VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez, I got used to eating good, bulk cinnamon like in my oatmeal. I ran out, so just grabbed one of those dollar bottles you can get now, and gaggers:(

Made me realize, I want quality in my seasonings from now on. I hope I can find a good, close place to buy in bulk, as I know I can afford it if I use it sparingly. I am turned off to using any bottles or containers of my fave seasonings.

Feedback welcome:) I'm in an "out of the way" tiny town in Nw CA, so I don't know about finding what I need. Brookings is closest, 20 miles, so I'll check there first;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeh, stale spices are like sawdust.

Depending on how motivated you are, some spices can be bought whole and will store much better for it as the essential oils will be more stable in the whole spice. I like whole nutmeg for grating, whole cinnamon sticks for rice pudding amongst others. Indian spices are also more stable whole dried. Though it is more of a faff to prep them as they have to be dry pan fried and then crushed before use.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, stale spices are like sawdust.

Depending on how motivated you are, some spices can be bought whole and will store much better for it as the essential oils will be more stable in the whole spice. I like whole nutmeg for grating, whole cinnamon sticks for rice pudding amongst others. Indian spices are also more stable whole dried. Though it is more of a faff to prep them as they have to be dry pan fried and then crushed before use.
Oh man, well, I will start with some bulk items, although I do my ginger whole, then grate it. I can also try nutmeg. Would you believe I haven't the slightest what whole netmug, lol, oopsie, nutmeg looks like;)?? Guess it's time for google hey;)

Thanks Spud, I'll check it out;) denise

PS my cinnamon tasted gravely, although fine gravel, still gravely, LOL!!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Bulk spices aren't necessarily better than spices in jars. Both can be old; both can be fresh.

I've always been fond of Frontier spices; theirs have always been fresh, IME. Unfortunately, there aren't that many spices that I can buy a pound at a time and use up while they are still fresh.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bulk spices aren't necessarily better than spices in jars. Both can be old; both can be fresh.

I've always been fond of Frontier spices; theirs have always been fresh, IME. Unfortunately, there aren't that many spices that I can buy a pound at a time and use up while they are still fresh.
That's a good point, I can't literally buy "in bulk" as I just can't eat it fast enough being only one of me;) It's just this cheap thing I bought for a buck. Cinnamon, ground, but not close to being ground nice like the bulk was;)

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
If by bulk do you mean like a natural food store where you can just fill as little as you want in a bag? I wish they had to date their stock because I have gotten things that seemed stale. It is nice to be able to sample a spice--like juniper berries.

I have lots of cheap dollar-or two for a dollar- bottles! The onion and garlic powders are fine, and honestly I've been ok for cinnamon. Now I'll have to get some good stuff to compare!

Ginger, nutmeg, garlic I like to grate fresh, and mustard seed and cardamon pods. Nothing like a real nutmeg! I got a bottle of those nuts at a discount store a while back and the powder really falls short on taste

I've never tried fresh tumeric even for as many times as I shop the Indian stores. I use it all the time, I should.

Cumin is one I'll stick to cheap stuff. I just don't use enough. I bought the seeds and they were too potent, and never ground finely enough to evenly distribute. I used to use them a lot heated in oil, then developed quite a dislike, now I just a little with other spices
I just bought glass bottles of dehydrated sage and thyme called Lighthouse-
https://www.litehousefoods.com/product/search?f[0]=im_field_products_categories:6882
Again, at a discount store. Paid about $2.35 but seemed cheap, cause, a discount store! They are very good though!
I just bought a bottle of Trader Joes 21 spice salute. No salt, a blend of every spice and herb that I like, along with citrus zest. I don't like it. I've only tasted it by itself, but it doesn't taste right, all those flavors together with the citrus. Anyone have this? I thought it would be more like the original Mrs Dash, but there seems to be soooooo much more.

Definitely want to grow more fresh herbs this year- I've grown lots of rosemary and basil, parsley, lemon thyme, and chives, but this year I want everything, and most grown from seed. I'll even do cilantro for other people!

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
If by bulk do you mean like a natural food store where you can just fill as little as you want in a bag? I wish they had to date their stock because I have gotten things that seemed stale. It is nice to be able to sample a spice--like juniper berries.

I have lots of cheap dollar-or two for a dollar- bottles! The onion and garlic powders are fine, and honestly I've been ok for cinnamon. Now I'll have to get some good stuff to compare!

Ginger, nutmeg, garlic I like to grate fresh, and mustard seed and cardamon pods. Nothing like a real nutmeg! I got a bottle of those nuts at a discount store a while back and the powder really falls short on taste

I've never tried fresh tumeric even for as many times as I shop the Indian stores. I use it all the time, I should.

Cumin is one I'll stick to cheap stuff. I just don't use enough. I bought the seeds and they were too potent, and never ground finely enough to evenly distribute. I used to use them a lot heated in oil, then developed quite a dislike, now I just a little with other spices
https://www.litehousefoods.com/product/search?f[0]=im_field_products_categories:6882
Again, at a discount store. Paid about $2.35 but seemed cheap, cause, a discount store! They are very good though!
I just bought a bottle of Trader Joes 21 spice salute. No salt, a blend of every spice and herb that I like, along with citrus zest. I don't like it. I've only tasted it by itself, but it doesn't taste right, all those flavors together with the citrus. Anyone have this? I thought it would be more like the original Mrs Dash, but there seems to be soooooo much more.

Definitely want to grow more fresh herbs this year- I've grown lots of rosemary and basil, parsley, lemon thyme, and chives, but this year I want everything, and most grown from seed. I'll even do cilantro for other people!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I don't have a lot of choices on where to shop unfortunately, but yes, when I bought the cinnamon in bulk bin, I just weighed out how much I wanted. I didn't mean I'd shopped like at Costco or somewhere;)

I don't like the sound of the citrus in that "mix" . There's a lot I haven't tried, but I do lean towards the anti-inflammatory things like pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric I think is one as well. I do love the fresh garlic and ginger root (grated) so good:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Silva, I have both of those right now. I've not tried tumeric on anything I've cooked, don't know what it tastes good in so I need to research that. I never used to use pepper much at all, now I dump it on there!! Love it:) Especially since I am not using Salt, it seems to help me forget about "salty" lol:)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Add me to the list of those who grate their own nutmeg. There really is no comparison.

Silva, I like TJ's 21 Spice Salute. I use it in my cauliflower soup, on cauliflower and broccoli, and often in tofu scrambles.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Ok Silva, I have both of those right now. I've not tried tumeric on anything I've cooked, don't know what it tastes good in so I need to research that. I never used to use pepper much at all, now I dump it on there!! Love it:) Especially since I am not using Salt, it seems to help me forget about "salty" lol:)
http://nutritionfacts.org/2015/02/05/why-pepper-boosts-turmeric-blood-levels/
I add them both to all kinds of grains, minestrone, even oatmeal with raisins! Tumeric on it's own has a kinda musty, weird smell and taste, but i like it with foods. OH yeah, cabbage! I use a lot of both in steamed cabbage and collards. Theres a dish I've made with steamed cabbage, kasha (buckwheat groats), the pasta that's like "little hats" in Italian (orchette?)sauteed onions, golden raisins, liberal curry powder and cracked black pepper! Thats a really good one I should make before it gets too far into spring! Nice winter dish
And black pepper- can't even understand the appeal of letting it sit around in powdered form in shakers. Blech. That I only like freshly ground. I do need a good grinder. I've been reusing the 'diposable' ones by heating the cover to get it off.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Add me to the list of those who grate their own nutmeg. There really is no comparison.

Silva, I like TJ's 21 Spice Salute. I use it in my cauliflower soup, on cauliflower and broccoli, and often in tofu scrambles.
That's encouraging! I see it every time I go there, I had to try it because I love everything in there!

I bet it's good on sweet potatoes with the citrus zest!

·
Semi-lurker
47 Posts
I like Mountain Rose Herbs. I get a lot of my spices there, and when it comes to cinnamon, be sure to get Sri Lankan (true) and/or Saigon cinnamon. I usually blend 1:1. Most cinnamons are cassia which isn't really a true cinnamon.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh gross, now I put the cinnamon (the cheap stuff) into my oats and boiled it with them, and it still came out gravelly?? What did they put in as filler, real rocks:( Oh well, I'll live until I can find some good stuff.

I'm having some depression, can't figure it out. I don't take any meds, because in the past, I tried some and it made me feel worse after a couple of months. Not more depressed, just physically not good. I kept going and doing, eating etc. but I never felt normal. Whatever that is.

So now, here comes the old depression again, and I'm eating good, sleeping good, exercising, what the hell:( Denise

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
It could just be too course of a grind (things are in the dollar store for a reason)
Or it really may be adulterated with sand (again... dollar... reason). That happens. I recently bought a cup of cayenne thats adulterated with sand, I cant just add it straight, I have to add it to water, stir it, wait for the moment when the sand settles but the cayenne doesnt, and pour off my cayenne-water leaving the sand behind. Its annoying but I can still make soup! :laugh:
For more than five years now my market has sold red pepper powder that doesnt list salt on the ingredients but is visibly filled with salt crystals. American food products rely on 'self regulation', sadly. You have to stay on your toes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It could just be too course of a grind (things are in the dollar store for a reason)
Or it really may be adulterated with sand (again... dollar... reason). That happens. I recently bought a cup of cayenne thats adulterated with sand, I cant just add it straight, I have to add it to water, stir it, wait for the moment when the sand settles but the cayenne doesnt, and pour off my cayenne-water leaving the sand behind. Its annoying but I can still make soup! :laugh:
For more than five years now my market has sold red pepper powder that doesnt list salt on the ingredients but is visibly filled with salt crystals. American food products rely on 'self regulation', sadly. You have to stay on your toes.
Hi Auxin, thanks for reply to my "grumpy" self. Your info helped, I didn't know about the sand thing, but believe it for sure. Yes, the dollar tree, or now Walmart, who is of course trying to run DT out of biz, has their dollar products too.

I got the best, as you may have read above, at in bulk, seemed like pure powder, and so good:) You could even smell it through the plastic bag, and jar I put that in to keep it fresh. Speak of, we should just keep seasonings that are dry in a cupboard I'm hoping?

Well, maybe I can try the boiling thing to save the cinnamon that is in this cheap brand. Thanks again:) I appreciate you all so much:) denise

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Cumin is one I'll stick to cheap stuff. I just don't use enough.
We must cook completely different. I use up cumin quicker than any other spice, with oregano a close second.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts