VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Sirstompely
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering what the best way to get vitamin D is. I've been vegan for a while and I really struggle to get enough vitamin D. My skin is extremely photosensitive so going in the sun even for a short time to get vitamin D is not an option for me which makes things difficult. If i have to take supplements I will but I was just wondering if there's other ways.

· Registered
4,480 Posts
If you don't want to supplement, you can try drinking several servings of plant milk per day. Most plant milks such as soy or almond milk are fortified with vegan D2 (ergocalciferol) which is plant based. D3 (cholecalciferol) is derived from fish oil or lanolin (from sheep). There are vegan forms of D3 now that are derived from lichens and are just as effective. I periodically have my D levels checked due to a bone condition I have that is closely monitored medically. I have taken Nordic Naturals vegan D3, and also Vitashine vegan D3 for several years now (both are sublingual drops, not pills) and my D levels have been testing in the healthy range (and I live in NE Minnesota so that says a lot!). There are other fortified vegan foods that have D in them such as vegan yogurts and energy bars like Cliff or Larabars. Personally I prefer just to take a supplement as needed, and in summer months I am outdoors a lot cycling, hiking, canoeing etc and cycle to work daily so I get plenty of D then. I'm not sensitive to the sun though. Strangely, I used to burn very easily as I am very fair, but I kid you not since going vegan in 2011 I have had maybe one minor sunburn, have rarely ever used sunblock, and have spent a lot of time outdoors. I really don't know what happened that I suddenly stopped being sensitive to the sun, but I am not complaining! I think I actually read somewhere that if you are getting enough vitamin D hormone and are storing it well in your body, it seems to have a protective effect against the sun. I'll have to see if I can dig up the study I read on that somewhere.

· Sirstompely
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info! I do drink almond milk and almond yoghurt but probably not enough. Vegan supplements seem like an easier route tho. I've been extremely photosensitive since birth since my skin is so pale and barely pigmented. I don't burn I just blister and it gets bad so I have to stay out of it as much as possible and wear hats and long sleeves in the summer. (I even get sub burns in the winter months if i'm out long enough) Hopefully veganism can help me in some degree but i'll definetly look into vitashine. I get ,y blood work done once a year to keep track of my vitamin and mineral levels. Thank you so much

· Registered
4,480 Posts
Thanks so much for the info! I do drink almond milk and almond yoghurt but probably not enough. Vegan supplements seem like an easier route tho. I've been extremely photosensitive since birth since my skin is so pale and barely pigmented. I don't burn I just blister and it gets bad so I have to stay out of it as much as possible and wear hats and long sleeves in the summer. (I even get sub burns in the winter months if i'm out long enough) Hopefully veganism can help me in some degree but i'll definetly look into vitashine. I get ,y blood work done once a year to keep track of my vitamin and mineral levels. Thank you so much
You're welcome! I'm sorry your condition is so awful! It sounds painful. I usually order my D online through Amazon.com or Vegan Essentials and get a three months supply. It is hard to find vegan D3 (or D2) locally but I have had some luck. Ironically it seems to be more expensive in the local health food stores around here than ordering it online and having it shipped. I believe DEVA brand is another reliable vegan supplement company that sells very reasonably priced vitamins and supplements.

· Impeach the gangster
9,622 Posts
Sunlight of course is the best source of vitamin D. Unfortunately, few foods have D, and most of them are animal-sourced, like egg yolk, beef liver, and fatty fish. Certain mushrooms, like shiitake, have vit D, and also tofu.

Regarding supplements, there are two kinds of vitamin D: D2 and D3. Either one will do. D2 is plant derived; however, it takes much larger doses of D2 to get enough. D3 is the best way to go; however, most D3 supplements are animal-sourced. Only in recent years have plant-based D3 supplements become available, so, if you supplement with D3, be careful about which one you buy.

I live in a cloudy area, plus I'm not exactly the outdoorsy type. I presently supplement with the D3 shown below. It's available as 1000iu or 5000iu. I use the smaller one. (800iu daily is recommended for adults.) It's about $12 for a two-month supply. There are other brands available too. If you're currently low on D, and you decide to supplement, you might want to double-up on the doses, until your levels come up.

Attachments

· Sirstompely
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've also noticed that they're a lot more expensive locally then online. Online is easier to access anyways so thanks I'll take a look at these supplements. And yeah it sucks since it's hard to find vegan sun screen not tested on animals so i just wear long sleeves and pants. I've needed skin graphs to remove damaged skin. I struggle to get vitaminD and calcium which is sort of important lol. Thanks guys I'll definetly check these out!

· Registered
2 Posts
One of our guest writers wrote a short article on vitamin D deficiency with some tips. Generally speaking, mushrooms, fortified orange juice or mylks, and supplements are probably the best bet if you can't get more sun exposure.

Regarding the vegan sun screen, have you looked into (link removed - Mod) .. We've had good experiences with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.