VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Wal-Mart is using the word "Organics" as a way to identify healthy/natural foods, rather than organic food itself. Shame on you, Wal Mart.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...position=link6

Quote:
A year after Wal-Mart (WMT) laid out ambitious plans to become a much bigger player in the organic foods business, the giant retailer is running into trouble over its organic effort with consumer activists and government regulators.

It was March of 2006, at an analysts' conference, when Wal-Mart's vice-president of marketing, Stephen Quinn, said that the company would double its offerings of organic products within weeks. The company promised to make organics affordable to more consumers by offering what executives called "the Wal-Mart price."

Now there are questions about whether "the Wal-Mart price" might come at a cost to organic foods. State officials in Wisconsin have launched an investigation into the retailer's practices after complaints that Wal-Mart may be misleading consumers
You've got to see these photos:

http://cornucopia.org/index.php/misl...od-at-wal-mart

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
yep that is intentionally misleading, i wonder though, on the yogurt and sugar for instance, i buy the fat free stoneyfield plain yogurt organic and the package looks just like that one, only says organic, its white and blue, not pale yellow like the other organic packages.

and also i have bought the organic florida crystals at walmart and the package looks exactly like that one only clearly says organic on it.

just wonder if that one is an honest mistake since the packages look so similar.

the produce one is bad though.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, their "Organics" labeling is not meant to demonstrate which products are organic, so there's no confusion to be had. They're using the "Organics" name to show which items are "natural foods", not to show which items are actually organic.

It's pathetic.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
I would have imagined a watering-down of the organics sold in Wal-mart to the absolute minimum required by law (at the cost of the welfare of agricultural workers). This mislabeling borders on reckless, given their history of class-action lawsuits. Time will tell what kind of press this will draw. We'll have to see if this PR campaign will work for Wal-mart.

I also know that part of Wal-mart's attempt to become more "environmentally sustainable" is training workers to change their lifestyle habits. Their most effective measure has been keeping wages low enough to prevent their employees from purchasing personal cars. :p All this said, increased energy efficiency in actual stores could do a lot of good.

ebola

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Looks like Wal-Mart is using the word "Organics" as a way to identify healthy/natural foods, rather than organic food itself. Shame on you, Wal Mart.
I noticed that, and it pisses me off. I buy non-organic stuff, but it's really misleading.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Huh? I didn't know they were lying... they're misleading people, but they're not lying. I don't think.
I think putting a label that says "organic" on a non-organic item is lying. This is equivalent of labelling food as "walmart calorie free" when it is not calorie free. Or say Microsoft namings it's new operating system "Microsoft Virus Proof".

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Isn't misleading about the same thing as lying?
I think it depends on intent.

There is not much way anyone could convince me that Wal-mart was unintentionally misleading (not lying) people about the "organics". They are big fat lying liars, and that has been shown repeatedly.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

>>When did it become smart business to lie to customers>>

Assuming the customers won't find out...or assuming substitutable goods are in short supply, well, since the dawn of commerce.

ebola
Maybe our idea of "smart" is different, and then I would not assume that the customers would not find out, because they often do.

And in my world, the good people always win.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts