VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I am doing a veggie cooking show on public access tv here in NYC. Please check out the website, there are some great vegan recipes and info on vegan baking, and tell me what you think!

It's called The Post Punk Kitchen, and the url is www.theppk.com

Feedback appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
My comment is, please do not do what all cooking shows do which annoys me very much- do not practice atrocious food safety practices.

I always see people on these shows wiping their hands off on their aprons, touching raw meat (won't be a problem on your show) and then cross contaminating other things. Produce can still have bacteria and other bad stuff until it is thoroughly washed. Perhaps you can have it all washed at the beginning of the show and comment on how you have pre-washed everything to get off all the bacteria, some of the pesticides or what have you.

Sounds like an awesome show, great work!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Congratulations and good luck with the show!! I wish that other networks like Food Network would consider a vegan cooking program. I am convinced that more people would eat vegan if they understood the basics and could watch someone put a dish together. Whenever I tell someone about eating vegan they either are thrilled that someone else does it or they give me a vacant look. Many people do not have a clue about real nutrition and how good it can actually taste. Anyway, congrats again. Hope it is a great success.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
any chance of expanding into boston???
Yes! I am trying to get it broadcast on public access in several cities, Boston among them.

Quote:
wiping their hands off on their aprons
I will definitely wash my veggies but I will probably wipe my hands on my apron, what's wrong with that?

Quote:
I wish that other networks like Food Network would consider a vegan cooking program
I know right? That's in part why I'm doing it. I bet if it does well they will follow suit.

Thanks for the support all!!!!

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Congratulations! I'm jealous. I need a show like this, but I doubt we'll ever get that in Atlanta, dammit. Though, I'm surprised there isn't a show like this already. It would certainly have a large audience.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I believe Board of Health regulations discourage wiping hands on aprons because of the possibility of cross-contamination. I don't think it's much of an issue with a veggie cooking show, but I agree with Thalia -- sometimes the practices I see on cooking shows drive me crazy! Especially when I see a cook stick her/his finger in something and lick it off, then go on to stick their hands in some other foods.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Oh, and the show sounds great! I wish there was a veg*n cooking show in my area, or on my cable.

I like the website design too... and I'm looking forward to the recipe section expansion. (bookmarked for future reference!)

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Well if you are only wiping you hands on your apron after thoroughly cleaning your hands, that's one thing, but otherwise, you are building up an apron full of nastiness which could eventually be breeding bacteria, and then you are continually wiping your hands on it and then touching your food.

But it is much less of a problem, if at all, if you are only working with washed produce. Certanily this is not such a big deal when you are only cooking for yourself, but cooks on TV should show exemplary form in all aspects of food preparation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Well if you are only wiping you hands on your apron after thoroughly cleaning your hands, that's one thing
I will definitely do my best! What I usually do is wipe my hands on my apron/pants/what-have-you and then wash my hands. I think that's fine, I'm not putting stuff from the apron back in the food.

I've worked in restaurants and when I do that I follow all the health regs, although when I cook for family and friends I am not as careful because a) There are no board of health people about to sneak up on me and b) I know my hands are clean!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Awesome! I hope it goes well for you! It would be great to have a veg cooking show for Boston public tv! Hopefully they will bring it here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts