VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...<br><br><br><br>
I haven't been around in a long time because all in all my son has been doing great. He's eating well balanced meals at homeand generally can find stuff to eat when we go out.<br><br><br><br>
However, he is still a label reader and VERY careful about what he eats. He won't eat anything that has potentially come into contact with anything that might have an animal based ingredient in it. For example, we recently went to a fondue restaurant. He would not eat the fresh fruit on the dipping plate because there were marshmallows on the plate as well. I understand his issue, I guess, but it puts me in a quandry for our upcoming vacation.<br><br><br><br>
We are considering taking a cruise this summer. While I realize that there are other eating options on the boat, the most common and easiest one is the buffet. Meat based platters are everywhere and the fruit, crackers, veggies and cheese and whatnot often share a tray with something like turkey or ham. He WILL NOT eat off those trays even if the food he wants is not in direct contact with the meat. He will not eat from an egg station where the food is being prepared with utensils that have come into contact with meat. (Little does he know what goes on in the restaurant kitchens where he happily orders grilled cheese sandwiches.)<br><br><br><br>
I'm sure that at least a few of you here (particularly hardcore vegans if not the ovo-lactos) understand how he feels and might have strategies for dealing with situations like this. Outside of bringing a ton of food for him (I'm not sure if this is even allowed) or leaving him at home, does anyone have any suggestions?<br><br><br><br>
Thanks a ton... I'm always appreciative of the advice I get here!<br><br><br><br>
NRH

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I've never been on a cruise, but my understanding is that cruise ships are very accomodating to vegetarians. I would call the cruise ahead of time and explain the situation and ask what their options are. You could also avoid buffets at least once a day or so, so that he could eat a big meal that he didn't see that it might have come near an animal biproduct.<br><br><br><br>
ETA: At things like egg stations or sandwich stations, you can ask the employee to change utensils/gloves/dishes before making your food. For all they know your son has food allergies. They'll generally not give you a hard time about it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My husband and I went on a cruise to Alaska last summer. There were not a lot of options that would have fit his parameters- even in the "premium" restaurants that charged an additional cover charge.<br><br><br><br>
The ship that we're thinking about taking this summer in Hawaii has an all or mostly American crew. Unfortunately, they aren't known for being the best at customer service. I'd like to think that they'll be accomodating, but I can't count on it. If we go, it will be important for my son to have options that will work for him without having to count on any cruise line employees going above and beyond. The reviews say that it's hard enough to get drinks refilled let alone get someone to change gloves or whatnot.<br><br><br><br>
If there was a land based option that was affordable for us to go everywhere and see everything we wanted, we'd do that. Next to hitting the lotto and taking a month off, this is our best option. I just have to figure out a way to make it work.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I took a cruise through the Caribbean over the holidays. I am vegan. I told them when I booked the cruise, and they were VERY accommodating. I tried to fly under the radar, but one night I was at one of the fancier restaurants, and they had NOTHING for me to eat. So I took the waitress aside and asked if they could make something vegan for me. The entire staff bent over backwards, the meal was my best of the trip, and the chef even came out to ask how I liked the dinner. Once I raised the question, everyone knew exactly what to do to help me. It was the best customer service I've had, anywhere, ever. It was Norwegian Cruise Lines, if that helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh, and there was a ton of fresh fruit at every meal, and it was all on separate platters in the buffet. Although, in general, the buffet was not the best option for me. Although they had several amazing veggie curries.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I recentley was on Princess Lines (run by Carnival, if that helps you, and it was a disaster, I might add, they lost our luggage on the way to the ship and on our way home, it got sent to Munich at one point), but I noticed that there was plenty of food spread out everywhere and the meat was on its own plates and there was a veggie option at every fancy meal. And if I recal correctley, you could go on Princess' website before the cruise and specify special diets.<br><br><br><br>
Oh, and if you do go, have fun! ^.^

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I've been on 2 cruises. Norwegian Cruise Lines definitely has Carnival beat when it comes to customer service. No contest.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I didn't know until now that we could specify a diet choice for him. We are going on NCL, so it's comforting to know that they've been accomodating previously. It's also nice to know that the fruits and veggies haven't been contaminated by sitting on a tray with meat. I also figure I'll bring him a box or two of the protein bars he likes just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts