VeggieBoards banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Uh.. what? You find the description of some ethically committed veg*ns' view to be extreme? What exactly is extreme - describing it as a philosophy instead of a mere diet, or the philosophy (that animals are not food) itself?
The idea that animals are not food. Because clearly they are. People eat them all the time. Doesn't mean that I eat them, cause I don't. No more than the average american eats dogs, cause they don't. BUt other places they do. Doesn't mean dogs can't be food, as gross as one might see it (or eating cows for that matter.) Just because I think its nasty OR ethically challanged, doesn't mean I can single handedly change the definition of something.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I think you're taking things just a tad too literally. "Animals are not food" doesn't mean "animal matter is not used to derive nutrients", it means "animals should not be seen as food", or even less "radically", "I do not see animals as food".

·
Registered
885 Posts
Its not a matter of sematics. Its the point of this thread. The OP is asking what to do about her boyfriend. Some people are implying that since her boyfriend knows about factory farming, and still eats meat, that somehow, he's ethically damaged goods. That's what I challenge. I don't think that we should write off people in our lives just because they choose to eat meat. So long as there is agreement as to how to raise children, etc, I think these types of things should not be show-stoppers. It seems very elitist to me, to consider only other vegetarians when trying to find a life partner. OF course its awesome, and makes life easier - but love is so hard to find these days.

What I'm saying, is that I don't think there is anything wrong, ethically, with her boyfriend. It might be frustrating, and only the OP can decide if its enough to end their relationship.... but to me it doesn't seem like a really good idea. And that she should look at her own family, and her friends, and see if she would hold them to the same standard.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammerus View Post

I lie a lot, yet he is an extremly honest person who doesn't keep stuff from you for his own gain. (tho he does to spare feeling)

Seems to me there are other issues in your relationship.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

I don't think that we should write off people in our lives just because they choose to eat meat. So long as there is agreement as to how to raise children, etc, I think these types of things should not be show-stoppers.
Well has anyone told the OP to dump him? It seems more like people have mentioned some of the problems that might occur and expressed how they themselves would see the situation if they were in it.

Quote:
It seems very elitist to me, to consider only other vegetarians when trying to find a life partner. OF course its awesome, and makes life easier - but love is so hard to find these days.
And it seems pretty "judgemental" to me that you evaluate other people's preferences like that. Animal rights is the most central ethical belief that I hold, but wanting someone to share this core value of mine is "elitist"? Well okay then.

I personally am not bothered by veg*ns who are in a relationship with omnis, provided that they don't try to rationalize their partner(s)'s choices (with the "personal choice" ethic for example).

Quote:
What I'm saying, is that I don't think there is anything wrong, ethically, with her boyfriend.
If you're also saying that there's nothing unethical about her bf's choices, then I disagree. And I think it's silly to think that anyone who doesn't share your AW view (i.e. that meat-eating isn't unethical) is some kind of a militant elitist.

I don't agree with a full-blown pro-life view, and yet I completely understand if someone wants to date only other pro-lifers, if the view is important enough for that person. Even though I disagree with that ethical view, I wouldn't call such a person an elitist.

Quote:
It might be frustrating, and only the OP can decide if its enough to end their relationship.... but to me it doesn't seem like a really good idea. And that she should look at her own family, and her friends, and see if she would hold them to the same standard.
I wouldn't suggest leaving the bf either, the best thing would probably be to see how it checks out. (On the other hand, it might be more harmful for both parties to try it out for a couple of years and then break up.)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts