VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my dietician expressed her concern at the lack of B12 in my diet.

She informed me that the amount I need daily was 10 micrograms in tablet form, or 4 micrograms if consuming fortified foods.

My current Vitamin B complex tablets contain 1 microgram.

Does this therefore mean that I will have to consume 10 of these a day?

Or could I obtain a tablet with a higher amount?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
1 microgram in a B specific supplement? That's absurd! I can't even find a multi with less than 35 mcg. I also have little strip things you put on your tongue and they have 1,000 mcg.

I'd say definitely find a new B complext tablet. Also, find ways to put fortified nutritional yeast into your diet. I'd say I use it in about half the dinners I make.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I also have little strip things you put on your tongue and they have 1,000 mcg.
They sound fun meatless! Do you know if I can buy them online?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
10mcg sounds a bit high, IMO. 2 mcg is what I've heard the recommended amount is.

That said, I take VegLife sublinguals which contain 1,000 mcg.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You might want to get a bottle of just B12. And take the recommended RDA. Because you don't want to get pernicious anemia.

By the way, has anyone ever thought that maybe a vegan diet isn't really an ideal diet as B12 is so hard to get this way?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I don't take B12 regularly. My blood levels of B12 are fine.

Did you know you can store it for a long time in your body, so regular supplementation only needs to be intermittent?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post

By the way, has anyone ever thought that maybe a vegan diet isn't really an ideal diet as B12 is so hard to get this way?
Actually it is found in the soil. The only reason it is in meat is because the animals eat the soil while feeding and ingest the stuff.

If we all ate locally grown stuff and it wasn't all super cleaned vegans would naturally get B12 as well. For those that grow their own gardens they are probably getting it.

And like organica said it is widely believed that we store it anyways and don't actually need it everyday as some would think.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
have you tried energy drinks? just looking at the 16oz one in my hand, Monster Khaos etc. etc. 6 micrograms of B12.

yeah, Aimra has the right idea, it's a cobalt based molecule made by bacteria found in the soil. chemicals are our friend, lets not go all ludite.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post

You might want to get a bottle of just B12. And take the recommended RDA. Because you don't want to get pernicious anemia.

I would not call it the "natural" diet... But it certainly is the diet for my ideals, but that's a different thread.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy chick View Post

Find a tablet that has a higher amount. Consuming 10tablets a day might be a little dangerous depending on the amounts of other vitamins in it.

The b12 tablets that i'm currenty consuming have 3times the daily amount of vitamin b12, and i take them every other day

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

And like organica said it is widely believed that we store it anyways and don't actually need it everyday as some would think.
I wouldn't say it's widely believed at all, except amongst people who perhaps haven't read much at all about B12.

People do store it in their body for varying amounts of time, but unless you're going to get a blood test consistantly to test for it to see when yours is running out...which seems kind of tedious to me...why not just eat/drink things fortified with it or take a multivitamin every day, and then you don't need to worry about it?

Consuming B12 is extremely easy, so I kinda don't get when people are stubbern about it.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:

Yesterday my dietician expressed her concern at the lack of B12 in my diet.

She informed me that the amount I need daily was 10 micrograms in tablet form, or 4 micrograms if consuming fortified foods.

My current Vitamin B complex tablets contain 1 microgram.

First of all, are you eating any fortified foods (fake 'meats', soy milk, etc)? It isn't hard to meet your daily requirement this way (2 cups of most soymilks will provide you with 100%). Second, have you had a blood test to see where your levels are?

It doesn't hurt to take a B12 supplement every once in a while. Personally I tend to go through spurts: I'll take them regularly for a month or two, then not take them for a couple of months. My favorite are the sublingual cherry flavoured kind - just stick them under your tongue and let it dissolve (or chew them up) - they taste just like candy

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

People do store it in their body for varying amounts of time, but unless you're going to get a blood test consistantly to test for it to see when yours is running out...which seems kind of tedious to me...why not just eat/drink things fortified with it or take a multivitamin every day, and then you don't need to worry about it?

Consuming B12 is extremely easy, so I kinda don't get when people are stubbern about it.
I'm not sure if you referring to me in that last sentence or not. I take a B12 supplement as I said in an earlier post.

In the post you were referring to I was just answering a question that asked if a vegan diet was ideal since you weren't able to get B12. I was just saying that there are vegan ways to get B12 naturally and that it isn't necessary to consume it everyday since it is stored in the body for some amount of time.

I wasn't trying to say you didn't need it or shouldn't take a supplement like I do. Sorry if it looked that way.

EVERYONE TAKE YOUR B12!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

First of all, are you eating any fortified foods (fake 'meats', soy milk, etc)? It isn't hard to meet your daily requirement this way (2 cups of most soymilks will provide you with 100%). Second, have you had a blood test to see where your levels are?
I am afraid that I do not allow myself to consume any fortified foods, and have not had any blood test to look at my B12 levels.

Do you think having a blood test would be a good idea?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:

I am afraid that I do not allow myself to consume any fortified foods, and have not had any blood test to look at my B12 levels.

Do you think having a blood test would be a good idea?
Definitely. In fact, I think it is a good idea for anyone, regardless of how much B12 they get in their diet, as not everyone can absorb it properly and may be deficient without knowing it. The result of a B12 deficiency is serious (possibly irreversible nerve damage) and is very easy to prevent. So yes, I think it is a good idea. Talk to your doctor and/or dietitian about this, and given the lack of B12 in your diet, I see no reason why they should refuse it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

I wouldn't say it's widely believed at all, except amongst people who perhaps haven't read much at all about B12.

Perhaps blood tests annually aren't such a stupid idea?

Perhaps you are unaware that B12 is best absorbed sublingually or by injection, so consuming fortified products does not give you the best absorbtion of the nutrient?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.