VeggieBoards banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
<p>Aemdis-  You are in a college town so I am sure you will meet some vegetarians/vegans soon.  I live in Fairfax County and have been eaten a plant-based diet for 7-years counting</p>
<p>the times I've fallen- (dived headlong-) off the bandwagon for dessert.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I quit meat cold turkey (ooh, sorry.  that really wasn't intended) when I learned that the USDA or FDA (can't remember which) had approved cloned beef  to go to market.</p>
<p>They were not originally planning to label the meat, but public outcry caused them to reconsider.  I read an article in Wired Magazine about that time that indicated some unscrupulous farmers had already sold the meat as "the real, non-cloned thing".  None-the-less, in a protest of one (or two if you include my son) I refused to knowingly</p>
<p>consume cloned meat.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When I learned 6 months later that farmers would be labeling the cloned meat, I felt I had overreacted. But by then I didn't want to lose the health benefits I'd gained by becoming vegan. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>And actually, I spent another year learning that things like gelatin (ground hooves), honey, casein (milk protein to melt cheese) and other once-obscure ingredients are not vegan.</p>
<p>So even though I originally considered myself quitting animal products cold-turkey, it was actually a gradual transition for me too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope you enjoy your school year with the students, and derive all the rewards that come from the care-giving profession of education.  Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
51 Posts
<p>I hope so.  I live far enough away for it to be a pain, but close enough to be able to go once a week or every two weeks to get good quality foods an things.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I dont think you were overreacting, I think its okay to have a strong personal passionate response to something.  I know I can be pretty apathetic and I dont think thats a good thing.  I am taking a stand on this and becoming a vegan for the non violence and environmental reasons, but I am also doing it for my health.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>and thank you, I hope my students take it easy on me this year :) haha</p>

·
Registered
22 Posts
<p>What age or grade level do you teach, and how long have you been in the field?  I taught classroom science for 7 or 8 years but that was a few years ago.  I loved the classroom dynamics (most days) and found dealing with some of (not all) parents the most challenging.  But I felt it was rewarding work that made a difference.</p>

·
Registered
51 Posts
I teach 8th - 12th grade... And this is my 6th year... I really like it overall, but don't ask me that on a bad day lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
<p>B    Live to Ride</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Not to puter savvy but struggling to get by.</p>
<p>I have been checking to see any messages, Its the only way I know to respond.</p>
<p>Doing well a little wet today.</p>
<p>Staying  Vegan and meals are getting better</p>
<p>Thanks for all your help</p>
<p>Have a beautiful day.</p>
<p>B</p>

·
Registered
195 Posts
<p>I live about half an hour north of Richmond. I love all the awesome vegan restaurants and I could spend all day at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in Short Pump. </p>

·
Registered
22 Posts
<p>I live close to Richmond. I do most of my vegetarian food shopping at Trader Joe's, Food Lion, Farm Fresh and local vegetable markets. All the places I shop for my food are very well stocked with various vegetarian options.</p>

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in northern VA :3 about an hour away from DC if traffic is good. I ship at MOM's organic market ^_^ I'm a full vegan!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts