VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian right now, but I would really like to go vegan. I've been thinking about it over the course of the past month, but there's one really stupid thing holding me back...

I originally went veg for health reasons, and never gave much thought to animal welfare. Earlier this year, I got a dog from a breeder... and a less than reputable breeder at that. As far as animals go, my mind has been changed in the short time since then. I know this may seem like a stupid question, but once I go vegan, will people who know me and my dog ask questions about this? I know that (most?) vegans don't generally buy dogs from breeders, especially backyard breeders. I love my dog, but I'll admit that it was an impulsive decision and I should have adopted.

How can I handle questions from other people when I explain my new diet/lifestyle?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You can tell them that you got him from a breeder. Just be sure to mention that you didn't think about all of the homeless animals in shelters at the time and that you will be sure to get a rescue next time.
Don't let the little things hold you back. Sometimes people ask about your new diet/lifestyle because they are genuinely interested, and sometimes people will ask you because they are looking for someone to poke fun at. It doesn't take long to figure out who's who. It's best to keep your answers brief and to use a non judgmental tone. You can expand when you are sure they are genuinely interested. Just be sure to end it before their eyes glaze over.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me! Six years ago, my husband bought me a Chihuahua from a breeder for Valentine's day - he paid a ridiculous amount for her, too. But in all honesty, having her in my life was the final impetus for me to go fully vegan a few months later. I often tell people that she was my inspiration to go vegan, and that's the truth.

My second Chihuahua was a rescue - as will any more in the future. And now I foster Chihuahuas for a local shelter. So, don't feel bad for having made the choice that you did - let it go. Enjoy your new lifestyle - and congratulations on making a wonderful decision to go vegan!

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
I basically eat vegan, but not to the point that I worry if food had milk or egg in it. I just dont use it when I cook.
I do not however consider myself vegan, or deserving of the title, even if I did eat strict vegan.
I still have my leather in my cars and home theater seating. I wear leather belts and shoes.

by the way Poppy, I love the Chihuahua in your picture

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's a process, and one that I've not fully completed yet. Don't worry about others judging you. They'll do that whether you are "perfect" or not. Meat eaters will feel attacked when you talk about what you are doing and why (even when they are the ones asking the questions). And mightier than thou vegans will police you beyond belief (I could reference about 10 threads here off the top of my head). Do what is right for you. And Poppy's experiences raise some good points.
I'm a believer that every bit counts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

I basically eat vegan, but not to the point that I worry if food had milk or egg in it. I just dont use it when I cook.
I do not however consider myself vegan, or deserving of the title, even if I did eat strict vegan.
I still have my leather in my cars and home theater seating. I wear leather belts and shoes.
This is pretty much what we do, too. You always have the choice of just not calling yourself vegan.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

by the way Poppy, I love the Chihuahua in your picture
Thank you - that's "Poppy" - the one mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Enjoy your new lifestyle - and congratulations on making a wonderful decision to go vegan!
+1.

I have 4 cats that I didn't get from a shelter from my pre-vegan days. I can't change my past decisions so I have to just live with it. The last 3 cats I took in have all been rescues though.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
My mom bought me my puggle from petplus (i know, i know).
I was in sixth grade and clearly knew nothing about puppymills, etc.
Eventually, I gained knowledge about them and found my chi on petfinder.com a rescue
I love both of my dogs!
I say go vegan, screw what everyone says! Now you know better , like me !

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvegan18 View Post

How can I handle questions from other people when I explain my new diet/lifestyle?
Just be honest about your decision. Say you made it before becoming a vegan and before you were in possession of all the facts about breeders, but now you know better and wouldn't make the same decision again.

Other people asking you about this could end up being a good opportunity for you to spread the word to people about this issue of dog breeding without them accusing you of shoving it down their throats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my bichon frise, fluffy, from a petstore when i was six. I didn't know about puppymills, and I feel bad about it, but at least now I would never get a dog from there. I still love her just as much tho. My next dog will definitely be a rescue!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts