VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone here interested in living with others who eat veg, vegan, or raw? Has anyone done that, or looked into some of the communities that exist?

I'm not talking about living in the same house together, although I'm interested in hearing about any such experiences.

I've visited The Farm in Tn. a couple of times and was impressed by them (and their homemade vegan "ice cream"!!
)

But, I think I'd like something a little less remote myself.

There is Zim Zam in Asheville, which is right in town, but I am the guardian to a number of rescued pets and they don't believe in, or want, pets around. There are way too many neglected or starving, and even dying cats and dogs out there. If I see them, I'm going to take them in so they can be safe, and I can get them well...and fixed....and, hopefully, in a better home than they had before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
Yes there are some!

Here is a list of 'intentional' or 'eco-villages' (that is what they are called now - not exactly communes but similar):

http://directory.ic.org/iclist/geo.php

Not all are vegetarian, vegan or raw but many are or are supportive or it. You have to kind of browse though them all. Lots of them are not totally established yet. Some are also cohousing types of places. Alot of them focus on environmental issues such as living off of the grid, etc.

I haven't ever lived on one but I visited one a long time ago and it was pretty cool. I like the idea of sharing the land and growing my own food and having everyone be vegan but I would definatley want my own digs for privacy.

I have read the book on The Farm of stories back in the 1970s and it was an interesting read. I have a book on EcoVillages but haven't got around to reading it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,132 Posts
I've never lived in a vege community but when I first left home I lived in an all vegetarian house. I lived there for about 2 years. Like any share house people came and went but one rule was no meat-eaters could live there. It was pretty cool - I was only 16 at the time - I'm sure it helped keep me on the "right path" at a difficult time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

Cool. There seem to be many near me. idk if I would ever live in one. My mom would probley worry that it was a cult lol.
He he....There are a couple on the site that are really into a specific religious path and, IMHO, sound sort of flakely and 'culty' ...I got a kick out of reading them when I first found the site.


this one gave me a little giggle: http://directory.ic.org/records/?act...record_id=2440
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,691 Posts
This is actually quite interesting. ^_^

I have heard of people living in places like these and really loving it a lot. I always tell people how I would prefer not to be a slave to money for the rest of my life and these have always been something I have thought about.

Granted, no internet access means no more VB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Ooh this is really interesting. However, I think I would feel too restricted living in one of those places. I just looked at several of them that are near me but they had weird requirements such as "no alcohol on premises". Unlike smoking or pets, how does alcohol affect your living situation unless you are a rowdy drunkard? I don't like to feel like my personal liberties are stumped upon. BTW, some of the groups featured on that site are definitely cults - like those Children of God communes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

He he....There are a couple on the site that are really into a specific religious path and, IMHO, sound sort of flakely and 'culty' ...I got a kick out of reading them when I first found the site.


this one gave me a little giggle: http://directory.ic.org/records/?act...record_id=2440
LOL um thats for real?

this made me laugh so much

Quote:
Identified Leader: Yes(Lord King Yobarian YodL Yo from planet yobarian YodL Yo ! = Lord Littlestar Liberty Laughter Life, here now too, not just in the)
None of the ones near me sound THAT cultish. Most of them dont have an apointed leader(or so it says)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

Yes there are some!

Here is a list of 'intentional' or 'eco-villages' (that is what they are called now - not exactly communes but similar):

I haven't ever lived on one but I visited one a long time ago and it was pretty cool. I like the idea of sharing the land and growing my own food and having everyone be vegan but I would definatley want my own digs for privacy.
That's not quite right, as there are many, many intentional communities that are not "eco-villages", and don't call themselves that. Cohousing has become tremendously popular and is popping up everywhere. THough many have some green intent, they don't call themselves eco-villages, nor do they necessarily strive to be.

As for having your own digs, I may not have current info, but I see that fewer than 3% of the 1200 existing communities in the U.S. are ones in which everyone lives in the same space. Even the older communities, like Twin Oaks, The Farm, Earthaven, East Wind, etc... don't have just one house. Most everyone wants their own space.

Oh, and I snipped this part from your post, but one doesn't have to browse through all 2000, or however many, communities are listed in the ic.org site to find the vegan-friendly ones.

You can search for it.

Also you can order the paper Directory. I have one, and it's a fantastic resource. It has the communties bio's listed in alphabetical order, but it also has a graph, so you can look for the heading "diet" and then just go down the list looking for the word "vegan" under that heading....a lot less time-consuming than actually reading all the info and bios for all 2000 communities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelinadatta View Post

Ooh this is really interesting. However, I think I would feel too restricted living in one of those places. I just looked at several of them that are near me but they had weird requirements such as "no alcohol on premises". Unlike smoking or pets, how does alcohol affect your living situation unless you are a rowdy drunkard? I don't like to feel like my personal liberties are stumped upon. BTW, some of the groups featured on that site are definitely cults - like those Children of God communes.
Alcohol can affect lots of folks in lots of negative ways. You must be very, very young not to have seen that. If others are both living and working closely with someone who drinks often, it can certainly affect the entire community. I've heard of communities businesses' being brought to a halt because of one person with a drinking problem. It's much, much easier to say "no alcohol" than to ask each person before they join how much alcohol they drink, or if they're an alcoholic. In case you didn't know it, not every alcoholic is yet to be in AA, or yet to admit how much they drink.

I can't speak for the communities, but I think that's the whole idea of INTENTIONAL. If it's one community's intent to avoid the troubles alcohol can cause, then that's their prerogative. Or maybe they just don't see the point of drinking alcohol in the first place.

I dont' look at it as taking away my civil liberties because I still have the choice not to join that community. So do you. If drinking alcohol is an important part of one's life, then that person can -and should- avoid the few communities who prohibit it.

Likewise for other rules you don't like.

Personally, I'd rather know before going in what folks in a community like and don't like. If you move into a subdivision or onto a street anywhere in the country, you're likely to find out (after you move in) that rules exist everywhere you go. Sometimes they're called covenants. Sometimes they're more subtle and unspoken rules, and streets or subd's can become unofficially governed by those who are the most controlling.

And, in apt. complexes, people complain constantly about each others noises, sweeping dust onto the balcony below, the smell of burning food or cig smoke seeping into their apts., someone talking too loud in the hallways...etc.....

Anyone who thinks intentional communities are more controlling than the rest of the world must be someone who has never met any human beings before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa! View Post

That's not quite right, as there are many, many intentional communities that are not "eco-villages", and don't call themselves that. Cohousing has become tremendously popular and is popping up everywhere. THough many have some green intent, they don't call themselves eco-villages, nor do they necessarily strive to be.

As for having your own digs, I may not have current info, but I see that fewer than 3% of the 1200 existing communities in the U.S. are ones in which everyone lives in the same space. Even the older communities, like Twin Oaks, The Farm, Earthaven, East Wind, etc... don't have just one house. Most everyone wants their own space.

Oh, and I snipped this part from your post, but one doesn't have to browse through all 2000, or however many, communities are listed in the ic.org site to find the vegan-friendly ones.

You can search for it.

Also you can order the paper Directory. I have one, and it's a fantastic resource. It has the communties bio's listed in alphabetical order, but it also has a graph, so you can look for the heading "diet" and then just go down the list looking for the word "vegan" under that heading....a lot less time-consuming than actually reading all the info and bios for all 2000 communities.
I am quite aware that intentional communities and eco-villages are not the same thing. I did say "OR" in my sentence. I did not call Cohousing - Eco-villages. When I said "Alot are into .." I meant the places listed on the site - not just the cohousing places.

There are many 'eco-villages' on the web site I provided as are there intentional communities and cohousing. I think you misinterepted my sentence. I have done lots of reading on the subject so I am familiar with differences.

I read though many of the listing on the web page about year ago and I remember seeing many that offered 'your own plot of land' - some had home already built on them and some you could build your own home. Whether it was 3% or whatever - i have no idea.

And yes, I am aware you can search on the site too. I figured the VBers on here that looked at the site could find it without me pointing it out. I, for myself, like to browse though the listings since many of them are not complete. Although, I seem to remember when I found the site over a year or so ago that there was no search feature in function.

I am a bit confused about why you are sort of 'picking' my post apart (although I am hope I just misreading the intentions of your post). I was under the impression that you were looking for information, others opinions and resources, I thought I gave a pretty solid informative link. Oh well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa! View Post

Alcohol can affect lots of folks in lots of negative ways. You must be very, very young not to have seen that. If others are both living and working closely with someone who drinks often, it can certainly affect the entire community. I've heard of communities businesses' being brought to a halt because of one person with a drinking problem. It's much, much easier to say "no alcohol" than to ask each person before they join how much alcohol they drink, or if they're an alcoholic. In case you didn't know it, not every alcoholic is yet to be in AA, or yet to admit how much they drink.

I can't speak for the communities, but I think that's the whole idea of INTENTIONAL. If it's one community's intent to avoid the troubles alcohol can cause, then that's their prerogative. Or maybe they just don't see the point of drinking alcohol in the first place.

I dont' look at it as taking away my civil liberties because I still have the choice not to join that community. So do you. If drinking alcohol is an important part of one's life, then that person can -and should- avoid the few communities who prohibit it.

Likewise for other rules you don't like.

Personally, I'd rather know before going in what folks in a community like and don't like. If you move into a subdivision or onto a street anywhere in the country, you're likely to find out (after you move in) that rules exist everywhere you go. Sometimes they're called covenants. Sometimes they're more subtle and unspoken rules, and streets or subd's can become unofficially governed by those who are the most controlling.

And, in apt. complexes, people complain constantly about each others noises, sweeping dust onto the balcony below, the smell of burning food or cig smoke seeping into their apts., someone talking too loud in the hallways...etc.....

Anyone who thinks intentional communities are more controlling than the rest of the world must be someone who has never met any human beings before.
I am sorry Ahisma but I think you are wrong in what you said to evelinadatta. You do not know what the users age is unless it is posted in their profile. You can't just assume something like that. I am sure evelinadatta meant for just some recreational alcohol to enjoy and not alcoholics. It is true alcohol effects some people in negative ways but it also used by many to just enjoy a glass of wine every once and a while - I would not consider those people alcoholics.

I enjoy a glass or wine or ale every once and a while but I am definatley not or am not on my way to becoming one.

I am sure evelinadatta as meet many a controlling human, as we all have, but intentional communities are a pretty different lifestyle than most of us are used to. It is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. And everyone will be viewing the 'rules' differently. Some people need more independence and freedom than others and there is nothing wrong with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I am sorry Ahisma but I think you are wrong in what you said to evelinadatta. You do not know what the users age is unless it is posted in their profile. You can't just assume something like that. I am sure evelinadatta meant for just some recreational alcohol to enjoy and not alcoholics. It is true alcohol effects some people in negative ways but it also used by many to just enjoy a glass of wine every once and a while - I would not consider those people alcoholics.

I enjoy a glass or wine or ale every once and a while but I am definatley not or am not on my way to becoming one.

I am sure evelinadatta as meet many a controlling human, as we all have, but intentional communities are a pretty different lifestyle than most of us are used to. It is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. And everyone will be viewing the 'rules' differently. Some people need more independence and freedom than others and there is nothing wrong with that.
wow, you completely missed the point. I enjoy microbrews myself. but so what? The point is that it's hard to quantify how much a person drinks by asking. Some people are honest about it. Some are not. SOme have a deluded view of their intake.

That's the whole point. If a community doesn't want to have to quantify the amt. a person takes in, and feels that it serves no purpose, then why shouldn't they have a right to say "we really don't want it in our community"???

I don't believe you're really "sorry" to say that I'm wrong. I think you're on the major defense now and so you're trying to attack back. I didn't attack you, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I am quite aware that intentional communities and eco-villages are not the same thing. I did say "OR" in my sentence.

I think you misinterepted my sentence. I have done lots of reading on the subject so I am familiar with differences.
Okay, so very sorry! usually, if someone says, "or" , it means "either/or" as in, "people who don't eat meat are called vegetarian or vegan", which seems to imply they're the same thing. Obviously you use the word "or" differently, so I stand corrected.

In any case, you're being incredibly defensive and assumed a personal attack where none existed. I saw most of the posts as jumping to a lot of negative conclusions about intentional communities that did not appear to be based on factual info, but on wild rumors and dramatic media fluff. Saying things like "cult" and implying that communities are somehow taking away civil liberties are pretty strong statements to make about people they know nothing about. Its a lot like omnivores saying stuff to us like "oh, I hate vegans. they all think they're above everyone." Or "vegetarians are tree-hugging, pale, weak sissy's".

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I read though many of the listing on the web page about year ago and I remember seeing many that offered 'your own plot of land' - some had home already built on them and some you could build your own home. Whether it was 3% or whatever - i have no idea.
well, yes, that's why I provided the info....some people would be thankful for being given information. I guess you aren't, so I'm gonna just pass on the rest of this discussion.

knock yourself out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa! View Post

Alcohol can affect lots of folks in lots of negative ways. You must be very, very young not to have seen that. If others are both living and working closely with someone who drinks often, it can certainly affect the entire community. I've heard of communities businesses' being brought to a halt because of one person with a drinking problem. It's much, much easier to say "no alcohol" than to ask each person before they join how much alcohol they drink, or if they're an alcoholic. In case you didn't know it, not every alcoholic is yet to be in AA, or yet to admit how much they drink.

[...]

And, in apt. complexes, people complain constantly about each others noises, sweeping dust onto the balcony below, the smell of burning food or cig smoke seeping into their apts., someone talking too loud in the hallways...etc.....

Anyone who thinks intentional communities are more controlling than the rest of the world must be someone who has never met any human beings before.
Wow you presume to know quite a lot about me. There is really no reason to get insulting here just because you don't agree with my opinion.

First of all, I have not lived in an intentional community. However, I have lived in apartment buildings for the last seven years and I have never had problems with my neighbors. No one has told me how to listen to my music or what to drink and not drink. I think the situation in those communities is more similar to the way you have to deal with your roommates rather than neighbors. For me the idea of living with twenty other roommates sounds too overwhelming.

Second on your point of alcohol, sure it is easier to forbid it than trust people to know their limits. However, if you don't trust that the people you live with can control themselves, then why would you want to be living with them in the first place? I have seen people's behavior affected by alcohol; however, there are also many people who know how to drink responsibly. Forbidding something because a minority of people abuse it is only going to lead to more people abusing it in the future because they never learn how to handle it properly. I have lived in several different countries and so far in my observation, alcohol is the biggest problem in the one country it is most restricted in - the U.S. Here many young people have problems with alcohol and fall into binge drinking and alcoholism. In large part this happens because their parents never properly introduced them to alcohol in the first place and taught them how to enjoy a drink or two without having to get drunk to have a good time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
i'm interested in investing in or co-developing an intentional vegan community for mutual benefit. if anyone has experience in this area, or knows of an ongoing project, please drop me a pm.

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,132 Posts
I don't see forbidding alcohol any different than forbidding meat eating. It's nothing more than a decision that a particular community has come to about how they live.
 
  • Like
Reactions: scwendy

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

i'm interested in investing in or co-developing an intentional vegan community for mutual benefit. if anyone has experience in this area, or knows of an ongoing project, please drop me a pm.

thanks
Hi VeggieFrank,

Actually the website I listed towards the beginning of this thread has alot of developing communities on it. They will say 'Forming' on them. That might be a good place for you to find contacts for developing communities.

One place I know of that I was interested in myself (not for investing but for living) was Eden Project in California. I think they are still in the forming stages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
great resource, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

Hi VeggieFrank,

Actually the website I listed towards the beginning of this thread has alot of developing communities on it. They will say 'Forming' on them. That might be a good place for you to find contacts for developing communities.

One place I know of that I was interested in myself (not for investing but for living) was Eden Project in California. I think they are still in the forming stages.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top