VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my AP Biology class, we're dissecting sharks at the end of the year. I don't know what I should think about this. Immediately, I felt uncomfortable. Then I thought about how dissection can be important. I mean, I see how it can be important for people seriously going into anatomy or medicine in college, but high school? Not sure.

My teacher told me that these sharks are specifically bred for dissection too, and I don't really agree with that.

Would doing the dissection be against my veganism? I mean, it would be interesting but I find it inhumane.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If at all possible, I would choose not to participate. Going along with it would feel too much like I'm supporting the idea of breeding animals just to take them apart, when in reality I don't support it at all- especially when there are computer programs, books, and videos that can cover animal anatomy. I would ask the teacher if I could do something else instead, like maybe a detailed written report on the animal's anatomy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree with Bright Bird. I would not want to support that.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk!

·
Registered
84 Posts
You mentioned the thought makes you feel uncomfortable. You shouldn't do anything that makes you feel bad and you for sure shouldn't have to worry about it the whole year! School is to learn, not to worry. I suggest asking your teacher for an alternative. The Humane Society of the United States has a student loan program if you need it that borrows out alternatives. Try talking to her in person, or writing her a letter or email. Let her know it violates your beliefs and that you would rather be provided with an alternative. Be firm but polite. Don't go off on a long lecture, because it might turn her off. Do it as soon as possible. If it's too close to the dissection, and then you ask for an alternative, she may be less complient. Do it as soon as possible.

Would this really go against your veganism? This is really your own choice. Where do you draw the line?

Good Luck, and keep us updated!

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
i told my bio lab teacher i was vegan & she's a vegetarian (not AR, she's indian and said it's part of her culture) and we had an experiment with ox blood that I didn't touch.
we don't do dissections though, but i have my "cut class, not frogs" or whatever sticker right on my bio book ahaha

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dissection is our final exam. She said if everyone in the class takes the AP test, she will not give us a written final. I usually do not like to cause a scene when it comes to my love and respect for animals; I already do when a bug enters the room (I pick it up and take it outside no matter where I am). People think I am an absolute idiot for doing that... I don't understand why!

My teacher is not very friendly with my diet. She doesn't think it's natural at all... and I really hate bringing it up with her because it often offends people and makes them very defensive. I talked to her about it before and she said it shouldn't be against my beliefs.

Honestly, I'm thinking about dropping the class at semester because it causes so much stress and anxiety in my life. I shouldn't wanna put a gun to my head because of a class.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrocks719 View Post

The dissection is our final exam. She said if everyone in the class takes the AP test, she will not give us a written final. I usually do not like to cause a scene when it comes to my love and respect for animals; I already do when a bug enters the room (I pick it up and take it outside no matter where I am). People think I am an absolute idiot for doing that... I don't understand why!

My teacher is not very friendly with my diet. She doesn't think it's natural at all... and I really hate bringing it up with her because it often offends people and makes them very defensive. I talked to her about it before and she said it shouldn't be against my beliefs.

Honestly, I'm thinking about dropping the class at semester because it causes so much stress and anxiety in my life. I shouldn't wanna put a gun to my head because of a class.
That is bullsh*t. If she is making you feel bad for being a compassionate person, then you need to go over her head. Report her. Don't be afraid to stir things up- meek vegans suffer. If you live in one of the states on that list I posted she HAS to give you an alternative assignment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the support. It means a lot

And I don't live in any of those states- I live in Indiana

I could go off on my bio teacher forever. She always says how she loves animals so so much and how they're everything to her, but she's a huge meat eater. And she claims to be crazy about conserving the environment and everything. She said she's not a vegetarian because humans are supposed to eat animals. Makes NO sense at all. And she's a BIOLOGY teacher?!

And she said my diet is only working out for me because I'm "young."

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the support. It means a lot

And I don't live in any of those states- I live in Indiana

I could go off on my bio teacher forever. She always says how she loves animals so so much and how they're everything to her, but she's a huge meat eater. And she claims to be crazy about conserving the environment and everything. She said she's not a vegetarian because humans are supposed to eat animals. Makes NO sense at all. And she's a BIOLOGY teacher?!

She's an idiot. I'm sorry you have to put up with that, but it's something we all have to deal with. I'm lucky. My Environmental Biology professor is very pro-vegan. He eats meat, but he has stated that eating a whole-foods vegan diet is the healthiest way to eat, and that it is the best for the environment.

It looks like your best bet would be to drop the class. That way you don't have to deal with her crap and you can take something that doesn't require animal cruelty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I even showed her documents from a doctor about how natural a herbivorous diet is and comparing humans to herbivores and omnivores. She didn't believe it at all, and told me it was all myths. LOL

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, I even showed her documents from a doctor about how natural a herbivorous diet is and comparing humans to herbivores and omnivores. She didn't believe it at all, and told me it was all myths. LOL
What a f*cking dumbass. I guess she knows more than the American Dietetic Association.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:

What does that even mean?!

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk!

·
Registered
961 Posts
somebody thats friends with one of my friends posted a picture of them dissecting a cat in school.i almost past out it made me cry and the girl was smiling while she was dissecting. i flagged her or whatever that was called. it was the most horrific thing ive seen for a while and i wasnt even there. also in 7th grade we had to disect frogs in biology and i refused to do it and i wasnt even veg than because i just couldnt. i think if you have to dissect things for some kind of medical class or something ie in college it should be humans that donated there bodies. not an innocent animal because you dont know where they came from or how they died. but i guess in your situation you do know where they come from and thats awful to because they didnt even get to have a life. all i know is i wouldnt do it and i wouldnt be able to do it

·
Registered
78 Posts
Speaking from a Theistic Naturalist standpoint I could understand the need for dissection where common sence points to the greater good. I would not want a surgen working on me that had not done something similar before for example. Your teacher is dumb to disrespect your ethical views, that is just uncalled for.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I failed a college anatomy and physiology course last year because of dissections. I refused to disect a fetal pig. I talked to the instructor (who was not sympathetic) about doing something else...no dice. I failed over that and the rabbit dissection. The lab component was worth 40%. I have to do the course again and this time I will suck it up and do the dissection as this class is the only thing keeping me from getting into the BSN program. I've spent two years on other pre req's and worked at several health care jobs, and volunteered all to get into this program...so unless I want to completely abandon my career goal I have to do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh yeah today we had to take pictures with the sharks and smile with them.... lol I opted out of that.
I only took the class photo. But still, meh.

But I thought that was so disgusting; smiling next to a dead, innocent animal? Yeah right.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:

Oh yeah today we had to take pictures with the sharks and smile with them.... lol I opted out of that.
I only took the class photo. But still, meh.

But I thought that was so disgusting; smiling next to a dead, innocent animal? Yeah right.
That makes me sad to think about

1 - 20 of 22 Posts