VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend was shopping there last night, and saw some of the Bettas weren't doing too well,and asked an employee if the fish were ok. The employee said the bettas aren't fed, but it's common for them to die.

WHAT??? they purposely and intentionally don't feed their betta fish, so when they get shipped in those plastic containers, they stay there!

·
Registered
814 Posts
What did the store manager say Photojess?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

One of my Facebook friends recently posted a picture of a betta at Walmart, it had less than an inch of water in the little cup. She said she found someone and complained, and the worker just said something about customers sometimes poured the water out of the cups.
When someone asks me things about produce I often give the same kind of callous remarks about the produce, "apples jump down all the time, it's fine."

But apples aren't alive, and it is fine. Fishes are alive and it's horrible that employees are trained to think of them like products.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

When someone asks me things about produce I often give the same kind of callous remarks about the produce, "apples jump down all the time, it's fine."

But apples aren't alive, and it is fine. Fishes are alive and it's horrible that employees are trained to think of them like products.
Actually apples are alive until they are consumed... If you took a vegetal cell from a fresh apple and put it in a culture media, it would grow and divide itself. But I get your point though! Vegetative and animal life are fundamentally different from each other. I'm just being a little pedantic
See my post in this thread.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
That's awful. :/ If I see betta fish on sale, I think I'll ask about their feeding and complain as well if they aren't being cared for. Thanks for the info. I've also seen hermit crabs with painted shells and complained. I just don't see why painting them is necessary - to appeal to kids, I guess? Their shells are beautiful on their own.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to write in the first post, that she even bought betta food, took it back to the fish, and tried to feed them. 6 out of 8 were too sick to even feed.

I went and talked to a customer svc manager today,and I should have asked for the store manager, told him the tale of my friend asking an employee if they were ok, what the employee said, and his response are the fish are fed in the morning, and then I asked him why they were in bad enough condition for her to even have to ask an employee if they were ok, and when she took the food back to the fish to attempt to feed them, that 6 out of 8 were too sick. He said he didn't know, but would pass the information on the dept manager. I told him maybe he should take a look at them himself, and letting fish starve wasn't acceptable, which he agreed with.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is very sad. I saw a beta fish in a wal-mart where I was going to school. I'm not sure about if it was fed or not, but the water was incredibly dirty and of course it was in a small cup. I wanted to take it back to the dorm, but that would've put money into wal-mart's and the producer's pocket. Maybe this is an issue that could use some awareness raising?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what the gestation period is for bettas, but would bet it's not long. I'm sure there isn't a whole lot of financial investment on Walmart's part in those fish. they probably pay more for the plastic container, than they do the fish.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, but I wouldn't want to drive up demand and encourage practices I find so repulsive.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Sometimes I see them and think about how it would be so easy to steal one or two or five, but something stops me

·
Registered
201 Posts
One time I was in the walmart pet section and saw an unsupervised kid shaking and swirling the betta cups as hard as humanly possible asking "who wants to die today?"

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

One time I was in the walmart pet section and saw an unsupervised kid shaking and swirling the betta cups as hard as humanly possible asking "who wants to die today?"
The betta cups are bad enough. This is awful. I hope somebody stopped him.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I started to say something, but he ran away first.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

I started to say something, but he ran away first.
That's good.

I would have cornered that stupid little punk and yelled up a storm at him. No freakin' respect these days.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.