VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an adapted 30 Minute Meal, which is a cooking show on the Food Network.

Start with the spanish rice:

I use 1/4-1/2 of a red onion, diced, that I cook for 5 min with some olive oil to soften. At the end of the cooking I add some ground cumin and some dried oregano and stir. Then I add 1 cup of brown rice, or, like tonight, I added barley because it cooks much faster than brown rice. I toast this for a minute or two and then add one 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes. Then I add 1 cup of water for the brown rice and 2 cups of water for the barley. Or you could use veg stock. Let that come to a boil and then cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cooking time depends on what grain you are cooking.

While the spanish grains are cooking, start the marinaide for the fajitas. In a large ziplock freezer bag pour in...

Fajita Marinade:

2/3 cup beer (dont drink beer? substitute veg. stock)

1/2 cup chipotle prepared salsa

1 lime juiced

several sprigs of fresh thyme

chili powder- to taste, I use around 2 tsp but you could easily use more

drizzle of olive oil or other oil

The above should now be at the bottom of the freezer bag. Give it a shake. Then add:

portabello mushrooms, sliced

red bell pepper, sliced

yellow bell pepper, sliced

red onion, sliced

any other veggie you like in fajitas such as zuchinni or yellow squash

Give the bag a really good shake to cover the veggies and let it sit until ready to cook.

Now it is time for the black beans:

In a small pot heat a little bit of oil and then add :

1-2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped

1 small white onion or just some of the red onion you used in the fajita

cook for around 5 min to soften. Then add 1 can of black beans, liquid included. Add 1 tsp ground cumin , salt and pepper to taste, and let that cook until ready to eat.

When rice is about 10 min away from being done, start cooking the fajitas. I just cook them in my wok until softened. Takes around 10 min.

For the tortillas you can wrap them in foil and let them warm at 350 in your oven, or you can microwave them. If you are really careful you can toast them over an open burner, but becareful because you will be cooking the fajitas at the same time and you dont want to burn your house down.

For dessert you can have the melon salad:

Combine the juice of 2 limes, 2 shots of tequila, 2 Tbsp orange liqueur, and sugar in a bowl. Add cubed melons and toss to coat. So good. I just buy the precubed melon, but you could do this yourself if you want.

After you do this meal a few times, it should only take 30 min to cook. Of course, if you are using brown rice, that will take a lot longer, but you dont have to start the other dishes until 30 min before the rice is done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts