VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've recently decided to become vegetarian and have managed so far to get breakfast and my main meals meat free, but I'm struggling with ideas for sandwiches and snacks etc. I finish up just eating cheese/egg salad sandwiches every day and they're getting boring. Does anyone have any suggestions for quick and easy lunches and snacks?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Definitely try adding some dark green leafy vegetables to your sandwiches for some vitamins and nutrition!

Some sandwich ideas:
Hummus, sprouts, romaine/kale/collard, tomato, avocado, cucumber

White bean dip with endive and sundried tomatoes

Pesto with tofu and roasted red pepper

Snacks
any fruit (pineapple, watermelon, cantalope, honeydew, guava, papaya, bananas, oranges, clementines, pears, apples, dates, figs, mangoes, kiwi, toamtoes, avocado, bell peppers, zucchini, cucumber, etc.)
Nuts
Seeds
Carrots/celery sticks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Lunches:

- Soups - either make my own or buy fresh ones from the supermarket. There's lots of varity there, and you can heat them in a microwave in next to no time. Great with breads/etc

Talking of breads, a lot of people stick to the same basic ones but I really like trying new ones - which make even the same meal (ie: sandwhiches) a bit different. Such as muffins, crumpets, potato farl, foccacia, seeded, paninis, etc. You can also make toasted sandwhiches which I always love, I like leftover dahl in mine but that's just me! You could also have different things with sandwhiches - pickles, salads, etc - to change things up.

-Gnocci (or fresh pasta) and having it with a pasta sauce and some salad.

-Pasta and cous cous salads or warm with a tomato sauce and roast vegetables. If you make them yourself you can make a big batch for the week, say on sunday, especially if there are other people who may want some too.

-If you have the time (or don't mind microwave potatos) jacket potato with baked beans, or salad and hummus and pickles, or left-over chilli/curry from the day before are tasty too!

-frozen bean burgers (I really like sainsburys ones, or faux-meat ones if you like them) especially if they're on offer, and have those in a bap (with sauce and gerkins!) with some salad on the side for lunch too, which is quick, tasty and easy. They grill in about 12mins I think.

As for snacks, most things you ate before you were vegetarian are probally vegetarian, if that makes sense! Biscuits, crisps, chocolate, nuts, fruit, brownies, etc. Favourites of mine are chocolate rice milk, pistatio and cashew nuts, dark chocolate, dried berries, flapjacks, mini popadoms with mango chutney, salt and vinegar crisps, mango, stewed fruit, and raw vegetables and breadsticks with hummus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. There's quite a bit to go at there already
I did a shop earlier and got a couple of different hummuses, some breads and the makings for a veggie soup. I got a couple of recipes too for a bean dip and a cous cous soup dish.

I try to eat leafy greens etc. with my main mealsbut will add some to the soup. I'm not sure which ones I'd like in a sandwich really, but I'll experiment a bit. I'm still a noob at this, so plenty of time to learn.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Right now I'm eating a delicious salad from M&S- Quinoa, black beans, almonds, cooked carrot, green beans and broccoli with a soy and ginger sauce.

They also had roasted red pepper orzo and sunblushed tomato, butternut squash and lentil, fruity couscous, roasted aubergine, mixed bean and mint vinaigrette etc as salads. Salad can be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
^ Sounds good! I love the red pepper orzo with sunblushed tomato! Yum yum yum
Sometimes I buy the little one, and a little mixed bean one, for lunch. Beats a sandwhich any day of the week!

Falafel wraps are also nice, or I cut up bean burgers in half and eat them in a wrap with vegan garlic mayo and salad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

^ Sounds good! I love the red pepper orzo with sunblushed tomato! Yum yum yum
Sometimes I buy the little one, and a little mixed bean one, for lunch. Beats a sandwhich any day of the week!

Falafel wraps are also nice, or I cut up bean burgers in half and eat them in a wrap with vegan garlic mayo and salad.
Damn, I forgot about falafel - I love that stuff! Thanks for the replies, some great suggestions...

·
Registered
196 Posts
If I'm at home I like to have a Mexican bowl: 1cup cooked brown rice (whenever I cook rice I always cook extra and leave it in a lidded tub in the fridge. Then I just take out however much I want and reheat it in the microwave.), Some refried beans, Pico de Gallo, and then some greens/veggies/salad things on the side. If i'm extra hungry I might fry up some tofu or seitan in fajita spices and put that on top. Then I cover the whole thing in a generous helping of hot sauce. YUM.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As i mentioned in another thread, I will be visiting London for 3-5 days and I am terribly ignorant of the UK food situation. Other than grocery stores, are there (and which) places like chain convenience stores that are both ubiquitous and stocked with vegan items? I've seen the restaurant list but I don't think I'd like to eat out like that 3 x a day for 5 days.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

London is very vegan friendly. I don't live there but have visited as a vegan and had some excellent food. What is the difference between a grocery store and a convenience store?
convenience store is smaller, and often more pricy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote:

London is very vegan friendly. I don't live there but have visited as a vegan and had some excellent food. What is the difference between a grocery store and a convenience store?
A convenience store is a small store that sells a very small selection of products that one can find at a grocery store but since these stores are smaller they can be located at strategic points in the city where a market would not fit. Some times called a "corner store" or "bodega".

If you've ever been to the States I'm talkin like Wawa or 7-11 which often sell chips, soda, microwaveable dinners, and the like but often vegan items can be found like fruit or soup.

I'm just trying to figure out where I can easily and cheaply buy food outside of the hotel and not in full course restaurants.

I'm explaining myself poorly.

·
Registered
888 Posts
No I get it. Someone who lives in London will be able to tell you better but there will certainly be loads of small supermarkets in the centre of the city (tesco metro, co-op etc) in London, which will sell fruit, vegetables, fruit, nuts, dark chocolate, crisps, soup, drinks, soya milk etc and co-op even label a lot of their things vegan and have vegan doughnuts (the jam filled ones)! There will also be lots of Holland and Barrets shops, which sell vegan ready to eat pies, cheesecakes, ice cream, chocolate, sweets, faux cheese, and frozen foods, also see this link under health food stores (scroll down) http://www.happycow.net/europe/england/london/

Also some of the cafes on that list do take out food, I can recommend Beatroot. Also there are other places for take out food on the move- starbucks sometimes has falafel paninis, pret a manger do a hummus wrap salad and sometimes miso soup, marks and spencers do lots of salads and a butternut squash wrap and some soups, boots do a couple of types of vegan sandwiches, you can get a vegan takeaway pizza from pizza hut if you ask for no cheese... there will be loads of options really. Also in the UK almost everywhere labels vegetarian food with a 'V', so then it's just a case of scanning for eggs/ dairy/ honey.

Hope you have a great trip!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote:

No I get it. Someone who lives in London will be able to tell you better but there will certainly be loads of small supermarkets in the centre of the city (tesco metro, co-op etc) in London, which will sell fruit, vegetables, fruit, nuts, dark chocolate, crisps, soup, drinks, soya milk etc and co-op even label a lot of their things vegan and have vegan doughnuts (the jam filled ones)! There will also be lots of Holland and Barrets shops, which sell vegan ready to eat pies, cheesecakes, ice cream, chocolate, sweets, faux cheese, and frozen foods, also see this link under health food stores (scroll down) http://www.happycow.net/europe/england/london/

Also some of the cafes on that list do take out food, I can recommend Beatroot. Also there are other places for take out food on the move- starbucks sometimes has falafel paninis, pret a manger do a hummus wrap salad and sometimes miso soup, marks and spencers do lots of salads and a butternut squash wrap and some soups, boots do a couple of types of vegan sandwiches, you can get a vegan takeaway pizza from pizza hut if you ask for no cheese... there will be loads of options really. Also in the UK almost everywhere labels vegetarian food with a 'V', so then it's just a case of scanning for eggs/ dairy/ honey.

Hope you have a great trip!
Thanks! I appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts