VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Oh no! That pesky vegan outreach is at it again, trying to spare the most animals possible by sharing honest scientific statistics. How dare they!

It's not like the booklets they print and have distributed to 15 million people clearly say "vegan" on them or promote kindness towards all animals or anything like that.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noo I am serious! I love VO. I was confused about your statement so I kept mine short haha *interwebs disconnect*

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it got confused when I said I didn't want to cause conflict. What I meant was I didn't want vegetarians thinking I was ganging up on them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So snappy and assuming. Ask next time before you assume I'm being sarcastic about veganism, please. I support VO and wanted to post the article because even though I am vegan so I don't have to choose, the article makes a lot of really great points.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I'd re-post that on FB but it would probably piss of my friends that actually *are* vegetarian. I love VO as well. Their pamphlets prompted me to go vegan.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Good article, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

I'd re-post that on FB but it would probably piss of my friends that actually *are* vegetarian. I love VO as well. Their pamphlets prompted me to go vegan.
Right, which is what I wanted to avoid. But I dont have any vegetarian friends on fb, so I posted it. And someone reposted it

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

Right, which is what I wanted to avoid. But I dont have any vegetarian friends on fb, so I posted it. And someone reposted it
I tweeted it. I should put it on FB too

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Getting pissed off might make them think

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Only thing that makes me pause is the metric used. I haven't eaten/used eggs or things that use them in years, but using the quantity of animals effected as the measure of impact seems really problematical. I don't really have an idea of what would be better though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VO didn't write the article, I just saw it posted on their FB page and thought I'd share. I personally liked the article because it does make you pause and think about how using one animal product that seems it would be less harmful really causes more widespread suffering and death. I just remember veal and male chicks from milk and eggs and it reminds me why I'm vegan, and not just vegetarian anymore.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Good article. I know vegetarians probably don't want to think they are contributing to animal deaths and suffering, but the sad truth is that they are. Maybe a lot of them don't realize what goes on in the egg and dairy industry, so if they're curious, I would tell them to watch "Meet Your Meat" or hand them a VO pamphlet that explains it all waaaaay better than I could.
book2.gif

·
adapt. evolve. become
1,374 Posts
Interesting, so milk and cheese requires less death. But does that include how many baby cows die for it? :(

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

Interesting, so milk and cheese requires less death. But does that include how many baby cows die for it? :(
:(

·
adapt. evolve. become
1,374 Posts
Just pointing that out. So if you want to kill less animals, you'd be lacto-vegetarian. Of course, veganism still beats lacto-vegetarianism because there is no need to use milk products.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I wish I had seen numbers like these from a relatively impartial source years ago. I finally stopped eating dairy when I did the math myself regarding dairy cows' lifespans. Eggs I gave up earlier for the cruelty factor.

Regarding baby cows, through IVF, the dairy industry can actually produce beef cattle (raised to adulthood) selectively for pregnancies. So the babies aren't always going to veal production or waste, although I'm sure they still are with some frequency as there are still veal farms visible here in "dairyland."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts