VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I noticed recently our sainsburys stopped stocking vitalite and I emailed them and they told me it's been discontinued

It's easily my favourite vegan spread, and now I'm using pure again and it's so rubbish I think I'm going to start buying vitalite elsewhere...

...but anyway, I thought I'd let you all know and if you've missed it too encourage you to let sainsburys know. They said they'd pass my complaint onto the buyers to discuss at the next meeting so maybe they'll start stocking it again *touches lots of wood* maybe if more people let them know they'll miss it too it'll help

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Aww, sorry to hear that. I am not a fan of Pure either (or Vitalite!) but it's so helpful to vegans and those with lactose intolerance to have them available.

·
Registered
313 Posts
They stopped stocking Vitalite in my local Sainsbury's. Someone from the local vegan group talked to them (we've got 100+ members) and they said they'd consider restocking it. Meanwhile, I get mine from Asda over the road where it's 20p cheaper.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I do my big shop at Sainsburys and did notice they didnt have it...Ill ask my mum to get it from Asda for me when she goes instead.
Also Co-Op have stopped selling their own brand washing up liquid...I dont know where Ill get mine now as although Superdrug and Sainburys are BUAV approved...their WUL doesnt feature the BUNNY logo.....yet *crosses fingers*

Earthling-What do you use if not Pure or Vitalite?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Goth-Alice

I can't speak for Earthling but personally I only use Vitalite and Pure in cooking - cakes and bread for example and even then I quite often substitute with oil. I never use it on bread - even from a young age I always hated butter and it's fake friends. Horrible greasy stuff is the way it appears to me

I just make sandwiches without it, or use vegan mayo instead if the filling is dry.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Earthling-What do you use if not Pure or Vitalite?
Nothing. Like Angie said I use it in baking on the rare occasion I do baking, but that's it. If I have a sandwich it'll be peanut butter or jam and banana which doesn't need butter. Same with toast, I have something on it like baked beans or jam.

I did use Pure for about a year but I realised I still didn't like the taste and was wasting money on it all the time so I stopped buying it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I buy Vitalite from my local Tesco's and use it everyday on my sandwiches. It's just as good as any regular margerine, but not as good as the I can't believe its not butter types. It is one of the few substitue foods that the whole family are more than happy to use, so we get through loads of it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ive never actually seen vitalite for sale anywhere. I quite like the Pure Sunflower one (NOT the soya one urg), and the sainsburys own brand 'freefrom' spread is good too. My opinion probably doesn't count, as i only use spreads when making cakes/icing or sometimes spread on a roll before its dunked in soup - and never use spread for anything else.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Ah, that explains why I haven't found it in Sainsbury's. I keep buying the Pure soya one but it is nasty honestly. I might go to Asda if Vitalite is cheaper there.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Nothing. Like Angie said I use it in baking on the rare occasion I do baking, but that's it. If I have a sandwich it'll be peanut butter or jam and banana which doesn't need butter. Same with toast, I have something on it like baked beans or jam.

I did use Pure for about a year but I realised I still didn't like the taste and was wasting money on it all the time so I stopped buying it.
Oh...hehe. Well I must admit Im a butter fiend. I love butter and sugar sandwiches...eep.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Drinking....melted vitalite...hehe

No I mean...why do we need to see a picture?? Its a tub of 'butter' with Vitalite written across it... :/

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
The lack of protein means many vegans suffer from poor eyesight. It's very sad and can only be combatted by looking at double the pictures of non-vegan butter:

But in seriousness he was just trying to be helpful

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

I dont doubt that he was...I wasnt trying to be rude...just seemed a little pointless as people in the thread already know what it is...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I didn't see your post as rude at all Alice, I was just confused why you were confused and thought I would ask rather than copy your smiley :) The reason I posted it, is I don't think the majority of people may have noticed a dairy free version. I have used Vitalite in its full dairy form plenty of times over the years and as with Flora, there are so many variations (original, light, buttery, no salt, white, cuisine, pro activ light, pro activ olive, pro activ buttery etc) you stop looking at what they all are and just stick to the version you know. When I turned vegan my wife mentioned vitalite did a dairy free version in Tesco, and I've shopped their every couple of weeks for years and never noticed it. I thought it might be helpful for people to spot easily if I posted a picture.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.