VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about whether people here do volunteer work. If so, where and why? If you could volunteer for any organization, what would it be and what would you do?

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Hey, you do know that so-called "volunteers" don't get paid, right? (simpsons joke)

I would like to volunteer at the local shelter, but my allergies couldn't take it. If I find such a program I'd like to do work with a shelter that takes homeless (or not) animals to special-needs homes and the such on daytrips. I think that's great for the animals to get out and about, and it's great for the people who, for various reasons, cannot care for their a companion animal of their own, but love the company nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I volunteer at the Nebraska Humane Society. If money were no object, I'd quit my job and do that full time.

I also occasionally prepare meals for one of the homeless shelters, but the last time I did that, they made beef stew and it grossed me out. I'd like to get a veg society/club or something in Omaha going and then go to one of the homeless shelters and cook veggie meals once a month or something, but haven't had the time to organize anything.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's awesome everyone.

Muppetcow: I think that it would be a wonderful idea to serve veggie meals to homeless people. Wouldn't it be cheaper, especially if the beans and other ingredients were bought in bulk?

·
Registered
739 Posts
We've just created the Vegetarian Society of Alaska!
We got a business license and everything! Now we're looking forward to a trip down to Kasilof this weekend to check out this all vegan community they have down there (the Ionia group) and holding our first public forum next Monday. We're looking to become a non-profit eventually. In the meantime we'll be heading up all sorts of volunteer opportunities! I'm SO psyched!

Hey Muppet, if you want to get something started, try just posting some flyers for a weekly chat at a local coffee shop or something. Then you can just start planning more stuff from that. Or better yet, just come up here and join me!!!
Aw, c'mon! Pretty PLEEEASE?
(Y'know we are also "rare" up here!
)

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
A few years ago I volunteered a couple Saturdays a month at the Atlanta Humane Society. I loved it, because I worked only in the cat room. (I don't dislike dogs, but I'm a definite cat person. Besides, one got loose when I tried to put a leash on him to take him for a walk, and we had to chase him down. Not fun.) I went in around 8am. We'd clean all the cages, feed and water them all, then spend individual time with them all before we opened to the public.

I used to get frustrated with the public coming in with their kids and not watching them. One day a little brat went around opening the doors to several of the bottom row cages. A couple of cats got loose, but luckily someone closed the main door to the cat room before they got past it.

I quit because it's 25 miles from my house. The drive and getting up that early on a Saturday was beginning to wear me down. I nearly passed out my last day there due to lack of sleep. (I know, my problem, not theirs.)

I miss it. As much as I love my three cats, it's always fun to go visit with the many cats and kittens there. Though there was always at least one that I connected with and wanted to take home with me. But three is enough.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I volunteer at the local Humane Society. I love it. It's hard not to get attached to the animals there but it's great to see them go to a loving home. It's so rewarding.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AuroraLily

Muppetcow: I think that it would be a wonderful idea to serve veggie meals to homeless people. Wouldn't it be cheaper, especially if the beans and other ingredients were bought in bulk?
Exactly!! They feed somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 or more people at each meal. I think a really good vegetarian chili or bean stew would be great--easy to make, feeds lots, fairly cheap to make, lots of protein, lots of fiber.

Last time I was there, I was appalled at what they were feeding these folks. I know if you're starving, any food is better than none, but it could hardly be considered healthy. Especially since they feed kids, too.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I will hopefully begin volunteering at the Indiana State Museum in the near future. I go to the training seminar next week. I also may volunteer for a local cat rescue organization. Plus I plan to try to do some volunteer work with my church.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What will you be doing at the museum Kraftyfraft?

I do volunteer crisis counselling right now. We're get called on-scene to help fire, police and ambulance provide practical and emotional support to victims and their families of crime and tragic circumstances. I love it and want to do this as a career.

When the time is right I'd also like to become a Big Sister. My husband and I would also like to volunteer at the local humane society. I'm just affraid I'll get too attached to the animals and want to bring every one of them home with me!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I am not sure what exactly i'll be doing at the museum - I checked off gift shop attendant, greeter and information center as my preferred volunteer areas. I also signed up to work in the teacher's resource room, but that is a daily thing and when I get a job, I won't be able to go every day.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I used to volunteer for Dress for Success (www.dressforsuccess.org). It's a national organization that helps low-income women transition into the workforce. Many of the women are abuse survivors, single moms, formerly homeless, etc. It was a wonderful experience. I had to stop because our local chapter was too far from where I work and I couldn't attend their meetings anymore.

I just started volunteering at a place called the Center for Hope. It's a local non-profit that offers free counseling to people grieving the loss of a family member and also to people with terminal illness. They have free one-on-one couseling and specialized therapy groups.

I was always feel more "whole" when I am volunteering.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Currently, I am not volunteering anywhere. I was going to volunteer at the local animal shelter, but when I went to turn in my paperwork, I had a somewhat loud disagreement with the woman working there. I tried volunteering for a boarding kennel not far from my house, but they don't take volunteers.

Since I don't drive and there isn't a bus system here, everywhere else is too far. Otherwise, I'd try volunteering at local vets and the people hospital.

Since I celebrate holidays that are a few days off from the Christian holidays, I think it would be nice to spend Christmas and Easter in children's hospitals or helping to feed the hungry.

I'll definitely start volunteering when I move. I'd love to work with wildlife or farm animals. Especially since I couldn't bring them home with me. If I worked around dogs and cats, I'd end up with way too many.

A dream of mine is to someday buy property and start an animal rescue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I volunteer at a non-profit medical service agency that helps low income uninsured persons obtain free and reduced cost prescription medicines and helps children get prescription eyeglasses. I file and keep their filing system in order. I like being able to help others in a quiet, behind the scenes way and I'm hoping my volunteer work will help me keep my skills up and give me a good reference when looking for a paying job in the future. I heard about a postion at a nursing home where a volunteer is needed to read letters to the residents and help them write letters as well. I'm thinking about switching to that or doing both.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts