VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago, I lost a lot of weight, after I stopped eating fast foods, drinking pop/soda, converted myself to water and started exercising like a mad person. It was not, at the time, my intent to become vegan or vegetarian, but I am finding that the only meats I still eat are forms of fish and poultry.

I know I have the discipline to eat whatever I so choose, since I literally weigh out my foods every day, using gram measurements and I exercise religiously.

I have tried tofu a few times, but what I find is that people tell me to soak it in soy sauce or some other sauce that has a ridiculously high sodium content, so until I am once again employed, experimenting with that will have to wait. I have a few interviews this week, so that will soon be over - fortunately for me interviews are one thing I'm great at.

Even though I'm not employed right now, the cost of food for me is pretty high. I eat a lot of raw almonds and flax seed oils, quinoa, vegetables and I love lentils, so I'm at least partially there. Right now I am in transition though. I HAVE been eating a lot of fish and chicken for a source of protein. I do drink milk and use whey protein at the moment. I do not believe I am quite ready for veganism, but I am here to learn, plug a bunch of information in my giant excel spreadsheet and come up with meal plans that will work for me. I'm not yet where I want to be, but I know I can get there -- hopefully I can find some good, constructive advice and information here

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Tofu is so hard to get right.
I like the guide in "Vegan with a Vengance."
If money is tight, check out your local public library! They usually have a nice variety of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks!
Welcome!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I think tofu is absolutely disgusting unless it's of the grilled variety I get from my local food co-op in salads

Hello, and welcome!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
There sure are a lot of differences in opinion on tofu! I love it. In the beginning I would cube, press, and shake it in a cornstarch/flour mix, then sautee in oil like general tsos tofu with a sauce. Then I tried simply pressing firm or extra firm tofu, rubbing spice mixes on it, and dry-fry. I use a cast iron pan, with just a coating, or light spray of oil. I love the creamy texture and how the spices stand out. Add some lightly steamed veggies and usually braggs amino acids.
Anyway, tofu or not, it sounds like you're on the right track!
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I do want to point out that vegetarian does not equal tofu-eater.
There are plenty of vegetarians and vegans that can't stand the stuff, and plenty of meat-eaters that DO enjoy tofu.
Tofu is just another kind of food that happens to be veg friendly.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Tofu is a love-hate thing - sometimes I love it (my vegan tofu quiche is the best thing ever!) and sometimes I pick it out of my food again, but that's due to my cooking skills or lack thereof.

Anyway, I think it's great you're taking this step. For protein, eat lots of beans, legumes and whole grain products! Good luck and we're always here to help

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The secret with tofu is that after you've killed it, skinned it, and de-boned it, you have to press it. Makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Wait...you debone your tofu?

Weird. The bones are the best part.
I had a bad experience choking on a tofu bone, been de-boning it ever since.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thank you for the welcome!

Haha, I know that tofu eater does not equate to vegetarian/vegan, but it looked like such a good choice of foods for meaty textures. Perhaps when I get more income I'll experiment with it more -- that and I need to research to see if anyone has fresh tofu, because I've heard that the prepackaged stuff is nasty comparitively and therefore I'm probably not making a fair comparison. At one point I was considering going into culinary arts, but changed my mind, though I still like to experiment. The foods I enjoy the most are the beans, legumes, grains, vegetables and nuts, so it's a very easy switch for me.

P.S. Don't take the tofu bone out when making stocks or you'll lose all the flavor.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Tofu, or not tofu? That is the question....

I like cashews. They're juicy and you can really sink your teeth into them, just like a good... well... whatever those things were that I used to eat.

Anyone want to give me odds on whether couverture makes it or not?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

The secret with tofu is that after you've killed it, skinned it, and de-boned it, you have to press it. Makes a world of difference.
No no no...

First you kill it, skin it, de-bone it... then you FREEZE it... Then you press it.

Now you've got a nice spongy carcass ready to be filleted and BBQ'd.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Anyone want to give me odds on whether couverture makes it or not?
It's something I've been looking into for a while, but didn't want to make the dive until I figured out what I was going to eat, what I enjoyed and at least somewhat educating myself. My dilema had to do more with making sure I could get a balanced diet. I'm not ready for veganism and am not sure if that will happen, but I know that transitions work a lot better if a person doesn't make rash changes.

Sorry if I screwed up the odds of the betting pool

·
Banned
841 Posts
I've saved money on my grocery bill ever since I've gone veg. And thinking from a business major's point of view, it makes perfect sense, meat products have a higher cost of goods sold than plant products, seeing as it takes a lot of plants to feed livestock, and I could imagine that the electricity bill at slaughterhouses would be very high as well. So they have to charge more to make a profit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts