VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently joined Veggieboards and was so excited about it. I've been thinking about becoming a vegetarian lately but I had these doubts that I wouldn't be able to do it.

I've eaten meat my whole life and all of my family eat meat. My dad and sister both were once vegetarians and when they found out I was thinking about it they thought I was crazy and didn't recommend it. They said it was very challenging for them. It's not that they're not supportive, but just the fact that I know deep down they think I can't do it...which makes me feel discouraged. I know there's probably tons of threads about this already, but I decided to make one myself.

Basically my questions are:

-How did you transition to a vegetarian from eating meat?
-Did you slowly take out one animal meat at a time, or did you do cold turkey (tofu:laugh:)?
-What were your favorite meals in the beginning and currently?
-Do you ever have huge cravings for meat?

Thanks so much for reading. I would really appreciate any suggestions/advice from y'all!:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey! welcome to the board! :D

For me I gradually eased myself into becoming vegetarian. I went from slowly eliminating pork and seafood (wasn't challenging for me, girlfriend is allergic to seafood so that helps lol) then beef, then after two years of eating turkey and chicken I cut that out when I felt ready enough to tackle on being vegetarian. It also helped that my doctor was 100% supportive of me and strongly encouraged it. I have been meat-free for almost 3 weeks now but I have zero cravings of meat. I do occasionally eat veggie burgers or meat substitutes, but I feel like I've made the right decision. Sure there is going to be a few things I will miss, but not enough to say I crave them. I was never a huge milk person to begin with and favored almond milk over regular. Try almond, soy, rice, coconut one of those you'll probably end up loving! I usually don't eat eggs but my only big weakness separating me from being a vegan is cheese I suppose.

Favorite meals? I'm STILL exploring! :D the key is to be creative! You would be surprised how some of your foods you already eat could easily be vegetarian friendly. Be aware though not to fall into the "loading up on carbs" traps. The biggest thing your going to want to do is make sure your eating right. It's not about being deprived at all, eat as much healthy food until your full! That's one of the things I absolutely love about being vegetarian <3 Experiment with salads by adding some of your favorite fruits and veggies in them! maybe throw in some beans of your choice or some nuts of your choice. I prefer balsamic vinaigrette for dressing.

If you have Netflix, watch Fork Over Knives(also read the book) and Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue! Those will be really educational to watch.

I hope I helped answer a few questions! feel free to ask more! People here are really nice and helpful.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Hi, welcome to VeggieBoards.

Change can be difficult, especially when it involves something as important as diet. There's little else in life that has more effect on us and everything else we do, including our relationships with others.

In 1981, when I was 30, I decided to go veg. I tried going "cold turkey," as they say, and failed miserably. Within a month or so, I was back on burgers. So I brooded about my lack of willpower for about five years.

In '86, I tried again, but this time, cut out just pork from my diet. Even this was hard, because I had eaten bacon for breakfast, virtually every day my whole life. I discovered Morningstar Farms veggie bacon strips and used them, and it helped enormously. But I also began to notice changes. I was literally beginning to breathe easier, and I found my ability to concentrate- to focus on things- was improving. I learned that eating real bacon was painful to my gut, and now, with that pain gone, I was becoming more free to think about other things. I was also learning some of the pitfalls of the veggie life; for example, I'd go to a resaurant and order, say, baked beans, only to find it had pieces of real bacon in it. So I learned to shop more carefully.

After 5-years of no pork, I was ready for the next step, which was to eliminate all other meats. I thought it would be hard, but surprisingly, it was a snap! Everything I had learned about giving up one meat applied to all the others.

So altogether, it took me 10-years to transition. 5-years later I went full-blown vegan. It's the best decision I ever made. I seriously question whether I'd still be living, if not for this choice. But more importantly, the quality of my life has improved so much. In a way, I've been lucky, because I live independently, and have no one to answer to or "explain" myself to. I still use some of the "mock" meats to get me through any cravings. But when I think about a hamburger, it's not the meat I think of. It's the fresh bread, the mustard, fresh lettuce and tomato, juicy pickles, and crisp onion, not the meat! We can still have all those wonderful flavors without eating an animal.

You can do it. I sincerely hope VeggieBoards will become a source of real support for you. Our members are great, and should be able answer any questions you have. Please don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

-Did you slowly take out one animal meat at a time, or did you do cold turkey (tofu:laugh:)?

Thanks so much for reading. I would really appreciate any suggestions/advice from y'all!:D
My transition was a long time coming, but a decision I made overnight!

I did a 30 Days Meat Free. I think the only reason I ate meat when that 30 Day period ended was because my mum was there when I was finishing up. After that I ate animals, or parts of them, about 3 or 4 times in the months that followed.

But, then there was a video (as there so often is) and I went veg overnight.

I went cold tofu :p

But, I did it after already putting together meal plans and having at least 4 or 5 dishes under my belt.

Either way, I recommend doing some research about what you should include in your diet. Not because a veggie diet is lacking in essential things, but because I think most people don't KNOW what they're meant to be putting in their bodies in the first place.

I used this website a lot when I was looking into healthy meals.

http://www.vrg.org/

There's also a great book called "Becoming Vegetarian" by Vesanto Melina MS RD and Brenda Davis RD. It's got so much stuff in it and can be a little overwhelming. But it's written in plain English and is vital to just, being healthy! :D

My favourite meals....Back then, a lot of stirfries.

I ate Quorn, then Frys and only tofu if someone else had cooked it :p I was scared of tofu. But I didn't need to be! It's a great ingredient. You just have to know which tofu to use for what things!

Apart from that, it was pretty much the same food as always.

Instead of mince in the spaghetti bolognaise, I used lentils. Or, if I wanted 'meat balls', I'd chop up some tempeh and throw it into the mix.
Instead of mince on burritoes or wraps, I'd use refried beans, tofu chunks (once I got used to them, I used the extra firm) and chickpeas.
Lentil patties instead of cow meat.
Chickpea/veggie sausages instead of sausages made of animals.

Nowerdays-
Anything that Sarah Kramer tells me to cook! :D

As it's winter still here in Aus, all I can think to cook these days are roasts. There's some great tofu roast recipes out there. Or even veggie 'meat' roasts. There are amazing mushroom gravies to go with them.

But it's a whole selection. It's just like when I ate animals, jsut a few of the ingredients have changed. I have to say, pizzas are SO much better now that they're not weighed down with meat (or cheese for me).

Huge cravings for meat?

No. But sometimes I miss the taste. Or, I THINK I miss the taste. The smells of animals cooking are somewhere between "I love that smell" and "Oh my dog, that's someone's burning flesh".

There are always alternatives though. There's always some way to get close enough to the taste or texture, that it's never a huge deal.

As for general advice, just be kind to yourself. You're taking a big step and even though I'd love to tell you it's easy, it's not always easy. But, this is a good community with loads of advice and ways for you to make things easier.

And when it comes to other people, just remember they sometimes need some time to come around to your way of thinking. Or at least accepting the way you're thinking.

Good luck!

·
Banned
2,533 Posts

I stopped overnight after being ill and meat suddenly tasted utterly disgusting. There was no morality in my decision to stop eating meat, just the fact the taste actually made me throw up (niiiice!). My transition to vegan was overnight too but that was 100% for ethical reasons once I saw what goes on i the dairy/egg industries.

-Did you slowly take out one animal meat at a time, or did you do cold turkey (tofu)?

As above, cold tofu :)

Veggie - I relied quite heavily on Quorn and other pre-prepared products until I felt confident with my cooking. Veggie curries, stir fries and soup figured high on the list as they were quick and easy to make. I've been vegan around 14 months now and my favourite meal is Kung Po Tofu from my local Chinese restaurant! *lazy meeeee*

No as I still have the association of meat flavour = vomit inducing which puts me off

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello everyone! I recently joined Veggieboards and was so excited about it. I've been thinking about becoming a vegetarian lately but I had these doubts that I wouldn't be able to do it.

I've eaten meat my whole life and all of my family eat meat. My dad and sister both were once vegetarians and when they found out I was thinking about it they thought I was crazy and didn't recommend it. They said it was very challenging for them. It's not that they're not supportive, but just the fact that I know deep down they think I can't do it...which makes me feel discouraged. I know there's probably tons of threads about this already, but I decided to make one myself.

Hello Haylee!! I'm fairly new to the forum and really love it here, sure you will too 0:)

I am 17 and made the transition to vegetarian nearly four weeks ago now. I didn't ween myself off meat, I just dived straight into vegetarianism. I never ate fish to begun with as I disliked the taste. So yeah, quite proud of myself to be honest.

As for 'do you get cravings for meat?' No, I've not had one 'craving'. Occasionally I've been gutted when some packaging says 'not suitable for vegetarians' .. But I can easily live without :)

I really think you should give it a try, I'm a vegetarian in an omnivore environment too.. But I believe you can do it!! :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey! You can do it! Even if your family isn't 100% supportive, you have this whole community here who would love to give you that support!

As for your questions:

I transitioned overnight when I was 12. I came home from school one day, and my mom (who has always been a fad dieter) told me that she decided to go vegetarian to lose weight, and that she was getting rid of all the meat in the house so no one would be tempted by it. The whole-house veg thing only lasted maybe 6 or 7 months, but when the rest of my family went back to eating meat, I didn't. While they were all obsessed over waistlines, I was online researching how in world I was supposed to survive without chicken nuggets or pepperoni. I ended up stumbling across videos about slaughterhouses, and reading info about health and the environment as they pertain to a veggie lifestyle, and after that, I couldn't go back. For me, that constant stream of info I had coming in about why what I was doing was so good (for me, for animals, for the environment) was the encouragement to keep going.

My favorite meals at 12: Vegetarian chicken nuggets with french fries, Spaghetti marinara (sometimes with veggie "meat"balls), chili with veggie crumbles instead of meat, and tacos with veggie crumbles instead of meat

My favorite meals now: spaghetti marinara, chili with veggie crumbles or extra beans, pan fried tofu with roasted maple-mustard green beans, bean soups, vegetable stir fries - the difference between now and when I was younger is that I don't feel a need to eat meat replacements anymore, but they were a huge help when I first made the switch.

YES! I did have huge meat cravings, and every once in a while, I still do. I didn't quit meat because I disliked it. But a meat craving and a craving for an extra-large milkshake you know you don't need can be treated the same way. Yes, you want it. No, you don't eat it. And if you do make a mistake, forgive yourself, and use it as a learning experience. It gets easier with time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so very much for your helpful advice! It's really nice to have somewhere I can go for support on this huge decision. Today my mom actually told me that she really thinks I should do it and that really helped me feel better about all of this. She even bought some vegan groceries for me and is going to try out some for herself.

Thanks again everyone!! :shy:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello! I haven't read the whole thread, just the initial post, but here is what I did.

I watched a few documentaries on the meat industry to confirm what I already knew and strengthen my resolve. I have always cooked allot but all of my recepie involved meat. For the first few weeks I simply replaced the meat in my diet with quorn type products. So I made quorn lasagne and fake chicken stir fry etc. It stopped me worrying about protein and it made cooking really easy.

After doing this for a while I began to challenge myself to make food without the meat subs. I made lentil pies and spinach lasange, tofu stir fry and pasta sauce with kidney beans. I stopped thinking that food needed to have that meaty element.

Now I just eat a crap load of veggies, pulses and legumes. I've had a delicious time of it and I feel much healthier, I have more energy etc.

It does take time to get used to the feeling of being vegeterian. At first my biggest challenge was that I felt "not quite satisfied" with my meals, because of that I did end up overeating at first. But you get used to the feeling of being a little less than full and now I think if I ate meat I'd feel a bit disabled by it! I learnt that no amount of veggie food was going to give me that weighted feeling, so I stopped overeating and began to feel miles fitter XxxxX

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Hi and welcome! Veg food can be delicious. :) I love reading cooking blogs and cookbooks. Every recipe I've tried of Chef Chloe's has come out great.

http://chefchloe.com/

Also theveganstoner.com has fun and often easy recipes.

I transitioned to veg overnight (10 year old son went veg and compiled a list of his reasons that I couldn't argue with). Went vegan a year or so later, same boy with dairy/egg/leather videos. :)

I already cooked for the family every day, so for me it was just a question of changing what I cooked. :)

·
Registered
5,219 Posts

Hi- and welcome! To answer your questions:

I became pescetarian when I was 16- a long time ago. In case you're not familiar with the term, that's someone who eats (usually) fish and other animals such as crustaceans and clams, but not flesh from mammals or birds. Four years later, I dropped fish as well and became a vegetarian. I guess you should say I slowly took out different animal meats at a time.

As a vegetarian, I did consume eggs and dairy products quite regularly- I usually drank milk with meals, unless maybe they had cheese in them already. One of my favorite meals was brown rice with some green leafy vegetable (spinach, broccoli, collards, etc) and grated sharp cheese. I made my own wholegrain bread too. Breakfast was usually oatmeal or cereal. Some years later I started dropping dairy and egg. I still like and eat everything else I mentioned, but consume more legumes, as well as things like sunflower kernels. But I've always liked almost all vegetables and fruits, and ate them freely even when I was a meat eater.

I never had huge cravings for meat because there were always lots of other foods I liked to eat, but the smell of it never made me sick either.

You might have an easier time going veg than your dad and sister did- it's getting more common all the time. Please realize that vegetarianism, like any other diet, has possible problems. My most recent checkup showed my vitamin D levels were low, and other than sunshine, foods of animal origin are the main source of D. (not so much sunshine here in the Northeast during half of the year- and I'm inside working most weekdays... so that leaves summer weekends for me to be outside in my shorts... IF it's clear weather). But on the plus side, my cholesterol levels are excellent, and I seem to have less trouble controlling my weight than most of my omni relatives.

EDITED TO ADD: One thing that made it easier was, I helped out with the cooking, making my own meals if what everyone else was having wasn't suitable. I see you're in Texas. "Vegetarian Times" magazine once mentioned a vegetarian club in the Dallas area, I think... or was it Austin? I'm glad your family isn't being unsupportive, even though they had trouble going veg, but you might want to check out our local forums to see if there are other vegetarians in your area. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The first time (notice I said the first time) I did it overnight. I went to an oriental market, bought a bunch of neat looking food, remained vegetarian about a year. I've succeeded and failed about 3 times. Things including myself sabotauged what I was doing.

I always thought of it as somehow important, so failing and trying again were not a problem. I've now been 6 years plus or minus. Every time the time I remain a vegetarian gets longer.

No matter how you decide to do it, give it a good six months to a year. Also, if given the preference of what to give up first --- Cheese! Cheese is the hardest food to give up and frankly it is not easy. If you can get to say, a few eggs and a can of tuna per week, you should be able to drop it all. At the beginning, replace burgers, hot dogs etc with fake meat. Really, by the end of the year, those should be a treat, not an every day meal. The vegetarian pyramid shows vegetables at the base, then things like rice and beans, potatoes bread pasta etc. Then fruits, nuts oils soy or almond milks etc. You should be eating more veggies, beans, rice, potatoes than "boca" burger, and tofu pups. Vegetarian and vegan can be expensive and hard if you buy your food pre made because all that health food is actually expensive. I remain O/L vegetarian as a technicality, because I am not going to spend 3 dollars of a package of bunny shaped pasta, when I can get pasta for one dollar a bag. Its up to you.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thank you all so very much for your helpful advice! It's really nice to have somewhere I can go for support on this huge decision. Today my mom actually told me that she really thinks I should do it and that really helped me feel better about all of this. She even bought some vegan groceries for me and is going to try out some for herself.

Thanks again everyone!! :shy:
That's really awesome that your mom is being supportive! At least there is someone in your family that's by your side :) Also very cool of mom for shopping for you :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I suppose I eased myself into it, though initially it was unconscious.

The first thing I cut out, in 2007, was fried chicken. However, this was less from choice, and more from two consecutive terrible Zaxby's experiences (well, the second was in 2010, which only reinforced the previous decision). And because of these experiences, whenever I cooked for myself, I almost never used meat.

I rarely would eat meat for breakfast (the grease never sat well so early in the day), but a little after the second "Zaxby's Diet" experience, I started experimenting with steel-cut oatmeal (unrelated, though I don't know what inspired me), which became my breakfast in various forms almost every day for two years. I only stopped because it started hurting my teeth...but then it was hurting my gums, and after I discovered flossing (...yeah...) it stopped being a problem. I still go back to it pretty often. So I accidentally eliminated meat from one of my daily meals.

About a year ago I decided I'd go vegetarian once I moved out of my parents' house (I didn't want to hear it*). This held off longer than I would like to admit to myself, but after that, when I ate at school I would always eat vegetarian. The university cafeteria tried to cater to us vegetarians every now and then, and their (always-present, well-stocked, and clean) salad bar was the highlight of the place, even for my omnivorous friends. Though the alternatives often included such abominations as buffalo meatloaf with feta cheese, which may have been even worse than it sounds. However, they also introduced me to black bean burgers, which I had been hesitant to try. But it was excellent.

Then in early June, I decided to make it official (the prime motivator being animal rights, though this I have not told my family...as far as they know, its about health).

*They have been way more supportive than I expected.

----------------

So yeah, that's the story of how I cut out meat.

As for favorite meals...like I said, you can do a lot with oatmeal. Savoury oatmeal is surprisingly good (try sauteeing/frying some vegetables--a great place for kale stems that you otherwise might not want to eat--and eating cooked steel-cut oats with that, with whatever spices you like the most). If you are cool with eggs, poach one and eat it on top. Alternatively, you can turn it into a bowl of oatmeal raisin cookie dough, by cooking it with raisins, and mixing in granola (to make it crunchy), nuts, and maple syrup. It's flexible.

Eggplant is also flexible. All these vegetables are flexible. I've been frying cucumbers at work lately and throwing them in my sandwiches; I'd only ever eaten them raw before last Tuesday. A brief look through a Yotam Ottolenghi cookbook will give you interesting ideas. He isn't a vegetarian, but his recipes almost always are.

Really, you are free. Embrace your freedom, make culinary and gastronomic mistakes, learn from them, and find the art in food.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I actually decided to first give up pork for Lent because every time I ate it, I would get really bad headaches. I think it made my blood pressure too high. Not long after that (still during Lent) I gave up beef, because my grandma's medicine made her develop a beef allergy. Each type of meat from then on developed some type of problem either in me or one of my relatives. By the time Easter had come & went I was vegetarian. I did a 5 week vegan cleanse & let me tell you, the detox is no joke!! I can admit my defeat by the vegan lifestyle & I have been vegetarian since March 2014.

I don't know if I would call it slow or cold turkey. It happened within a month but more than 3 weeks haha! I don't even know. 😅

I'm fond of vegetable stir fry with zucchini as the main ingredient. I also like sautéed sweet & spicy (or baked) tofu with spinach. Um...mono meals are awesome too, fruit is divine.

I don't *crave meat but I do sometimes miss the feeling of the texture. Chickpeas, lintels, portobello mushrooms, TVP, etc. are good alternatives to fight off animal cravings. Lol, am I the only one who caught that? I do crave the flavoring used on the meat. Does that make since? Like with omni spaghetti I crave the Italian seasonings & texture of the ground meat but not the ground meat itself. Like I mentioned I crave texture so I'd probably make some veggie spaghetti with TVP.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Haylee, welcome. You will become vegetarian if you persist under your circumstances. Eventually, it becomes natural to avoid meat.

I started when I was small. My parents followed a vegetarian sect. We revert several times.

During this period, I omitted meat fully. But not eggs, milk n cheese.

Years later, I watched a video clip of pig slaughter. I changed overnight. All those years being occasional vegetarian when growing up probably helped a lot. But I decided to go veg for life this time around.

I dont have particular cravings for meat.

Everyone have their stories.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi again. I wanted to butt in here again to address the attitudes of your family.

I can understand that you are in a dynamic where loved ones do not want you to experience disappointment or failure. This is over protective, and at some point you do need to get a bit selfish, and say, "I don't care what happened to you, I want to see for myself." Obviously You should be more pleasant about it than I am.

It is okay if they try, but not okay if you try. That seems odd to me. Just because someone you know crashes a car does not mean you should never drive. If someone you know gets fired, it does not mean you need to stop working. If someone failed a class in school, does not mean you should avoid that class. If someone had a horrible relationship, it does not mean you should never fall in love. See where I am trying to go with this?

I am sure that you will do fine and make good decisions by yourself. The worst that could happen? Maybe you might get the "too much fiber bathroom syndrome." Maybe you will have meat cravings. Maybe you will go to someone's house for dinner, and find everyone has conveniently forgotten you are a vegetarian. You need to think about what you will do in those situation in advance and make sure you avoid the specific problems.

This web-site is literally filled with every possible thing that could go wrong. Once you have been reading for a while, you see the patterns, and see there are really only a few things that can go wrong. And yes, pressure from family is among the top problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi VeggieHaylee!

When my husband and I first went vegetarian we started out by sitting down every Sunday to plan out our meals for the week. At first it was a little competition about who could pick out the best new recipes. Then, as we tried new foods, it became exciting to plan all of these new things to eat. We were so excited about the new things we were eating that we didn't pay attention to what we were giving up.

As for favorite recipes, I've really been enjoying all of the zucchini recipes during the summer and adding quinoa makes them extra delicious and filling. I've also tried a few different vegetarian lasagna's which have been great.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi again. I wanted to butt in here again to address the attitudes of your family.

I can understand that you are in a dynamic where loved ones do not want you to experience disappointment or failure. This is over protective, and at some point you do need to get a bit selfish, and say, "I don't care what happened to you, I want to see for myself." Obviously You should be more pleasant about it than I am.

It is okay if they try, but not okay if you try. That seems odd to me. Just because someone you know crashes a car does not mean you should never drive. If someone you know gets fired, it does not mean you need to stop working. If someone failed a class in school, does not mean you should avoid that class. If someone had a horrible relationship, it does not mean you should never fall in love. See where I am trying to go with this?

I am sure that you will do fine and make good decisions by yourself. The worst that could happen? Maybe you might get the "too much fiber bathroom syndrome." Maybe you will have meat cravings. Maybe you will go to someone's house for dinner, and find everyone has conveniently forgotten you are a vegetarian. You need to think about what you will do in those situation in advance and make sure you avoid the specific problems.

This web-site is literally filled with every possible thing that could go wrong. Once you have been reading for a while, you see the patterns, and see there are really only a few things that can go wrong. And yes, pressure from family is among the top problems.
Hi, Gita. :shy: Thank you so much for your advice. I agree with you. I was upset and confused on why they didn't want me to do it and all this other stuff when they had once decided to do it themselves. But I did end up telling them both when they said those things that I understand that it'll be difficult at first, but it's something I really want to do and I wanted to see how it would work out for me. My sister still seems annoyed by it though. I really don't understand why it bothers her so much. But I don't care, lol. :lol:
______

Hi VeggieHaylee!

When my husband and I first went vegetarian we started out by sitting down every Sunday to plan out our meals for the week. At first it was a little competition about who could pick out the best new recipes. Then, as we tried new foods, it became exciting to plan all of these new things to eat. We were so excited about the new things we were eating that we didn't pay attention to what we were giving up.

As for favorite recipes, I've really been enjoying all of the zucchini recipes during the summer and adding quinoa makes them extra delicious and filling. I've also tried a few different vegetarian lasagna's which have been great.

Good luck to you!
Hey Ashlilee! :shy: That's funny you say that about the zucchini because today I actually had a meal based around it and I loved it so much. Thanks for you tips. I really should start planning some meals so I'll always have something just in case.
_____

Also, just wanted to do a little update. Everything has been going really well this week. It's been a little hard not being able to eat some of my old favorite foods, but when I remember everything I've learned and seen I'm just fine, haha. And a lot of the time when I see meat it kinda makes me sick. I mostly just crave it when I think about it, not when I see or smell it. I've also actually cut out some make-up products that I've found out test on animals. Overall, I'm really happy things have been working out. :shy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts