VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I was a fat kid, I mean a really fat kid. When I was 14, I went vegetarian because I'd never liked the taste/texture of meat and I loved animals. I immediately lost 3 stone.

The mysterious thing is that I still wasn't eating healthily - all that changed was that instead of pepperoni pizza, it was pizza with mushrooms (I can't stand plain) or a beefburger became a veggieburger.

When I was in college, I had a year of meat-eating. Don't ask me to explain why; I don't know. This led to a 2 stone weight gain.

After college, I quickly became veggie again. In a month, I'd lost a stone and a half. (Oh, and I am much healthier than my pizza-burger every day days lol)

What is it, do you think, that makes you lose weight/be healthier as a vegetarian? Is it the fact that you automatically eat more veggies? Is meat just that bad for you? I was thinking about it today - I eat the same things that I did when I was eating meat, just with a vegetarian substitute. Like pasta bolognase with quorn mince. And I lost lots of weight !?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, meat is the only "food" that contains cholesterol. Bad for the heart and the waistline. I think that many people have a bad reaction to meat, like they can't digest it well, it makes them ill, etc. I think many people feel its normal for food to make them feel like crap, being that so many people take tums, prilosec and the like, so they just accept it instead of eating foods that make you feel good and let your body operate properly. This is just my opinion and experience, but I feel a whole lot better when I eat plant based. I have more energy, don't have digestional issues and just feel good...weight loss is a big perk too! I think when we do what our bodies want they just start to go down to the size they're supposed to be.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
meat has more dense calories and usually more fat than the substitutes.

here is an example with ground beef vs. quorn mince:

100 grams of ground beef has 12 grams of fat (5 are sat. fat), 89 mg of cholesterol, 230 calories
100 grams of quorn mince has 2 grams of fat (0.5 are sat fat), 0 cholesterol, and only 94 calories

so even if you eat 200 grams of quorn mince you will still be consuming less than half the amount of fat in ground beef, 0 cholesterol and less calories.

most meat subs are similarly healthier then the actual meat.

however meat subs still aren't that healthy, switch out the quorn mince with some lentils or beans and you will have an even better meal.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My problem when I went vegetarian to lose weight is that I went Ovo-lacto. I pretty much replaced the meat I had taken out of the diet with cheese which has even more fat than meat. Nearly every day I ate cheese omlettes, cheesy home fries, cheesy rice, cheese on sandwiches, cheese in almost anything. Also milk, sour cream, cottage cheese. I ate a lot of that. I also put a lot of oil in nearly everything, and fried a lot of foods. I still continued to consume beer. That might be vegetarian, but it is not good for losing weight.

So After many years of cheese, and oil my health is only slightly better. I am still overweight. I still get a lot of fiber. I feel that I would be a lot more overweight if I ate the Standard American Diet. On the plus side, I do not drink cola, or soft drinks, and I do not eat much sweets.

I have recently decided that the only way to get the maximum profit from vegetarianism is to eliminate the cheese, eggs, and dairy, and keep my oil consumption to 2 tsp or less per day (which is about the required amount. You actually need some oil to thrive for joints and hormones to properly work).

If I can find this thread a year from now I will tell you how it worked out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts