VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, if this has already been discussed and I've overlooked it, I'm sorry...and when you read this, please be aware that I'm posting this in a sense of fun, not out of any desire to nitpick over children's programming.

Are any of you familiar with Veggietales? Apparently it's a Christian show for children with talking vegetables. I became familiar with it because my younger sister (15 years old) was singing the now infamous Hairbrush Song, and I found it terribly cute.

I discussed it with Jerry, and he went on to relate that his young niece loves the show, and he finds the Cheeseburger Song to be very cute, as well.

Why are vegetables eating cheeseburgers? I pointed out that it was rather disturbing to me to hear a bunch of animated vegetables singing about eating cheeseburgers, and he asked if it would be better for them to be cannibalistic vegetarians, instead.

That's not right, either. o.o

I know that plants are nourished by photosynthesis, but trying to explain that to small children in the context of a musical television show probably isn't practical.

Opinions?

(And yes, I'm aware that I'm very strange, hehe.)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I think it's an extremely odd show. Some of my friends (we're in 7th grade) adore the show and know all the lyrics to Larry's Silly Songs. It's also a big thing at my church with the younger kids. It's kind of a funny show, but with your post... that just strikes me as odd. It's weird enough when they have shows with animal characters on the show (it's the Richard Scarrey one... with Lowly the worm... I don't remember the name) eating hamburgers... but vegetables eating them?
What's up with that?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I LOVE VEGGIETALES!!!! Sure, they're plenty silly. Maybe it's a bit incongruous. But it's not SUPPOSED to be an exact representation of real life. Performance and media can't be exactly like real life, and we really don't want them to be, either.

I don't think the gourd Mr. Lunt waltzing with his cheeseburger is any more strange than Larry the Cucumber carrying on about his hairbrush or the Cebú. It wasn't intended to be a pro-animal-rights show, and the minimal meat-content I think is commendable.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, Skylark. I was posting in fun. ^_^

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Yeah, when I heard of this I thought it was some kind of pro-veg thing but then I saw the infomercial and I thought What the Crap!?!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Actually, Veggie Tales are beginning to grow on me. After being forced by my friends to watch them so many times, I've started to enjoy Larry's songs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts