VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm finding it challenging to get good produce here in Chicago in the winter. Been getting some crazy fruit lately that lasts an unnaturally long time, still doesn't seem ripe, and makes my throat itch. Anyway, I work on the Mag Mile and the restaurants there are expensive. So I've been eating a lot of soups and other kinds of pre-packaged goods. I've read that a lot of nutrients are lost in canned products and that it's better to purchase frozen items, but I don't know if that's true or to what extent.

Are canned soups/fruits giving me the nutrients I need? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canned veggies are gross!

Also, they are ridden with sodium for the most part, lacking in nutritients.

Go fresh, or go frozen!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LF - Canned potatoes??? I've never heard of that! Sounds funny.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you one way to preserve some of the taste of frozen corn (and baby peas too) is to run lukewarm water over them in a colander, and let them thaw, then blanch them in boiling water for just a few seconds.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, there is only one brand of frozen soup available at my local grocery store and two flavors that don't contain animal products.

I do normally pack my food...just looking for convenient options as I carry so much stuff it looks like I'm preparing to hike across America every time I leave for the train in the morning.

Thanks much for the tip, Poesia. I do buy veggie wash and it is expensive.

And please, anyone out there, lemme know of any suggested reading material on vitamins -specifically when/why they lose their potency.

Benevolent Babe

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in Ohio and I can find places with good veggies for cheap, too. Do you have any Marc's in your area? They are all over the place here and have fruits, food and veggies, too. I take the bus there. I eat canned kidney beans, and blackeyed peas. There still is some protein in them if they are loaded with salt. There are some salt free veggies in the cans, too. But I usually eat fresh veggies. I don't care for frozen ones for some reason. They don't have much taste to me. My mom loves them, though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Soilman..while we are on the subject. I've heard that sprouted potatoes can make you sick if you eat them. I heard it a long time ago and can't really remember where, but I always pitch my taters that have sprouts. Is this true?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I once ate a small piece of raw potato just to see what it tasted like and can't recall it doing anything bad to me. Never ate a whole one raw. yuk. I've undercooked them at times but they did not harm me. But I always have cut out the sprouts and the green parts and rotten parts because it was just unappealing to me. Yet, I have often boiled them with the skins on and ate them that way because I heard the skin is nutritious. I keep them in the frig. and they seem to be the last veggie I eat in there. So they are not my favorite but okay.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by skylark

Then they asked me how I know that you know what you're talking about, and the only thing I could think to say was, "Well, isn't the same true offline?
If you've not already, check out Soilman's website. There's a link to it on his profile. Very interesting stuff. I fully trust his knowledge in this area.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This is what has truly saved me this winter: the veggies I froze during the summer that I got from my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) shares. I belong to our local community supported organic farming coalition. Our shares begin in May and last until November. Every week during that time, I pick up a crate that, most weeks, is overflowing with local organic veggies and sometimes fruits. Of course, I only cook for two, so most of my veggies would go to waste if we didn't take steps to preserve them in some way. This summer, I steamed and froze tons of green beans, corn, squash, sweet peas, spinach, etc. Now all I have to do is thaw those babies out and enjoy...

I haven't quite conquered the world of canning. That'll be next summer. That way I can hang on to lots of my yummy tomaters.

Join your local CSA!

P.S. I made the tastiest potato and spinach soup last night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts