VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter how "official" an email looks, even if it has Paypal logos in it... never ever enter confidential credit card information in an email.

Yet another round of scam artists trying to rip off users of eBay and PayPal:

http://news.com.com/2100-1018-991639.html?tag=fd_top

I received one of the emails mentioned in the news story and it looked quite official. That is, until I looked at the header information and noticed that the email does not originate within the IP or MX record for either Paypal or eBay.

A legitmate email from a trustworthy company will never ask you to email credit number or banking information.

Anyway... be careful is all.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

I just got an email appearing to be from from Paypal about a class action settlement. Anyone else get this?
That one is legit. I submitted the short form for a quick $50 (?), even though I'm sure I could have gone for more due to being ripped off more than once and not getting a refund. You don't have to give them any account numbers, only your paypal email address.

The website is probably overloaded, which is why it may not load.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

That one is legit. I submitted the short form for a quick $50 (?), even though I'm sure I could have gone for more due to being ripped off more than once and not getting a refund. You don't have to give them any account numbers, only your paypal email address.

The website is probably overloaded, which is why it may not load.
I didn't receive an email.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Michael, if you've bought or sold anything using Paypal from 1999 to early 2004, and you feel that the Refund process was not fair or cheated you out of money or you were part of a fraudulant transaction, or if you were falsly accused of fraud, then you can file a claim. Class action lawsuit was filed and paypal settled. You can file a short claim that doesn't ask any details and you get like $50, maybe it's $40, I don't remember and already mailed it in, or you can file for a larger claim and describe everything that happened and how much you feel you deserve and they'll think about it.

Check it out at http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/nothing/paypal.asp

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I got it. Followed the links to the legal document. It only applies if you have been cheated by Paypal. Since I never was, I didn't follow up any further. When Paypal informed me I had hit my spending limit with my debit card, and wanted my bank account numbers (this was not email), we went our seperate ways.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Ok, I got the email. Can anyone who has bought or sold thru paypal from 99 to 2004 fill out a claim even if they were not directly involved in the dispute??

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky73 View Post

Ok, I got the email. Can anyone who has bought or sold thru paypal from 99 to 2004 fill out a claim even if they were not directly involved in the dispute??
Yeah, there seems to be an amount available for you but some reports suggest that you need to be able to show that you have suffered financial harm as a result. I would take a look at the links if you think you might have a claim (you need to be from the US)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You can read this thread:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/forums/sh...23&old_block=0

for more details, but almost *everyone* (who uses paypal) can file for the statutory claim. However, it only has $1 million, which will be divided by the number of claims...which means everyone will probably get 50 cents each, but I don't know. Maybe it would be worth doing.

·
Banned
0 Posts
as a rule never pay any attention to any ebay paypal request for info, just delete it, paypal/ebay never askes for credit card info or username or password, only pay attention if it says your account has been suspended still ignore it and verify from the official paypal/ebay site and not from any link

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.