VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much always given my dd's vitamins for some reason or another. My 3 yr old was anemic at 2. The dr. told me to give her an iron supplement, which is about 150% of the RDA. A moth or so later she was fine, so I just gave her a regular vitamin with about 67% or something. She hasn't been checked since, but I still like to give her a vitamin with some extra iron. I went to Whole Foods to get a vitamin for her, and I could only find one with any substantial amount of iron in it. It has 120% for children under 4 if given 2 tablets. I was planning on giving her 1 tablet, also because of the high doses of the other vitamins. Well, my husband thinks even that is too much, because the fat soluble vitamins have really high amounts. I was also dismayed when I realized the Vitamin D in the vitamin comes from fish. Anyway, I've been giving her half a tablet, but now she isn't getting much iron. So, if you've made it through all of that, can anyone explain this stuff to me? Mostly, I hear children don't really need vitamins, and it's usually the more "natural" moms that don't give their kids vitamins. So, why do the more natural vitamins have such high doses of things like Vitamin A and E, the vitamins that are potentially harmful? Does anyone know of a good vegetarian vitamin with a nice amount of iron but not too much of the other vitamins? TIA!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Here's a more natural children's vitamin that I found online. Dr. Fuhrman is pretty well-respected by some people here:

http://drfuhrman.com/shop/pixievite.aspx

I choose not to give my kids vitamin supplements (they are 3 and 1). When my oldest was 10 months he had borderline iron levels so we supplemented iron for a few months until his levels increased to his doctor's approval. At that point we took him off the iron and just paid a lot of attention to healthy diet. At his 2 year checkup his iron levels were great just on diet alone.

HTH!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, just to note: the iron in vitamins can actually interfere with the iron absorption in breastmilk. A lot of people give their kids vitamins "just in case." Unfortunately, however, the vitamin ends up interfering, actually causing a deficiency!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.