VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Premium Member
16,403 Posts
I totally love them, but veggie dogs seem to be one of those "love it or hate it" kind of things so I think you'd have to try them yourself to know. My omni/transitioning boyfriend loves other faux products like veggie beef, Tofurky deli slices, bean burgers etc. but he won't touch my veggie dogs even though I gobble them up and think they're awesome

I think they are one of those products you appreciate more when you haven't eaten meat for a long time and aren't looking for something that tastes like meat, I haven't had real hot dogs in over a decade so that could have something to do with it.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
I liked veggie hot dogs better than real ones even before I was vegetarian. Well not so much the basic "hot dogs", but I use the Tofurky Italian Sausage in a lot of cooking. Thinly sliced and cooked until slightly crispy on the outside, they are very good in a lot of Italian style pastas.

· Riot Nrrrd
3,003 Posts
There used to be a brand that was bright orange (I'm thinking like 18 years ago). Tasted awful, but fun to eat around other people. Just so very orange.

· Registered
2,822 Posts
Don't eat them expecting them to taste like regular meat hot dogs, or even think of them as a "substitute." Think if them as another thing you can but on a bun and top with condiments like veg chili, mustard, and relish.

If you don't like them in hot dogs, you have extras, or even if you think you hate them... They taste WWOONNDDEERRFFUULL fried up all crispy in a skillet and added to other things like spaghetti sauce or baked beans.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I think I've only tried smart dogs. I load mine up Chicago-style, and with all those toppings, it tastes vaguely hot dog-ish. The texture is way off, though. They're way too squishy.

Maybe I'll try the tofurky ones sometime. Tofurky stuff usually leaves me feeling kinda gross, though.

· Premium Member
51,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Even though I don't care for the Smart Dogs, they are the only veggie hot dog available here, so I eat them when I want hot dogs. I never liked sausage/brats/etc, so I've never tried the veggie counterparts to those. I did ask at the customer service desk if theyd consider getting in the Tofurky dogs, but the person was really rude to me. (The response I got was, "just because you want them doesn't mean we're going to get them." OK, maybe that's true, but they could have been more tactful.)
Very rude, I would have made a complaint.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.