VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I live in sunny Queensland Australia where it is supposed to be winter but it is warm and sultry.

It is difficult being a veggie here because in my city of approx 130,000 people there are no vegetarian/vegan restuarants and only one health food shop. It is much the same in most parts of non-metropolitan QLD.

Any recipes would be much appreciated. I am a student, mother, live on the land and enjoy reading, music, movies, walking and keeping fit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi nqveggie and welcome. I'm from Victoria where it really is winter.

I don't find the local health food shops to be of much value. They sell more supplements than real food. Have a look in your local supermarket health food section. Check out the international section as well.

What are you studying?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chook. I am studying Health Science. Our local Coles supermarket had a great range of veggie foods for a couple of months. The transformed one corner of their store into a veggie/vegan paradise but it was not popular enough so they got rid of it and most of their veggie products. The health food stores do seem to only sell supplements and the supermarkets up here are becoming more that way. Do you live in rural Victoria?

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's a pity about your local Cole's. I'm in suburban Melbourne and the local Cole's and Safeway's are not too bad for run of the mill stuff but don't carry stuff like nutritional yeast . I did manage to find a mail order place though that you may want to try.

http://www.govitaballarat.com.au/

Still looking for a source of quinoa.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the website Chook. We seem to be getting more and more away from the organic and veggie foods up here but the fast food places and take aways are popping up in abundance.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hi, Mr Alpaca, must say I really love Alpacas and recently had a look at some on a farm on the Sunshine Coast. However, I did not know that they can be stroppy and spit like camels do. It didn't turn me off them, though.

For the past 7 years I have kept goats and really love having them as pets and for keeping down the weeds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts