VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was walking my two dogs (a Pug, Frank, and a cocker spaniel golden retriever mix, Lady). I brought along a water bowl and a cold water bottle to give them some if they got thirsty, and they were drinking plenty of water, but my Pug just collapsed. He began to sit down, and I offered him water, which he didn't want, and after a few minutes he got back up and kept walking, but after about five minutes he just laid down. I offered him water again and he still didn't want it. After a couple minutes I tried to walk again and he still didn't want to get up. He was just kind of crawling and dragging his body down the sidewalk. I picked him up and carried him home. I know Pugs have a problem with heat, but even Lady was starting to sit down and she kept trying to lay in the shade on people's grass lawns, though she was drinking a lot of cold water, too. So I carried Frank home and him and Lady drank some more cold water with ice cubes and laid in front of a fan, but after about an hour Frank threw up everywhere.<br><br>
Last week it was overcast and cool, but it started to get warm yesterday, and when I walked them yesterday Frank was starting to sit down and didn't want to walk, and when we got home he threw up again, too. I know this can't be good for either of them, but at the same time I want to take them on walks. I have a good sized yard for them, but I think it's good for them to have the socialization and extra excercise part of walking. I walked them in the morning, and not for that far each time, but should I get up earlier to walk them, and still walk them for even shorter walks, or is there anything else I can do? What do you do about walking your dogs when it's really hot, especially Pugs?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Dogs with short snouts (such as Pugs) have a difficult time regulating their body temperature so I wouldn't walk if it is too warm, it could be dangerous for him (sounds like they might have been overheated). Can you walk your pups really early in the morning before the sun gets too high or when it is setting and starting to cool down? I live in Arizona (it doesn't get much hotter than here) and walk our furkids after 7:30pm (if I walk them in the morning the walk is completed by 7:00am) and I walk on a dirt road next to an alfalfa field that is down the street from my house. It is much cooler than walking them on the concrete sidewalk. The concrete and asphalt can hold heat for a few hours after the sun sets.<br><br>
Hope your furry friends are feeling better!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I walk my dogs at dusk or after dark when it's hot. One of mine especially cannot handle the sun. Even if it's only 70-75 degrees, if the sun is beating down he gets too hot.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
With our pug, I really make sure that he gets a good romp in the yard and encourage inside play when it is over about 85. Our house is pretty big, so we can handle having the dogs on the run. I also walk early in the day or late in the evening.

·
Registered
468 Posts
be very careful, definitely sounds like heat exhaustion. As desert mentioned, pugs can barely breathe when they are cool and resting, much less when its hot and they're working a bit. They can't cool themselves through their respiratory tract very well like most animals can. Most people I know w/ pugs don't walk them when its over 70 degrees, especially if it's sunny. My only ideas would be to walk him very early in the morning, or walk him near a river where he can cool off a little. In a pinch you could put some cold water on his toe pads to try to cool him off a little until you can get home. There is not a great solution though...they just weren't meant to be out in hot weather.<br><br>
heat exhaustion isn't far from heat stroke, so I would be very hesitant to put him in those situations again.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
We just had two days over 100 degrees. It was quick trips outside for the pugs. Tucker can tolerate it a little better, but Mollie gets very wheezy after only a few minutes. We have been all business outside. I'm glad it's back to the 80s this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts