VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12yr old daughter decided to be a vegetarian about six months ago. She is very committed. Not being one myself I am totally supporting her. I need recipes children friendly. She's getting sick of noodles & PB&j sandwiches. Her dad is so afraid she's not getting the nutrients she needs to be healthy. I give her lots of nuts and raw veggies but I need meal recipes kid friendly. HELP

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow,this post made my day. Thankyou for supporting your daughter!

If she eats dairy and eggs your job is simpler. If she's avoiding all animal products,you have to get more creative, but there are a lot of wonderful things you can try.

Most of the Veg meals we prepare are easy enough that anyone could do them in minutes. Some of my faves that I know I enjoyed as a child too include pasta with red sauce, black beans and yellow rice, Vegan tacos (the mix is available in a box at health food stores- it literally is a powder that ends up looking and tasting like a perfect taco- we LOVE that stuff!), Vegan cream cheese on bagels, tofurky, tofutti cuties dairy free icecream, bean soup, mixed veggies with soy cheese (or real cheese if you're so inclined)... those are all things I eat when I'm in a hurry, lazy, etc. Also try Boca burgers in the frozen section.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkline9013 View Post

My 12yr old daughter decided to be a vegetarian about six months ago. She is very committed. Not being one myself I am totally supporting her. I need recipes children friendly. She's getting sick of noodles & PB&j sandwiches. Her dad is so afraid she's not getting the nutrients she needs to be healthy. I give her lots of nuts and raw veggies but I need meal recipes kid friendly. HELP
I recommend that you and your husband get a copy of "Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right", by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. The book is full of kid-friendly recipes, and is written by a family practice doctor who has 4 kids, and specializes in using nutritional excellence in order to prevent and reverse chronic disease. The book promotes a plant based diet, and discusses the relationship between childhood diet and adult disease. The book also comes in an audio version, so you and your husband could listen to it together. If you two read or listen to this book, I don't think there will be any more worries about whether your daughter can get the nutrients she needs to be healthy. In fact, you and your husband might decide that switching to a vegetarian diet would be the healthiest choice for you as well!

Claudia

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm not sure how you feel about "processed" foods, but faux-meat products are usually fortified and make it easy to "vegetarianize" recipes like chili or casseroles. And deli slices can make an easy sandwich.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspickle View Post

I'm not sure how you feel about "processed" foods, but faux-meat products are usually fortified and make it easy to "vegetarianize" recipes like chili or casseroles. And deli slices can make an easy sandwich.
You can easily substitute meat with tofu, seitan (wheat gluten "meat") or tempeh too, which aren't all that "processed".

·
Registered
108 Posts
Aww. I became vegetarian when I was around her age, my mom always very supportive (once she realized my health wasn't in danger), and it made things SO much easier. She's lucky to have a mom like you!

When I made the switch to vegetarianism, I headed straight for my local library. Chances are, yours will have several books on being vegetarian that are filled with recipes and information.

When I started out, my favorites were:

Vegetables rock! : a complete guide for teenage vegetarians by Stephanie Pierson (tons of teenage nutrition information, as well as recipes)

OK, so now you're a vegetarian : advice and 100 recipes from one vegetarian to another by Lauren Butts (aimed at teens, nutrition info & recipes)

The Starving Students' Vegetarian Cookbook by DeDe Hall(great, easy recipes)

Beyond alfalfa sprouts & cheese : the healthy meatless cookbook by Judy Gilliard

You may also want to look for a heath food store in your area (Wild Oats, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fruitful Yield, etc.) There are plenty of great foods there for her to try.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Thank you for taking such an interest in your daughter's nutrition!!!

I want to point you in the direction of vegan lunchbox:

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

This is a blog of a vegan kid's meal for school everyday. It's given me so many ideas, I even bought her reciepe book and I don't have kids!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Yay! A wonderful and thoughtful VB friend gave me "Vegan Lunchbox" for Christmas and I've been drooling over the great recipes! If you don't want to shell out for the book, at least check out her blog (synergy linked it above).

There are literally hundreds of vegan recipe blogs on places like "blogspot.com" (just go to the site and enter "vegan" into the search) where "real" people (not fancy chefs or super-experienced cooks) post vegan recipes they themselves have cooked and reviewed and taken pictures of. It's very helpful to have pictures sometimes, or read about others' experiences when trying new recipes....

·
Registered
897 Posts
wow! love that you're supporting her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkline9013 View Post

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

I don't have any recipes for you, but I think it's great you're so supportive!
Me too...Thanx for being such a supportive Parent..My Parents have always been supportive and it means the world to me.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Vegan Family Favorites and Vegan Lunchbox (both already mentioned) are great cookbooks with kid-friendly meals. "Becoming Vegetarian" is another book which is considered one of the best in terms of giving guidelines for nutrition (at various ages) for vegetarians. You can also vegetarianize or veganize some of her favorites. A cheeseless veggie pizza is very good!

Your daughter is lucky to have such a supportive mom!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Pita and Hummus is a good snack. Salads, fruits, nuts. I would suggest getting a good vegetarian cookbook with many easy recipes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just another thumbs up for supporting your daughter. My sister and I became vegetarians in our teens and unfortunately my parents were not very supportive. My dad made a big joke out of it (and even now when he comes to visit me he jokes "so I guess steakhouses are out, huh?" - well, Dad, considering that you have unstable blood pressure and an unhealthy belly, yep, steakhouses are out
) and my mom was always complaining about how impossible it was to cook for us (even though we could damn well cook for ourselves!) because we didn't eat meat. On the plus side, it did force her to search for vegetarian alternatives such as veggie products and crumbles and TVP and the like. Now she's used to it and she still insists on cooking for me when she visits but doesn't complain that it's impossible to feed me

Tam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts