VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me brainstorm some affordable shopping tips in the brutal winters? I am originally from the west coast and never had this problem, but I am finding the cost of fruit & vegetables to be outrageous here (Quebec) in the winter.

So far I am getting
Carrots, cabbage, beets, onions

The rest is just plain $$$ (think $4+/lb for most other things! It's nuts!).

What sort of vegetables are still relatively good canned? I have some frozen but (ironically) my freezer is too small to keep frozen foods! (yet there's 2ft. of snow outside & it's -30C)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I eat a lot of dried, and starchy foods. Pastas, potatoes, beans, hearty soups. The only canned veggies I like are really beans and tomato sauce, if those even count
I usually use frozen, a bag of mixed peas/corn/green beans can go a long way, and doesn't take up a lot of space.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Are you in the city or rural area? If you're in a city, you may want to look for an Asian market, as they often have cheaper produce. If you're in a rural area, I don't know that the prices will be much better in the summer, especially if you're in a very remote area.

I'm currently in Winnipeg (though moving to Quebec in the spring) and definitely cut back on the fresh produce I buy in winter. I use canned tomatoes, but not much else. It's a shame your freezer won't fit more because there are some lovely frozen vegetables out there.

What kinds of things do you normally eat?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I am unfortunately way out in the boonies and a trip to the Asian grocery (which I *love*) will take a good $20 in gas.

We normally eat a lot of bell peppers, tomatoes, fresh strawberries, mango, all those lovely things I got used to while living on the west coast

I'm trying to convince hubby to buy a standalone freezer

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alis View Post

Thanks! I am unfortunately way out in the boonies and a trip to the Asian grocery (which I *love*) will take a good $20 in gas.

We normally eat a lot of bell peppers, tomatoes, fresh strawberries, mango, all those lovely things I got used to while living on the west coast

I'm trying to convince hubby to buy a standalone freezer
I think it might be worth it to invest in a freezer. Then you can stock up on frozen things you love to eat. Frozen mango isn't quite as good as fresh, but it's still delicious, especially in a smoothie.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
as far as fresh: some winter squashes and sweet potatos should still be pretty cheap, even not on sale. (I see you're in Canada, though, so that may not apply after all.)

canned pumpkin is awesome. I use it whenever I run out of frozen - for smoothies, baked goodies, whatever. I wouldn't eat it alone, but it's good as a mix-in. otherwise, I despise canned veggies... the texture bothers me.

a thought occurs to me - whenever we lost power when I was a kid, my mom would put our milk outside on our back porch, half buried in the snow, and anything else in the fridge would go in a plastic bucket or a large portable cooler. she'd just scoop some snow in, throw the stuff on top, and put a little more snow on. is that an option for you, as far as some frozen veggies? I know some of the portable coolers have snap locks, so the wind shouldn't be able to steal the lid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts