VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. I was just wondering what vitamins you take, if any. I know that I am anemic because I tried to give blood and that was the reason I couldn't. So, I thought I'd post here to see what has and hasn't worked for my fellow vegetarians. :p
I'm 18, female and a college student. So try to think of cheap vitamins or things I could do since I'm short on money.
Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I take a women's multivitamin every day, and I am careful to buy vegetarian ones, which they sell at natural foods stores and Whole Foods, among other places I'm sure. (Many multivitamins contain gelatin or fish products of some sort.) I also take a B12 supplement. B12 is a nutrient that is only found in animal products these days naturally. Many cereals and other things are fortified with B12, but I take a tablet just to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Just because you failed the test for iron to give blood doesn't mean you're anemic!
http://www.bloodcenters.org/docs/iron.pdf
Iron levels fluctuate through the day, and having just a coffee or tea is enough to lower your level for a time.
Was this the first time you tried, or a pattern? No one should supplement iron without known deficiency.

I also take Deva tiny tablets multi 3 times a week, B12 3 times a week, and Deva vit D2. I also take V-Mega 3- vegan omega Dha (algeal) daily. Get them all from Amazon very reasonably.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried to give blood before, but my iron was low that time too. There is a little pharmacy within walking distance from my college and I'm thinking about going there to ask if there are any veg vitamins before trying to order them online.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid92 View Post

I have tried to give blood before, but my iron was low that time too. There is a little pharmacy within walking distance from my college and I'm thinking about going there to ask if there are any veg vitamins before trying to order them online.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!
The person working there will likely not know if the vitamins are vegetarian or not. I would recommend reading all the ingredients yourself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, lol. I will do some research.
Anyone know of a website that lists the non vegetarian ingredients in vitamins?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I just take a general multivitamin, which has b12 in it & a separate zinc vitamin. All from Superdrug which is veggie friendly (I don't know where you're from though.)

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
The only two non-vegetarian ingredients you would need to look for (that I know of) are gelatin and fish products. If there is fish in them, there will be an allergy warning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, thank you Dormouse

StandbyMe, I will try to find a vitamin without Folic acid, or one that has a low content. Thank you for informing me of this

·
Registered
379 Posts
I take a multi from Platinum Naturals called VitaVegan and I take a liquid b12 supplement from NOW Foods because I am super-paranoid about getting enough b12. I also take a calcium supplement, but this is because bone loss runs in my family.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I take a sublingual B-12 supplement daily (er, when I remember
) and also a vegan women's multivitamin.
My doctor wants me to take Vitamin D and calcium also. She doesn't know anything about my diet, she just told me that I should be taking those as well
I'm good, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I could broaden the question... does anyone take a vitamin that is made from REAL ingredients (i.e. not synthetic)? Everything I've been researching says that synthetic vitamins, which do not contain DNA, cannot be recognized by the body (probably hence the article on Yahoo! cited above). While I don't want to be deficient, I don't want to do more damage to my body. I think the cheapo stuff you get on the shelf at CVS is.... well, you get what you pay for. I completely understand budgetary constraints; I feel that myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I take Omega 3 gummy vitamins twice a day, which is supposed to help replenish the lack of omega 3 in your body ( Omega 3 is found in fish oils ). The gummies are made for adults, and I bought the vitamins at CVS so it's definitely not that expensive. If you go to a local pharmacy, they should have different vitamins, depending on what you need.

Hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethiogirl41 View Post

I take Omega 3 gummy vitamins twice a day, which is supposed to help replenish the lack of omega 3 in your body ( Omega 3 is found in fish oils ). The gummies are made for adults, and I bought the vitamins at CVS so it's definitely not that expensive. If you go to a local pharmacy, they should have different vitamins, depending on what you need.

Hope that helps!
The BEST source of omega DHA is from algae, NOT fish!

No traces of mercury, no by catch, no cruelty! No fishy taste either!

If they're gummies, have you checked for gelatin? I don't know if I've seen vitamin gummies that weren't made with gelatin.

I take omega DHA. I've gotten V -mega, Ovega 3, and now Schiff Mega Red plant based. They're all vegan, and the Schiff are the only ones with an algae taste- which hasn't come back up at least. I get whatever amazon has the best deal on.

As for whole food vitamins, I do love Alive! by Natures Way powdered protein/vitamin drink. I can't say it's all organic, but I got it when I first went veg, and I like the taste in OJ, it mixes well, and I feel more energized longer when I have it in the morning than from coffee.

I have had whole food vitamins but they're big, and you need several. I just have alive shake occasionally, and take Deva calcium, D, and mag, and a B12 2 to 3 times a week. And the algae dha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
luxdancer, look into phosphorous for bone health... I wish I had a link handy. Try David Wolfe (there are some good lectures on youtube)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts