VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a limit to how much money you would spend to save your pet?

I was reading in Stuff Magazine that someone took their goldfish to the vet in december to have radiation therapy costing thousands of US dollars.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I spent close to $2400 a few years ago when my cat needed veterinary assistance. And I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The defining factor for me was whether the animal could live a healthy life or would he have to endure years of pain and suffering. I asked the vet if having the surgeries would allow him a pain-free life... vet said yes... and that was all I needed to hear. The cat is healthy as ever now and more active than he has ever been.

To me it was a worthwhile expense.

<edited to add>The surgeries required were not due to his breed or anything. We lived in one level apartment complex (like a stripmall kind of thing) and he went from our back patio deck to the older lady's next door, and stuck his head inside her door. Poor eyesight I guess cause she used to come over and play with the cat. Anyway, it spooked her and she slammed the patio door and, in the process, broke his hip, leg and pelvis.
LL

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
There is absolutely no limit to how much I would pay to save one of my animals. I'd give my life for theirs in an instant, so money is no matter. If I don't have it, I will find a way to get it.

Gavin was once hit by an SUV and required surgery on his hip. After spending about a hundred dollars at the first vet we took him to, I took him to another because I wasn't confident in them. It ended up costing about a thousand dollars. We even took him to the vet within an hour after getting married. Nothing was more important than his well being. A lot of people thought I was an idiot for spending that kind of money on a dog. My mother was one of several who thought I should just have him put to sleep. That was in no way an option. I am so grateful for the years I have had with him since. You just can't put a pricetag on love.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There is absolutely no limit to the amount of money I would spend on my kitty. The only thing that would limit my spending is pain and suffering. If the vet said that even with me spending thousands of dollars her quality of life would be altered or she would be suffering a great deal along the way - that would probably give me pause. But as long as she would be healed without a lot of pain - the sky's the limit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I spent close to $3000 to save my dearly departed Rudy (cat). I agree with Robert, the defining factor is if the animal could live a healthy life. Unfortunately, Rudy's liver failed (because he wasn't eating) and the only option was a feeding tube. Which I would have done, but he still had a tumor. They had already opened him up twice and it was wrapped around his intestines. They would have had to remove 2/3rds of his intestines to take the tumor. Needless to say, he couldn't survive that. I would have paid anything to still see him first thing when I come home at night.

In remembrance of: Rudy 10/92 to 6/02

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
There are lots of people who will pay a lot (in addition to those who won't), my mother used to work for a vet, she told of all the people so incredibly devoted to their animals. (And some of the strange ways they'd show it!)

But I would pay a lot. My cat needed surgery for her ear that was causing her much pain, and a teeth cleaning and removal of rotten teeth. I didn't really anticipate the bill ($600). Luckily I could afford it if I put it on my credit card and paid it off slowly. I recognize not everyon can do that, and that is unfortunate.

People who own horses get health insurance for their horse bc the kinds of injuries they get are notoriously expensive to treat.

As for the gold fish- I've spent a lot on medicine for my goldfish, but I don't think I'd give him radiation therapy. But I guess I can understand. They can live a long time, and you can get attached. Goldfish are the best fish!

·
Registered
0 Posts
We have spent about $5000.00 in vet bills since we got our rescue akita 4 years ago. Most recently $1200.00 to have a cancerous tumor removed from his left thigh. There is no limit we would spend on him, as long as he was not suffering at all.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Every one thinks I am crazy. I spent 150+dollars on my old pet rat when she hurt her leg and caught a cold. I heard a lot of comments like " Spending that much on one little rat is stupid. You should just get a new healthy one for 7 dollars" I love my little ones and I would go without my own needs before they go without theres

·
Registered
0 Posts
A few months ago My little chihuahua, His name is Mighty mouse,was sleeping in bed next to me when I awoke abrubtly to him acting very strange. i called my mothers home where my sister in law lives and we arrived to the conclusion that he was having a seisure. Since it was like 4am my only option was the Emergency clinic. We all know how that works. I walked in the door and before I said anything I was stopped and told before we do anything we want you to know that the office visit would be $175.00 dollars regardless I said I dont care help my dog .

So i was waiting

with my dog alone in an empty waiting room for 20 minutes we were put in the exam room where we waited another 10-15 minutes. The doctor finnaly came in and I told her i believe he may be having seisures, I explained all his symptoms, he was salivated, urinating himself and so on.

She listened to his heart touched him and said, hes not having a seisure its just a muscle spasm and cgarged me anothe $75.00 for the meds and sent me on my way. So I paid the bill went home with my Little Mousky and sure enough it happened again. I showed back up at the clinic and the nurse answerd the door and said well theres nothing we can do for you because were about to close, you need to wait for a regular animal hospitol to open and take your dog to see them. i was floored. You could only emagine the rage! So i waited for my vet to get in teh office and I had already called him and drove the 45 minutes it takes me to get to him, hes the only place i trust taking my pets Ive known him for years and hes a great honest man. Well i took mighty mouse to him and we got there and sure enough, seisures. I ended up having to leave mouse there for 24 hour care for 3 days and the bill was in excess of $400.00 but hes good about letting us pay it off and that was with my 15% travel discount too no less. Anyway he told me that That doctor should be confronted and I should contest the credit card bill. i did just that and I inform everyone I know with a pet to seek out another emergency clinic option if it should ever arise. Money is no object when It comes to my little boys, my pets are my world and They mean more to me then life itself and Im so glad that mouse made a speedy recovery. That doctor put my dogs health and life in jeapardy by not listening to me or taking the time to realy examine him and run some tests. She had the nerve to fight me over the money and i wrote letters to her and the credit card company as well as my regular vet. he submitted letters to her and the credit card company along with me and the charges were reversed. I dont care so much about the money. It was the doctors neglegance that got me seeing red. Please everyone dont be left in the same situation that I was. If youre only option at the time is to see a different vet then your regualr vet, inform them of your pets history and ask as many questions as you can and dont leave untill youre absoloutly satisfied with your visit. Once I left that office i was basically told i was on my own. I hope none of you have to go through that.

·
Banned
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by girlystar

Every one thinks I am crazy. I spent 150+dollars on my old pet rat when she hurt her leg and caught a cold. I heard a lot of comments like " Spending that much on one little rat is stupid. You should just get a new healthy one for 7 dollars" I love my little ones and I would go without my own needs before they go without theres
That's so awful people would say that!! I don't think you're crazy. How insensitive the peopel who said that must be. I don't think you're the least bit crazy. $150 isn't that high for a veterinary bill, compared to so many others, and the emotional attachments between companion animals and their humans is something priceless, IMO.

I also would spend as much as necessary on my companion animals, as long as they would recover without the awful suffering. I couldn't "pull the plug" on my parents if I knew they could be saved, I couldn't do it to the sompanion animals I love.

Cassie

·
Registered
142 Posts
luckily, my kitty hasn't had any major problems that would require me spending alot of $$ on her...but if she ever needed me to, i would in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
if i was a millionaire, there would be no limit to the amount of money i would spend on my animals. but since i'm not a millionaire, yes there is definately a limit on the amount of money i would spend to save one of my animals. i keep my animals as healthy and happy as possible, through spending money and doing research into behavioural, nutritional and health needs. but if one of them requires major surgery that costs thousands of dollars, right now it's out of the question. i don't have insurance for my horse right now, but it's a possibility for the future because i would like to know i'm covered for him.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'd beg, borrow and steal to pay for any problems that may occur with my fuzzies. Most pets will set up payment plans, and there is pet insurance available for dogs and cats.

A rep from PetPlan told my class that the average amount that people in Canada are willing to spend on their pet's vet needs is $576.00. Anything higher than that, and the average person will decide to euthanize.

Girlystar, I know how you feel. People thought I was nuts when I spent $90.00 to have a tumour removed from my mouse. One girl said "Geez, just go to a pet store and get a new one for two bucks!" I really wanted to kick her ass.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I would like to say that Id move mountains for them, but I've never had to spent so much, and I know me. Odds are good that I would do anything and everything, but because it just hasnt happened yet, I just dont know.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have been lucky with my dogs, the worst they've had is a suspicious lump (was an infected bite) and a yeast infection in the ears. Same dog too, the other one is ridiculously healthy. I will err on the more cautious side of money, but if it came down to the life of one of my furkids then I wouldn't have a choice... I would do everything I could to save them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
We spent LOTS on my cat last year,

and its all on going costs as well,

He has an overactive thyroid and needed to be tested.

Also last year he had to go to the after hours vet..

And get an operation.. a drain in his check....

But we love him to pieces and would never get him put down just because he costs too much!

*DaNNy!*

1 - 20 of 28 Posts