VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there's a thread for this somewhere but I can't find it.

What vitamins do you all take? I'm transitioning for ovo/lacto veggie to vegan and my mom said something about how I should probably be taking vitamins. And she's right I'm sure but I don't know what to look for. Is there a staple multivitamin for vegans?

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
I incorporate vitamin B12 into my food, and vitamin D as well during the winter months. All other vitamins are best supplied by a proper and diverse diet.
Unless you intend to be a junk food vegan, thats really all the vitamins you need.

In many instances synthetic vitamins or vitamin analogs (like found in multivitamins) can cause imbalances that can lead to medical problems or at least provide no benefit. Examples are "vitamin E" not protecting against heart disease and cancer because its the natural mix of 4 tocopherols and 4 tocotrienols from whole grains that are balanced right to do that, folic acid increasing rates of prostate and perhaps other cancers by an as yet unknown mechanism whereas food folate doesnt do that and may help prevent prostate cancer, ß-carotene and refined "vitamin A" promoting lung cancer and possibly other problems while the natural mixes of carotenes and carotenoids from plants helps prevent cancer... the list goes on, point is that purified or synthetic vitamins are rarely needed unless ones diet can not provide them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
b12 and iron.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew we need B12 I just needed to make sure there wasn't anything else.
Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
B12 is the only thing I take regularly.

If I'm indoors for a while then I'll take D or a multi.
If I am sick I will take extra C and zinc.
I'm never low in iron so if I take a multi it's usually iron-free because the extra iron just make my tummy hurt.

·
Registered
245 Posts
B12 but in the change of season fall-winter when everyone gets sick I take a vegan multi I found at whole foods.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This may be a dumb question but since I use nutritional yeast made for vegetarians will that contain the vitamins I may be missing out on?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I take a vegan multi called Veg1 which has everything the Vegan Society thinks vegans might need (B12, D, iodine, selenium, B2, B6, folic acid - I'm mostly just concerned about the 2 first ones). During the winter months I take extra vitamin D since more recent research shows we may benefit from more than 400IU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn69 View Post

This may be a dumb question but since I use nutritional yeast made for vegetarians will that contain the vitamins I may be missing out on?
If it contains B12 it will be listed in the ingredients list since nutritional yeast doesn't have this vitamin naturally. And even if it's been fortified with B12, you probably want to eat other B12 fortified foods as well to ensure you get enough of it, and/or take a supplement. Not sure about other vitamins, but I doubt it will have vitamin D for example.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
I don't take a vitamin normally, but when I do it's a multi minus iron. We have a bottle of B-12 because my omnivore mom is deficient (the bottle happens to be vegan, as well) so I take one every so often. I also consume foods fortified with B-12 (I also go through nutritional yeast phases sometimes; put the stuff on EVERYTHING). Now that winter is pretty much here I think I'll start taking a separate Vitamin D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I'm never low in iron so if I take a multi it's usually iron-free because the extra iron just make my tummy hurt.
Uh, that reminds me. I once took a multi that had iron (while normally taking iron-free ones when I do) and ended up vomiting it up (wasn't on an empty stomach, either). I usually get more than enough iron from my diet, though, so no need to take a vitamin with iron.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't even take a vitamin anymore. I just monitor on SparkPeople every so often to be sure I am getting what I need from food. I am vegetarian but eat vegan most of the time. There are a lot of foods fortified with B12.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I think it's important for every veg*n to get their Vitamin D and B12 status checked annually, just as I advise my omni friends to do the same. Until you know where you actually stand you cannot make decisions on what is 'enough' regarding your daily intake. The potential ramifications to your health are just too great to ignore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I take a multivitamin for vegetarians with extra iron and B12. I only recently noticed the multi itself isn't vegan, it contains whey powder - I think they must have changed the composition because I *know* I checked when I started taking them. Once my salary comes in I'm ordering Veg1 in stead. Other (non-vitamin) supplements I take are a vegan Omega-3, and cranberry capsules because I'm pretty susceptible to UTIs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I take B12, D, DHA/EPA, and used iodized salt. The rest I'm pretty sure I get from food. I tend to eat leafy greens like candy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts