VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, been Vegie now for just over a 3 months and i'm very glad I made the choice to quit eating meat. I feel i've gotten over the 'transition phase' and i'm settling a bit with a new diet. I'm no longer hungry all the time etc..

During that time though of feeling constantly hungry I indulged in snacks-a-plenty and now I reckon I have a bit of a sugar addiction now
I eat lots of Fruit & Vegetables, but also lots of chocco biscuits, cake bars and so on.

Got-To-Stop-Doing-It...Must-Not-Give-In-To-The-Impulse-Anymore

I'd appreciate it if someone could offer some feedback..

I'm 6'3, 33 years old and 15 stone in weight - How do I fair, am I overweight or teetering on the brink??

Here is my diet on an average day:

Morning

--Muesli, or run of the mill Breakfast cereal with Soya Milk

(I normally take 1 x Multivitamin also)

Lunch

-- Banana, Apple (or Lentil Soup with Margarine and lots of Brown bread)

Chocolate Snacks here and there throughout the afternoon

Dinner

-- Large plate of steamed veggies with humous

-- or Salmon or Tuna steak with boiled Rice, Vegetables

Snacks here and there throughout the evening

Thanks very much for any feedback, advice

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Hi! Welcome to VB!

at your height and weight you have a bmi of 26.2 which is technically considered overweight. But the BMI has some serious flaws, for example not taking into account the amount of muscle to fat on a person (muscle weighs more than fat). So if you are especially muscly you may not have an excess of fat even though you are technically overweight.

I would be starving and snacking on chocolate too if I only ate an apple and a banana for my lunch (although the lentil soup sounds good on days when you have it). If you have a proper meal at lunchtime you may find yourself snacking less. You might want to try replacing your chocolate snacks with healthy but naturally sweet things like fresh or dried fruit, if you want the sweetness. Nuts are also a good snack for keeping hunger at bay although they are quite high in fat.

Also, steamed veggies and hummus would not fill me up. You might want to add some carbs there. If you eat salmon and tuna, you are not vegetarian. Fish are animals too and are therefore not a vegetarian food. Someone who eats fish but no other meat is called a 'pescatarian'.

I hope this helped some. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I think simply replacing the snacks with healthy ones would help you out a lot, both in terms of nutrition, and it may help you to loose weight if you choose lower calorie choices.

Instead of a chocolaty snacks, you could have some more fruits/veggies, or a small handful of nuts, or dried fruit... Or you could make yourself some granola bars/muffins so you can control the amount of sugar, fat and sodium in them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i found out when i cut down on the simple sugars and processed food and replaced with thinks like whole wheat vs white bread,,,i wasnt as hungry as often

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you thank you.. i'm taking it all in.

The fish thing.. yea I hope to eventually cut that out too.. originally I stopped eating all meat though was persuaded to eat fish. And I found it quite difficult to go from All to Nothing primarily from the "what the heck is there else to eat" kinda thing.

Its amazing the amount of change that has to occur when you go the veg route.

The other thing that can be difficult is when you are used to others (partner) doing the cooking for all those years, and they are not as enthused as you are about the Veg thing and having to change the way they shop/ cook etc... just for you.

Thats a reason why I've never really had a larger prepared lunch also as I am in during the day alone though looking after my baby daughter whilst the main food cooker is at work.

ok.. still got a way to go.. but i'll do it!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniew View Post

thank you thank you.. i'm taking it all in.

The fish thing.. yea I hope to eventually cut that out too.. originally I stopped eating all meat though was persuaded to eat fish. And I found it quite difficult to go from All to Nothing primarily from the "what the heck is there else to eat" kinda thing.
no worries. People here are generally supportive of anyone moving towards a more-veg diet even if they aren't all the way there yet, they just aren't so supportive of those people calling themselves vegetarians.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for your supporting comments, appreciated.

I must say, beyond communicating here about these topics I never call myself a Vegetarian, Vegan, Fish'itarian, Bananatarian (whatever) or anything at all like that. As theres often stigma attached to such labels, and for some people it might mean an over inflated sense of pride or even an elitism.

I've seen some real Veginazi's in my day too, scary people. Don't eat meat, empathy for animals and all that but hold such arrogant contempt for their fellow human.

Its a mad world, but I guess thats a whole new thread topic

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the start of your journey toward vegetarianism.

An easy lunch for you might be a veggieburger or fake chicken patty sandwich with a salad or cut up veggies and a piece of fruit. I take that for lunch a lot. And I used to make beans and rice a lot but I've switched to making quinoa instead of rice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts