VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the first real holiday I will share with my family as being a veggie (over 4 months now).
I was discussing with my mom last night, as she usually will make ham or lamb, etc. She was concerned about what I would eat - and of course I told her not to worry about that.

However, I would love to offer some amazing veggie Easter dish to share. Any suggestions? What does your family usually prepare? I have a large Greek/Italian/meat-loving family... so this shall be interesting.

Thanks in advance for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
This is my 2nd Easter as a veggie...last year my mom offered to put a "block of tofu in with the ham so it soaks up the juices and tastes like ham" (mind you I am a 40 yo adult...) I think she was missing the point......
This year I picked up a field grain celebration roast for myself....I just will not have time to prepare anything.
For Christmas and thanksgivng I made myself nut roasts (googled for a recipe ) ...and everyone else ate them too thinking they were a side dish.

I am not much help I am afraid....hopefully someone with more experience has a fantastic recipe for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Awesome...e/Detail.aspx: this was a HUGE hit when my cousin made it last year for easter... she used tofu instead of eggs, but I forget the ratio, and coconut milk and earth balance, but it was still good. there was only maybe 20 people at easter last year (usually there's about sixty, my mom alone has 13 brothers and sisters, plus all their kids and grandkids), and even with a triple batch, that stuff was gone by the end of the day. lol.

I usually just make like five or six side dishes to contribute. this year I'm thinking either a three bean or quinoa salad, plus maybe green and wax beans with cherry tomatos, acorn squash with brown sugar and cinnamon, garlicky asparagus, and maybe broccoli with dried cranberries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Thanks for this thread! Not only have I never celebrated Easter as a vegan, I've never really celebrated Easter. (I vaguely recall doing chocolate egg hunts and a ham dinner when I was very small.) But this year I'm going to my boyfriend's family's place, where there will be 30 (!) people. I want to bring something but I have no clue what. I was thinking lots of cupcakes, but for a main? I often make a green bean casserole that's a huge hit at Thanksgiving, but is that...Eastery? What do regular people eat at Easter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grkgdss00 View Post

So this is the first real holiday I will share with my family as being a veggie (over 4 months now).
I was discussing with my mom last night, as she usually will make ham or lamb, etc. She was concerned about what I would eat - and of course I told her not to worry about that.

However, I would love to offer some amazing veggie Easter dish to share. Any suggestions? What does your family usually prepare? I have a large Greek/Italian/meat-loving family... so this shall be interesting.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Well a lot of Greek food just so happens to be vegan, which is great. Especially since my mother is an old school Greek with magical skills in the kitchen: dolmathes, artichokes and peas is olive oil and lemon, spanakotipa (without the feta) although i'm not 100% sure if the dough is vegan..i'll have to ask, oven roasted potatoes with (evoo, rosemary, lemon), fried eggplant, scorthalia, and a big honkin' horyiatiki style salad. I'll be eating well, haha.

http://greekfood.about.com/od/greeks...eas_chokes.htm

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/dolmathes/Detail.aspx

http://kopiaste.org/2008/08/patates-...sted-potatoes/

http://www.greek-recipe.com/modules....ile=article132

http://www.greekcuisine.com/oldsite/...ml?RecipeID=18
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
My husband's family is Italian so I'll be eating pasta, salad, and bread! Also will be bringing cupcakes, first off so I can have something to eat for dessert and secondly so they can all taste how awesome vegan cupcakes really are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Rachel, that link didn't work? Do you remember the name/description of it? Thanks.

@ Vegan wannabe - you are making my mouth water! haha

Thanks guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post

This is my 2nd Easter as a veggie...last year my mom offered to put a "block of tofu in with the ham so it soaks up the juices and tastes like ham" (mind you I am a 40 yo adult...) I think she was missing the point......
hahahahaha. awww its nice that she tried to consider you, but thats hilarious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I am kinda in the same boat.....

Every easter my mom gets me, my cusions and all my friends to go to church for one time a year.... After church she feeds everyone... She usually buys all the stuff for a huge cook out and we buy the beer
I am usually on the grill on the cooking and shes in the kitchen doing all the sides.

This year since I am Vegertarian now... She has been really hassleing me about what I eat. I think I really need to step up my vegertarian cooking skills for this and show everyone that Vegertarian dishes are good at omnivories.

So far I have planned
Veggie Baked Beans with Grilled bell peppers and onions added in.
Grilled Baked Potatoes... with Earth Balance Butter and Italian seasoning
Garlic Hummus and Black Bean Dip with Pita Chips
French Onion Dip home made with Potatoe Chips
Grilled Tomatoes, Onions, Mushrooms, zucchini and Bell Peppers.... Plan to put inside grilled Pita Bread
Sour Dough with high quality cheese and with probally some of the grilled Veggies inside, then grill it.
Ceasar Salad....

I am thinking about doing
Some Sauteed Greens (Swiss Chard or Mustard not sure yet)
Also maybe doing some kind of Spring Roll or something along those lines.
I am also going to try some of those Wheat Sausages I been hearing about... But I need to try to make it downtown to see if I can find them. Also gotta find some Vegan Buns for my one Vegan Friend if he shows up.

I know my Mom will be doing her
Mac and Cheese and Mashed Potatoes

There will be meat there.... but luckly everyone knew better to ask me to cook it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
We are going to my in-laws for dinner. They will have their turkey and the leg of lamb.
Im doing the mashed potatoes, some sweet potatoes and a roasted corn and black bean chili.
Between my chili and the taters and the rolls,, I should be carbed out and feeling content pretty quick.
I will not be indulging in the meat products.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
My mom is bringing her traditional Ham Balls, but I will be eating a pasta dish that I am recreating from a restaurant experience a few weeks ago.

Penne, tomatos, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, snap peas, and spinach with a drizzle of a ginger and garlic soy. I'm also providing corn (that I froze last year) with some Earth Balance. I'm making extra, because even though my son and I are the only vegetarians, my dishes are usually the first gone!

Happy Easter!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I'm stressing about Easter dinner with my in laws... Italian too, but they meat in everything! My plan is to eat before I go so I'm not hungry and then hopefully just enjoy a salad or whatever sides I can. I was going to prepare and bring something, but I didn't get to it. I guess the important thing to remember is that one can spend time and enjoy being with family without centering the day around food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsschu2u View Post

My mom is bringing her traditional Ham Balls, but I will be eating a pasta dish that I am recreating from a restaurant experience a few weeks ago.

Penne, tomatos, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, snap peas, and spinach with a drizzle of a ginger and garlic soy. I'm also providing corn (that I froze last year) with some Earth Balance. I'm making extra, because even though my son and I are the only vegetarians, my dishes are usually the first gone!

Happy Easter!
that pasta sounds good, I'm going to have to try that. any specific ratios on the ginger and garlic soy, or do you just do it to taste?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
I just did it to taste, which is how I do most things. I made the sauce last night. This morning before church I stir fried all of my veggies. After church, all I had to do was cook my penne and toss it all together. It was delicious. My favorite comment came from my mother-in-law (whom I absolutely adore). "It didn't look good, but it was great!" If I weren't doing it for 15, I probably would have done it a little "prettier".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

Well a lot of Greek food just so happens to be vegan, which is great. Especially since my mother is an old school Greek with magical skills in the kitchen: dolmathes, artichokes and peas is olive oil and lemon, spanakotipa (without the feta) although i'm not 100% sure if the dough is vegan..i'll have to ask, oven roasted potatoes with (evoo, rosemary, lemon), fried eggplant, scorthalia, and a big honkin' horyiatiki style salad. I'll be eating well, haha.

http://greekfood.about.com/od/greeks...eas_chokes.htm

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/dolmathes/Detail.aspx

http://kopiaste.org/2008/08/patates-...sted-potatoes/

http://www.greek-recipe.com/modules....ile=article132

http://www.greekcuisine.com/oldsite/...ml?RecipeID=18
I wish my mother had inherited some of these 'magical skills in the kitchen'.
Sometimes I think she goes out of her way to make dishes that are as non-vegan as possible.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top