VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to a local community college to hand out vegan literature. Seriously.

A pitbull runs into the street so I stop my car and notice there are 3 other cars stopped too and the drivers are trying to catch the dog. She bolts towards another street, an even more busy street with 6 lanes of traffic. I turn my car around and follow her into a parking lot. I lose track of her. (I was told later that she got hit by a car at this point, but that it was going pretty slowly.) Then I see her again in a parking lot and I pull in.

Two men start chasing her around the parking lot. The poor dog is frantic. She is scared out of her mind. She is running as fast as she can to get away from anyone and everyone. She tries to jump a brick wall but can't and ends up smashing her mouth up. Now she's running around with tire tracks on her back and a bloody mouth. I park my car in a way that I think might corner her and I jump out, leaving the door open. I crouched behind my car and say nice things like "It's OK sweetie. We're going to take care of you." And I try not to look her in the eye. Meanwhile, the men are still chasing her.

She leaps into my car and curls up in the passenger foot space. She's panting like crazy. I slam the door shut and go to talk to the other people about which vet to take her to and if anyone knows her "owner" and so forth. I have to admit, I was damn scared to get back in that car with a bloody fearful pitbull but I climbed back in slowly, making the same nice noises as before. And I drove her to the vet. Every time I'd look over at her she'd curl up tighter and avert her eyes. She was soooo scared. Poor thing.

At the vet, a tech carefully removed her from my car and they checked her out. She got some pain meds and they say she's OK for now so another woman who helped with the rescue took her home. She will foster her until a home is found, but already one of the two men who were trying to catch her says he wants her. He just lost his two great danes and so I guess he's ready to be a dog-owner again. I offered to pay to get her spayed if she's not already and to help out with the cost of removing her broken teeth.

So, a happy ending!

Oh, and then I went to the college and handed out 150 leaflets

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should admit, I have tried and failed to rescue other dogs, so the reason I shared this story is to be a hopeful happy tale that makes you smile

·
Banned
212 Posts
She got into the right car. I don't know about the USA but here pit bulls are banned and will be put down if the police find out.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Good for you and everyone else who tried to help.

The man who wants to take her isn't one of those guys who thinks it's *cool* to have a pitbull, I hope? If not, great - too many pitties in the pounds and shelters, with no hope of adoption - an immediate home is a good thing.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofulicious View Post

She got into the right car. I don't know about the USA but here pit bulls are banned and will be put down if the police find out.
Yeah, the U.K. is terrible, with its breed bans and the influence of breeders and dog fanciers on placing a premium on certain looks over health and welfare issues.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good job. I like stories with happy endings. You might suggest to the lady who's fostering her that she contact a pit bull rescue group in the area to do an assessment on the dog. It would be in everyone's benefit (including the dog's) to find out what kind of a home is suitable for her.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, while at the vet one of the things I did was call someone I know who is in a Pittie rescue.
The guy definately did not seem the type to be mean or macho about dogs.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Good for you, and good luck to the pitbull.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I should admit, I have tried and failed to rescue other dogs, so the reason I shared this story is to be a hopeful happy tale that makes you smile
It did! Yay, I'm glad it all worked out. I think I'd be too scared to interven myself, very gutsy!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Thanks for sharing that! If I were going to make a list of reasons why today was a good day, reading your story would be one of those reasons.

HIP HIP HOOORAYYYYY for ElaineV!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts