VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I am a vegetarian (4 years) who hardly eats eggs (never as egg but rarely in cake/biscuits etc) but I do eat a lot cheese. I recently moved to Houston from Malaysia (where I was for 5 years) but I grew up in England.<br><br><br><br>
I was admitted to hospital on Monday night with chest pains and now I'm out but I got a real scare. My bad cholesterol level is very high and my good cholesterol level is very low and I have been put on drugs to rectify the situation.<br><br><br><br>
I was have always managed to eat non-fatty foods but with the exception of cheese, especially when out. Here in Houston, the only food available for vegetarians when out for a meal is invariably covered with cheese. I also eat a lot of carbohydrates (bread, pasta, rice) which is not healthy either.<br><br><br><br>
I am now thinking whether I should eat fish occasionally as I need to get my protein, vit b12 and also need to get some of those beneficial oils... It would also enable me to continue my social life but without consuming lots and lots of cheese (there are always baked or broiled fish items on menus). I know, heart of hearts, that this is not morally the best thing to do BUT I also know that I am trying my best.<br><br><br><br>
I would like to hear your advice and opinions!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I find in restaurants it's pretty easy to ask for things with no cheese (unless it's ravioli or something with cheese inside.) You could also try eating at ethnic restaurants like chinese or indian places. I wouldn't start eating fish just for the healthy fats. You can get the same healthy fats from flax seeds, olive oil, canola oil and walnuts.<br><br><br><br>
Also work on those simple carbohydrates. Try to replace bread, pasta and rice with the brown, whole-grain versions. Also work on getting more fiber in your life (oatmeal for breakfast is great for lowering cholesterol.) Whole grains are a really good source of protein so you'll be increasing your protein and fiber at the same time.<br><br><br><br>
One more thing: Sometimes your cholesterol levels can not be controlled by your diet. If you get the cholesterol you get from food down to a minimum and increase your fiber intake, and increase your intake of good fats, and you've still got high cholesterol you might need to take medication.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You don't need to add fish when you can add a veg source of good cholesterol. Soy and walnuts and whole grains, I believe, are good for your good cholesterol. I'm sure other people know of more examples.<br><br><br><br>
As for restaurants, some meals, like pizza, can be ordered without the cheese or with half the cheese. And do you exercise? Genetics may also have a lot to do with it.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
-- And I started this before I saw CodeMonkey's post, so sorry for the repetition!

·
Registered
912 Posts
A vegetarian who needs a low-fat diet - the bane of social events everywhere. It IS possible, though, to eat well. I did a search on Vegdining.com for restaurants in Houston. I don't know the geography, but you look pretty lucky to me - there are a lot of fully vegetarian places to choose from.<br><br><br><br>
I second the suggestion of ordering things without cheese - that's an easy way to do things. A veggie cheeseless pizza is actually very good - particularly if they use a good sauce. You can also look for low-fat cheeses in what you have at home.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
IMO -Go stricted Vegetarian<br><br><br><br>
I had high cholestrol too at one time. I was a Pescatarian (ate fish) but no eggs or dairy. Once I dropped the so called "good for you" fish. My levels dropped.<br><br><br><br>
If you suffer from high cholestrol, stop consuming it. Think of it as poison.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last week my doctor put me on Lipitor for high cholesterol and I am not even 30!! I have been a lacto ovo veggie for 21 years and I am somewhat shocked. I hardly eat cheese, never eat greasy foods, don't eat eggs, when I do drink milk (which is not often) it is fat free skim and I excercise all the time. My doctor explained to me that cholesterol is 20% determined by what you eat (and your lifestyle habits) and 80% hereditary. (I googled this info and found other sites that stated the same percentages).<br><br><br><br>
Bottom line...my family has a long, long, long line of relatives with heart problems and high cholesterol including my Mom and Dad, all my aunts and uncles and all my grand parents. I guess I was doomed to begin with. None the less, it is very frustrating seeing as there really isn't much I can do about it and I REALLY hate going on medication.<br><br><br><br>
Just wondering, has anyone else tried any medicine from health stores. I know there are some out there; however, the ones I found at the local health store are made with gelatin capsules (go figure) so I really don't want to take those either.<br><br><br><br>
Any suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts