VeggieBoards banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if the term "Veggie" concerns the vegetarian community, the vegan community or both

could you help me, please?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I the UK, veggie would usually be assumed to mean vegetarian rather than vegan - vegans are still pretty rare in most areas here! So when eating out, 'veggie' options are often full of dairy or eggs. But yes, we are veggies too :)

·
Veg-head since 10/14/14
459 Posts
I always assumed veggie was just an abbreviation of the five-syllable vegetarian. Vegan is already two syllables. LOL ;-)

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I thought veggies was generally short for vegetables, as in, "Eat your veggies," or, "I'll have the veggie sub(marine) on whole-wheat."

Reactions: no whey jose

·
Veg-head since 10/14/14
459 Posts
And think about your facial expression when you say the words.... Vegetable. Vegetarian. So dour & serious. :-\ But VEGGIE is such a smiley, happy word!! LOL! VEGGIE!!!! **big, stupid grin** =D

·
Registered
127 Posts
And think about your facial expression when you say the words.... Vegetable. Vegetarian. So dour & serious. :-\ But VEGGIE is such a smiley, happy word!! LOL! VEGGIE!!!! **big, stupid grin** =D
Yes! I always use the term veggie to my close friends and family so the change (started just under 2 months ago) doesn't freak them out as much. Works quite well. Often while yelling "feed the veggie!" interchangeable with veg head, while ordering food with buddies in my best Reverend Lovejoy's wife imitation "won't some buddy please think of the veghead?!"

·
Veg-head since 10/14/14
459 Posts
Yes! I always use the term veggie to my close friends and family so the change (started just under 2 months ago) doesn't freak them out as much. Works quite well. Often while yelling "feed the veggie!" interchangeable with veg head, while ordering food with buddies in my best Reverend Lovejoy's wife imitation "won't some buddy please think of the veghead?!"
I use veg-head all the time!! LOL, awesome!! =)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sometimes you will see "veg*ns" written on this forum, meaning both.
That abbreviation came from the old vegan-l list (before it went entirely ALF), back when everyone knew that an asterisk (*) was a wildcard character. IIRC, it was the early 90s, but possibly the late 80s. Using the wildcard asterisk meant that it could be either word.

·
Chaotic Vegetarian
173 Posts
That abbreviation came from the old vegan-l list (before it went entirely ALF), back when everyone knew that an asterisk (*) was a wildcard character. IIRC, it was the early 90s, but possibly the late 80s. Using the wildcard asterisk meant that it could be either word.
Did we forget about the * thing ?

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
I use it all the time but never knew its origin. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts