Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Veggie Ribbies (Little Veg. 'Rib-like' Snacks)<br><br>
Category: Snacks<br><br><br><br>
Suitable for a: vegan diet<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Ingredients:<br><br>
------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br><br>
I admit these are inspired very much by a recipe on VegWeb, however I've made enough modifications and changes to the overall recipe that the end result is really a fair bit different.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
2 cups Instant Gluten Flour - also known as vital wheat gluten<br><br>
2+ cups of water<br><br>
2 Tbsp Marmite (or vegan 'beef' broth)<br><br>
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast<br><br>
1 Tbsp. tomato paste<br><br>
bit of flour for dusting<br><br>
3 Tbsp. tahini, peanut butter, or dijon mustard<br><br><br><br>
Vegan BBQ sauce of your choice, as much as you like. (I add about 2 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce to make it really spicy)<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Instructions:<br><br>
------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br><br>
Mix the gluten flour (This is NOT just regular bread flour but 'vital wheat gluten') with the nutritional yeast. Dissolve the tomato paste, and bullion or Marmite in water.<br><br>
Using a fork, make a well in the center and add the water mixture all at once. (Add more of you live in a dry area, less of you don't, hence the different amount.)<br><br><br><br>
Mix fast, rapidly encorporating all the gluten flour.<br><br><br><br>
Dust a flat surface, dust your hands and lightly dust the gluten lump. Knead till rubbery and smooth. Use more flour if needed.<br><br><br><br>
Flatten the gluten out with the tips of your fingers..<br><br><br><br>
Slice the gluten into VERY THIN strips. About the size of a fat french-fry.<br><br>
Melt tahini or peanut butter until runny enough, dip or roll each strip in runny mixture, 'smooshing' most of it back off,,,<br><br><br><br>
Put the strips on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. When the under side is golden, flip them over and bake some more. You want a crispy product. They should puff up at first and flatten as they are browning up.<br><br><br><br>
Put strips into a bowl and cover with BBQ sauce. Let sit as lo-ooo-ng as you want. (The longer the better)<br><br><br><br>
Pull out of BBQ sauce with tongs, one by one and lay on same cookie sheet (well greased) and bake again until 'gooey' and starting to firm up... (about 10 minutes).<br><br><br><br>
Serve as an appetizer.<br><br>
Even my omi friends LOVE this!<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Additional comments:<br><br>
------------------------------------------------------

1 - 2 of 2 Posts