Knock on wood. I am baking all the same stuff I used to just with rice milk and egg replacer and they are turning out just fine. I think that my high energy is the reward for being vegan

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found the switch surprisingly easy. I went vegan cold turkey and for a couple of days it was kinda "aaaaagh what do I eat?!" but now that I have my cupboards stocked up and some yummy recipes under my belt it's just the norm, I just get on with it. There really is a huge variety of delicious things to eat, and I certainly don't miss cheese or milk or eggs or meat even remotely. Soy milk is far superior to cow's milk, in my opinion. *_* Yum!

Cheezly left much to be desired... *ick*... but my vegan parmesan is rather good so whatever.

I love to cook, so experimenting with different foods was really exciting and fun for me.

And oh the joy I felt when I discovered houmous was vegan! xD *looooves houmous* As long as there is houmous, everything is wonderful.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It was super-easy. I had a mostly vegetarian (some fish) diet before I was vegan, and I already enjoyed a wide variety of vegan foods, so it wasn't like I didn't know what to eat. The interesting thing though is that, although I used to love dairy and fish, it was a like as soon as I stopped eating them a switch flipped in my head and they became completely unappealing.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I make a pizza using follow your heart vegan gourmet cheese. And cheese was the main thing I had trouble giving up. Anyway, it was extremely easy, and still is easy, much easier than I thought. I live near a couple of good health food stores with a lot of vegan stuff, so that's probably what made it so easy also, if I was in the middle of nowhere... then I might have had some problems. ;P

·
Registered
385 Posts
I found it extremely easy when the time was "right". I had been vegetarian for six years and thought of switching to veganism a couple of times but was never able to carry it out for more than a day. (I was a big milk drinker and cheese eater). Then all of a sudden couple of months ago dairy and eggs just stopped being appealing to me. I don't know why. It wasn't even related to reading about animals or anything. I even had some milk left in the fridge that I had to give to my roommate - I didn't want to touch the stuff. Ever since then I've been vegan and loving it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelinadatta View Post

I found it extremely easy when the time was "right". I had been vegetarian for six years and thought of switching to veganism a couple of times but was never able to carry it out for more than a day. (I was a big milk drinker and cheese eater). Then all of a sudden couple of months ago dairy and eggs just stopped being appealing to me. I don't know why. It wasn't even related to reading about animals or anything. I even had some milk left in the fridge that I had to give to my roommate - I didn't want to touch the stuff. Ever since then I've been vegan and loving it!
That's almost my story exactly. After 5 years of vegetarianism, veganism just seemed "right." I had already been drinking soy milk since before I was a vegetarian though, since I can't stand the taste of cow's milk. Plus I was never a big fan of cheese or eggs. I just started looking at the ingredients lists more carefully than before to avoid all those annoyingly minute traces.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm fairly new to veganism, and I have to say that some aspects are more difficult than others. Seeing other people eat meat is disturbing. I'm not getting along with my sisters right now because I tried to talk to them about veganism (they didn't want to hear), and their reactions just pissed me off. Some foods were easy for me to replace, but others were not. The lack of convenience is difficult. I've sort of fallen into a groove though, so it's not as difficult as it was at first.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I found the food side relatively easy. I did have to learn some ingredients to watch out for and know I still probably buy stuff with animal ingredients I don't recognize, but the diet change hasn't been hard. Especially once I found some tasty soy ice cream...milk and eggs generally didn't appeal to me to begin with and I'd been veggie for a while, so cheese and ice cream--ice cream more than cheese--were the only things I had to adjust about. Well, and I have to make my own bakery goods since most store-bought stuff (mixes and pre-made) have eggs and/or dairy in them, but I rather enjoy making my own cupcakes and such

As others have said, it's a bit more of a pain to go out to eat. I also find it difficult sometimes to "hold my tongue" when everyone else in my family chows down on products of animal suffering, whether it's cheese, eggs, or meat. I feel disheartened that they are in such denial about the impact on their health and the animals' well-being...not as important, but I also feel a bit disrespected because they know how important veganism is to me on an ethical basis.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I became vegan on New Year's Day this year and it hasn't been hard at all for me...yet. I did miss my cheese but found a great substitute for that, so it's been easy. I had been vegetarian almost 6 years though, so it was about time I gave up the cheese! I love cooking vegan food and experimenting with new recipes. However I will probably have a difficult time when traveling. I haven't been anywhere since end of last year, so that will be tough I think. Congrats on going vegan! This website is awesome because you'll find new friends and support here!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Extremely easy for me. Easier than going vegetarian. Since going vegan, my willpower has definitely increased when it comes to other things, as well. The whole cheese thing was a little troubling at first, but as of now, I can't even remember what it tastes like, which is wonderful.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found it more than easy, I enjoyed it, if it weren't for going vegan I still wouldn't know how to cook. I always liked soy milk more than cows milk anyway and I didn't mind giving up other stuff. The hardest part was remembering names of things that come from animals, and also remembering what these names actually are because my friends always ask what they are when I tell them I don't eat them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts