VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog owners warned against sugar-free items

Commonly used artificial sweetener can cause canine liver failure

Xylitol is very toxic to dogs.

Updated: 4:10 p.m. MT Sept 29, 2006

NEW YORK - Keep those sugarless treats out of Fidos reach. Veterinarians warned Friday that a commonly used sweetener might cause liver failure in dogs, and perhaps even kill them.

Their report in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association appears to strengthen the suspected link between the sugar substitute xylitol, (also called wood sugar or birch sugar, is a five-carbon sugar alcohol) thought to make dogs sick, and possible liver failure.

Xylitol, a naturally occurring product, is found in many sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and toothpastes.

Researchers Sharon Gwaltney-Brant and Eric Dunayer with staff at a poison unit of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Urbana, Ill., gathered information on eight dogs treated between 2003 and 2005 after eating products containing xylitol.

Each dog became ill, and five died or had to be put down because of liver failure, possibly from ingesting xylitol.

One dog who had to be euthanized had eaten four large, chocolate-frosted muffins containing about 1 pound of xylitol.

People dont think sugar-free gum can kill their dog. I didnt before I got into this. But this is something people should be aware of, Gwaltney-Brant, who co-authored the study with Dunayer, said in a statement.

Gwaltney-Brant said for dogs, ingesting even a small amount of xylitol can trigger significant insulin release, which drops their blood sugar and can be fatal.

A 22-pound dog who consumes one gram (0.03 ounces) of xylitol should be treated, she said, adding that further studies were needed to definitely establish a cause-and-effect relationship.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15066760/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

One dog who had to be euthanized had eaten four large, chocolate-frosted muffins containing about 1 pound of xylitol.
they fed chocolate to a dog?

and 1 lb of sweetener in 4 muffins?

holy crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Why would someone feed their dog muffins?!?
They probably just put out a plate of dog food and a plate of muffins and let their dog choose.


ETA- Xylitol is an all natural substances promoted on health food sites. By all natural, I am using the words of the promotors, but also to mean that it is naturally occurring in fruits and vegetables. This is not a man-made sugar replacer.

Not trying to make a point other than to take a stab at the natural=good mindset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
yeah...it's in sugar free gum, as well.

you may not see any reaction for a while, but the moment you see that your pet has consumed xylitol, they need to go to the emergency vet asap. we get xylitol dogs pretty much every day at my work.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top