VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the usual stance towards these products?

I love veggie/vegan dogs and vegan burgers, but I am really starting to wonder if they are any healthier than regular hot dogs or hamburgers.

And yes I know that regular hot dogs and hamburgers are full of crap and would never eat them, but I was wondering if most vegans believe that vegan burgers and vegan hotdogs are healthier or not and would the chances of getting a disease decrease a little bit eating those since they have no animal products.....

Hope to get replies soon! :)

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
They do tend to be less calorically dense and have zero cholesterol. They may contain a lot if salt.

I enjoy them now and again, maybe once every couple months.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
They don't have the animal hormones, antibiotics, and cholesterol pumped into them that animal products would have, and are usually a little less calorie and fat dense. But as River said, they tend to be very high in sodium. They also tend to have a lot of additives and fillers and are highly processed so I wouldn't call them especially healthy. Though I would rather someone eat them any day than animal products. I think they have their place. They are also a source of high protein for those that need it without having to consume a lot of food.

I personally don't eat them much, maybe a few times a year for a treat or something different. They are very expensive and personally I like making my own veggie burgers with beans, grains, vegetables etc because I can control what goes in them, make them much healthier, and it is much less expensive. Same with vegan cheeses and yogurts etc. They are more of an occasional treat than a staple. I do buy plant milks more than I make my own of those though.

I have been vegan almost four years and I think I have bought veggie burgers and other "meats" maybe eight or nine times total. I remember buying Beyond Meat strips once, Field Roast twice, Amy's walnut patties once, tofurkey slices and sausage a time or two. My omnivore husband likes my homemade veggie burgers more than the prepared ones. Either that or he is just trying to be nice. :)

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
I agree with Naturebound. I used to eat them early on, but no longer. Maybe at a restaurant, where that's one of the only options.

Look at the ingredients. Some of them contain milk or eggs. My daughter makes her own vegan burgers, which I'm gonna find out how to do. :lick:

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I agree with Naturebound. I used to eat them early on, but no longer. Maybe at a restaurant, where that's one of the only options.

Look at the ingredients. Some of them contain milk or eggs. My daughter makes her own vegan burgers, which I'm gonna find out how to do. :lick:
Yes! And please look up my share your bean burger recipe thread -- no one else contributed :crying:

The only frankfurter I like is Field Roast, and only with a lot of topping. I've made seitan "logs" and those are good (and cheap!)
I've had Gardein burgers- which are very much like beef burgers. I could never have eaten those in my early veg'n days, but now they bring back memories of something I used to enjoy, without reminding me of dead animals.

I make many types of veggie burgers with okara, beans, and grains. Those are my favorite and definitly healthier.

Veg'n foods have their equal to animal products. Some are junky like fatty meats mixed with junk. Some are made from whole foods and equal to lean fresh meats. I don't necessarily believe that all meat is unhealthy for human consumption, just wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
many vegans are going to tell you that meat due to its saturated fat and cholesterol means its less healthy for you. this is quite wrong and based on misinformation. im not sure the general opinion of this in the forum here but i know vegans can be quite the misinformists...

veggie dogs not fortified with nutrients are going to be lacking compared to its meat counterpart in things like b12 and perhaps omega 3 depending on what the veggie dog is made of

meat is very calorie dense and healthy in the right contexts... if u arent like deep frying ur hot dog then its going to provide some very useful nutrients. theoretically u have to eat more veggie dogs per hotdog to get the same calories

veggie dogs will probably contain nutrients that the hotdog is lacking in because veggiedog is made of plant products.

idk which is more healthy but i know which is more dense in which nutrients

·
Registered
24 Posts
Years ago I ate veg burgers meat substitutes a lot. This when I first stopped eating meat and was trying to figure out what to eat and how to eat. They helped me transition. So I have no problem with their existence. A lot of people need them to help them till they learn better choices.
I will not say they are healthy but they are better IMO than eating an animal.
I don't eat meat substitutes very often but I just made picadillo the other day and used the boca vegan crumbles. It was good. And I do buy a box of vegan burgers once in a while. And I agree with others I wouldn't call them healthy just convenient.

·
Registered
84 Posts
many vegans are going to tell you that meat due to its saturated fat and cholesterol means its less healthy for you. this is quite wrong and based on misinformation. im not sure the general opinion of this in the forum here but i know vegans can be quite the misinformists...
Which misinformation are you referring to? Meat consumption IS unhealthy for reasons which extend far beyond just the fat and cholesterol. In America, the vast majority of animals used for food are bred and raised in horrific conditions, fed unnatural diets because they aren't sufficiently grazed and pumped full of hormones, antibiotics and synthetic vitamins. Ditto for dairy animals.

You also seem to be ignoring the dozens of peer reviewed studies as well as the multi-generational meta-studies like Framingham, the Nurse's study, the Adventist and the China studies, all of which indicate that vegetarians or people whose diets consist of mostly plants are, not only generally healthier than their meat eating counterparts and live longer, but that the regular consumption of animal proteins appears to present a serious risk factor for a number of preventable diseases such as a large variety of cancers, heart disease, stroke and even type 2 diabetes. That isn't misinformation...that's fact.

veggie dogs not fortified with nutrients are going to be lacking compared to its meat counterpart in things like b12 and perhaps omega 3 depending on what the veggie dog is made of
More and more, the B12 you find in meat is due, in large part, to the addition of synthetic supplements to the animals' feed. Because of factory farming, fewer animals are turned out to graze and, even for those that are, poor farming practices have stripped our soil of the nutrients which allow the bacteria that produce B12 to flourish. B12 deficiencies don't just affect vegans & vegetarians. Scientists and researchers are becoming aware of the growing number of meat eaters who are also B12 deficient. http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2000/000802.htm

It should be noted that the minimum RDA levels set by the USDA for this enzyme are much lower in America than in Europe and other areas so even an acceptable level here would be considered deficient in the rest of the world.

meat is very calorie dense and healthy in the right contexts... if u arent like deep frying ur hot dog then its going to provide some very useful nutrients. theoretically u have to eat more veggie dogs per hotdog to get the same calories

veggie dogs will probably contain nutrients that the hotdog is lacking in because veggiedog is made of plant products.

idk which is more healthy but i know which is more dense in which nutrients
In which context is meat eating considered healthy? What nutrients do you think meat provides that can't be obtained from other, healthier sources? Do you have any idea what goes into a meat hot dog??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts