VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am over weight well obese and have border line high blood pressure. I am loosing weight now but a close friend started eating vegan and showed me a website by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D. (do not know about putting links in so I did not) and the research he done and the benefits of eating vegan.

I would like to know if some people here can help me out. I have been reading a lot on it and read that you can become deficient in b-12 iron calcium among others. I have a multi vitamin that gives me 6 times the b-12 daily recommendation. So I am ok there but what about the others. Also Amino Acids I read that this could be a problem but that you need to mix grain with beans and it becomes a complete protein.

Please any help as I want to do this but I want to be healthy and not lack things.

I am begging someone to help me as this might just make me have a longer life and not be cut short from the way I have chosen to eat in my past.

PLEASE AND THANKS

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
B12 is the only one you cannot naturally get from your food, however it is fortified in most/many vegan milks. You may consider getting a nutrition book or going to the "World's Healthiest Foods" list, they have some amazing information there to figure out where you want to get your iron and calcium from, but in a well varied diet they shouldn't be a problem. I've been vegan for six years and have a blood test every year, I've never been deficient in anything.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Calcium and iron are really easy; leafy green vegetables for both. Spinach, broccoli, kale and so forth. Soy milk tends to be fortified with calcium and B12, and the same goes for a lot of cereals. You can also get iron into your diet if you cook with a cast iron pan.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about what I was told about the grains and beans needing to be in the same meal to get a whole protein the amino acids I believe it was. Meat has the full range of them I was told.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post

What about what I was told about the grains and beans needing to be in the same meal to get a whole protein the amino acids I believe it was. Meat has the full range of them I was told.

Thanks
I suggest looking at the Vegetarian Society's very helpful website for information on vegetarian nutrition: http://www.vegsoc.org/health/

As long as you are getting protein from different sources, you are fine. Your body also stores amino acids, so it is easier to be getting complete protein then you think. Quinoa (a grain) is a great vegan complete protein that you might want to try.

In the beginning, I suggest using sparkpeople.com or a similar website to track all of the foods you are eating. The website is designed for people trying to lose weight, and you can keep track of the nutritional content of all your foods. One mistake that new vegans tend to make is not eating enough calories. This is a great way to make sure you're getting what you need. If it's not perfect on the first day, keep trying. You won't develop nutritional deficiencies overnight.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:

Can someone else help me with this. I want to do this the right way from the beginning.

Thanks
IMO unrealistic expectation, you have a lot to learn and unlearn. That being said the book you read was an excellent start, go whole food plant based, vary what you eat and your going to be 95% of the way there.

I highly recommend the Happy Herbivore cookbook for quick healthy meals and the Fat Free vegan blog. Both excellent resources for learning how to cook new meals.

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
I'd second Fosters recommendation of Whole foods, especially while loosing weight.
Fatty tissues contain triglycerides as well as cholesterol. You can burn off triglycerides for energy, however the bodys only way to get rid of cholesterol is by turning it into bile (like a soap that helps you absorb nutrients from food) and bile gets recycled. Fibery foods like whole grains and oatmeal grab hold of the bile and get rid of it so your body can make more out of more cholesterol thats floating around in your blood.
Without enough fiber the cholesterol liberated by weight loss just builds up in bad places like arteries and the gall bladder.
My best friend had an emergency gall bladder removal because he rapidly lost weight on a low fiber diet.

Good job, deciding to live healthier

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been eating healthy lost 45 pounds in about 5 months. Just now it is weird that I have lost weight my body feels different. I now have high bp on meds for that and other things. And from Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D. I can get rid of it eating this way. I am reading on this more and more and think maybe just go to vegetarian first then go to vegan rather then just jump right in. If I do just jump right in will my body feel different in the first little while.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:

I have been eating healthy lost 45 pounds in about 5 months. Just now it is weird that I have lost weight my body feels different. I now have high bp on meds for that and other things. And from Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D. I can get rid of it eating this way. I am reading on this more and more and think maybe just go to vegetarian first then go to vegan rather then just jump right in. If I do just jump right in will my body feel different in the first little while.
Some people notice a change right away, but it will vary by person. I certainly don't think your high blood pressure will disappear immediately or anything.

It may be an easier transition if you make the change gradually. People do either way. The important thing is that you make a change that sticks! If you go vegetarian first, you might find it easier to stick to. The abrupt change to veganism might be difficult and frustrating (though it can and has been done!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know my bp will not go away right away. But the studies he has done has shown amazing effects on bp and cholesterol.

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,
I went vegan to ward off the heart disease and other health problem the plague both side of my family. I am also trying to lose weight. It's up to you rather you do it gradually or jump in right away. It's best to do whitch ever way you think you can stick with. I'd reccomend reading alot that way you'll be well informed. Books that helped me a lot are: How To Prevent And Reverse Heart Disease, Becoming Vegetarian *has info for vegans too, Eat to live, The China Study, andVegan For Life. In turms of Recipes I use Vegan On The Cheap and The Happy Herbivore Cookbook all the time. Some good blogs are Fat Free Vegan and Happy Herbivore. Also the Mcdougall website has a ton of recipes. The way I make sure I'm getting all my nutrient needs met is I'm eating a lot of ruits and vegetables particularly dark leafy greens, I eat lot of whole greains like brown rice and whole wehat pasta whitch are great for protein and fiber, I eat a little fat in the form of foods like olive or nutts and nutt butters rather then oil, I eat some mock meats I make myself because thy're tastey and full of protein, Lastly I take a multi vitamin. to just be absolutely sure I'm getting everything I need particularly B12. You don't have combine foods to make complete proteins your body can make complete proteins from what you give it as long as you eat a variety of foods throughout the day. Other websites that might help answer your questions are The Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine and The Vegetarian Resource Group... Both have tons of info.
Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps.
Audrey

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks and I have read 2 of them books. I will write the rest down and go to the library Monday to see what others they have. I eat grains and greens now lots of them. I love brown rice and whole wheat pasta.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only other things I can think of right now are if your still aiming to lose weight track your food. It's really helpful to know how much your takeing in plus if you use a site like My Fitness Pal or Spark People you can track nutrients too. Everything else is just the normal stuff drink lots of water and exercise.. If I find anything else I think might help I'll post it.

Audrey

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just joined fitday. I will track it through there. Yes please anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated.
Also I do not want to eat processed anything I know there are a lot of vegan mean substitutes but they are processed as well. Does anyone make their own would love some recipes.

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
I make my own vegan faux meats. A lot of cookbooks and websites have recipes. My pepperoni recipe is from Vegan On The Cheap, my bacon recipe is from Vegan Brunch, my chorizo recipe is from The Happy Herbivore Cookbook. I'm currently in the process of trying out different italian sausage recipes to pick my fave same with meatballs so far my fave meatball is from Vegan On The Cheap but I've got more to try. Oh and my fave maple breakfast sausage is from Vegan Dad whitch is a blog. I've found it's waaay cheaper to make my own whitch is important since I'm on a fixed income plus it's more fun to know you made it yourself. There are also a ton of recipes for cheese sauces think Valvida type of whitch my fave recipe is from Appetite For Reduction and parmesan that are pretty good.

Audrey

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I thought I'd address your concern about amino acids and combining proteins. It is a myth that you need to eat plant protein in certain combinations during the same meal in order to make a complete protein. Also, quinoa and soy are considered "complete" proteins.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks I will look for them books. Looks like I have a lot of reading this weekend lol. But I need to know what to eat and learn more about veganism as I go.

Also thanks for telling me that is a myth as I did not really understand why it would be true.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I thought I'd address your concern about amino acids and combining proteins. It is a myth that you need to eat plant protein in certain combinations during the same meal in order to make a complete protein. Also, quinoa and soy are considered "complete" proteins.
It's a myth, yes, but it's not wrong that it's preferable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts