VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
besides the obvious(milk,cheese,yogurt) what are some thing hidden in the ingredients list i should avoid. i already know to avoid vitamin d3 and casein.

·
Registered
747 Posts
if an item says dairy free* or has any type of asterisk, always look in the fine print or ingredients. sometimes I've assumed something was vegan because it was "dairy free", "lactose free", etc, but sometimes found hidden traces of dairy products in the ingredients. *sigh*

·
Registered
435 Posts
In the USA at least they have to list any milk ingredients as an allergy warning. Look at the bottom of the ingrediant list and usually it'll say something like Contains: soy, wheat,......(sometimes in bold letters).

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post

if an item says dairy free* or has any type of asterisk, always look in the fine print or ingredients. sometimes I've assumed something was vegan because it was "dairy free", "lactose free", etc, but sometimes found hidden traces of dairy products in the ingredients. *sigh*
This was a big wake up call for me when I first started out.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your advice, im going to go dairy free starting this weekend. also isnt there something called "chelate" thats dairy?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morna View Post

In the USA at least they have to list any milk ingredients as an allergy warning. Look at the bottom of the ingrediant list and usually it'll say something like Contains: soy, wheat,......(sometimes in bold letters).
This law was passed Jan '06. However, if it's shelf-stable and was in the warehouse or similar, it still might not list. They were allowed to sell everything still that they hadn't produced with proper packaging.

And this is only in the states.

·
Registered
897 Posts
a chelate is a substance acting as a ligand that binds to an iron molecule to add stability (helps keep it from being broken apart). i'm far from expert, but i'd guess it's a preservative. as to the origin of the substance is, i have no idea. do we have any chemist/nutrionist types on board?

thanks for making me google this, i learned something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nrunner View Post

thanks for all your advice, im going to go dairy free starting this weekend. also isnt there something called "chelate" thats dairy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts