VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm in and out of drug addiction trying to start a new life, take better care of myself, and find my purpose. How do I make a balanced diet last on $75 a week? I've heard of people feeding more for less than that and living healthy. I have some unfinished business in Zuni New Mexico and my friend wants to backpack to the east coast soon, so we plan on taking a trip together in search for answers to life. The plan is to leave two weeks from now. :crying:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Dried long lasting foods like beans, rice, grains, etc are all very cheap. Basing your meals around those can easily bring you below 75 a week. I commonly spend like 3-5 dollars a day on food.

·
Fellow Hummusapian
97 Posts
Definitely beans and grains, you can also shop in-season veggies and fruits and look around for sales. I like to check out my supermarket's weekly ad online before I go out to see what kind of deals they are running. I'm not sure about where you live but tofu and tempeh isn't that expensive either. I spend about $75 when I go, but I tend to buy around three weeks worth of food at a time, so I spend about $25 a week. It's definitely doable! Happy to hear that you've decided to make some positive changes in your life!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dried long lasting foods like beans, rice, grains, etc are all very cheap. Basing your meals around those can easily bring you below 75 a week. I commonly spend like 3-5 dollars a day on food.
Not as hard as I thought! And, I love oatmeal. Thank you :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely beans and grains, you can also shop in-season veggies and fruits and look around for sales. I like to check out my supermarket's weekly ad online before I go out to see what kind of deals they are running. I'm not sure about where you live but tofu and tempeh isn't that expensive either. I spend about $75 when I go, but I tend to buy around three weeks worth of food at a time, so I spend about $25 a week. It's definitely doable! Happy to hear that you've decided to make some positive changes in your life!
I haven't eaten too much Tofu, but I do like it. My main goal is to be healthy in order to better help others. Thank you for informing me about tempeh. I just looked it up and seems like something I am willing to try. I do like tofu so tempeh should be no problem. Also, I should note that taste is at the bottom of my priority list.

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
It is not neccesary to eat tofu or tempeh.

Tofu I eat once or twice in a month. And tempeh.... I don't remember the last time.

Reactions: Doug S

·
Registered
15 Posts
Noodles will last you a while. If there's a Asian market near you, get any vege you like, use minced garlic, green onion, soy sauce, a bit of sesame oil, stir fry everything together! Add a side of salad too. I was on a super tight budget, and was able to use $40 to $50 a week for two people. Just gotta pick and choose

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Noodles will last you a while. If there's a Asian market near you, get any vege you like, use minced garlic, green onion, soy sauce, a bit of sesame oil, stir fry everything together! Add a side of salad too. I was on a super tight budget, and was able to use $40 to $50 a week for two people. Just gotta pick and choose
Chow fun noodes? Those are amazing! Not as big around as udon, and makes a great spaetlze cut up with sauteed onions, cabbage and mushrooms!
and mushrooms, miso, tofu and greens

1 - 11 of 11 Posts