VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I decided to eat veg, I wanted to try veggie burgers. I have tried many and actually liked them all. I read a review and according to the review some are very unhealthy. I read that soy isolate is comprised by using a chemical called Hexane. it is supposed to be very bad for you. Mornings star does not sound healthy. I did read Amy's stopped using it, but realized veg burgers are not good. I eat Dr. Preagers and love them. The ingredients seem healthy. Does anyone know, if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I personally like the Morningstar Farms veggie products. Not sure how healthy they are, but that's not my top priority with veggie burgers. Taste far outweighs it with me--I figure I can make up for it by eating healthier foods in general.

Boca veggie products are pretty good. Haven't tried Dr. Praeger's yet, though. The supermarkets I go to around here don't seem to have them (or they have the fish/chicken Dr. Praeger stuff, not veggie stuff) Don't often make it to health food stores lately as I've been on a tight budget.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing that confuses me about Veg eating is that some are not concerned about health and only not eating meat. I am trying to eat healthy and get some are just trying to not eat meat, but health seems important to me. I get some are all about not hurting the environment or eating animals, but health seems important as well.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
People go veg and stay veg for different reasons.
My reasons for being veg don't include the health reasons---I recognize that it is possible to eat a healthy diet with or without meat. I don't eat a ton of veggie burgers anyway---1 or 2 a week, maybe. If I was eating them everyday, then maybe I'd worry a bit more about how healthy they are.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, if smoking crack or taking other drugs does not harm animals and you are veg, is that ok? Just making a point, but not understanding the desire to not eat meat, but not to be healthy. I am just trying to understand. i Would think looking after other beings would be important and treating yourself as well would be as important. Taking care of yourself can help society as much as taking care of animals and the environment.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

So, if smoking crack or taking other drugs does not harm animals and you are veg, is that ok?
It definitely isn't okay but it is still technically vegetarian. A vegetarian is just a person who doesn't eat meat, everything else is your own decision. Health is important, but avoiding everything that is unhealthy isn't what defines a vegetarian, just avoiding meat. Does that make sense?

Quote:

Just making a point, but not understanding the desire to not eat meat, but not to be healthy. I am just trying to understand. i Would think looking after other beings would be important and treating yourself as well would be as important. Taking care of yourself can help society as much as taking care of animals and the environment.
Looking after your own health is very important, but everyone becomes vegetarian for different reasons. Some people just struggle with discipline and find it harder to give up junk food than eating dead animals. Most people do stop eating meat because they care about not hurting animals so any health benefits are kind of a bonus from that perspective.

For me personally it's a lot easier to give up something I like when it's for the benefit of other people/animals. If I know a product causes a lot of suffering to a chicken or pig or cow it is a much stronger motivator to not buy it than just thinking I shouldn't buy it because it's unhealthy.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Ocrob, the point I'm trying to make is that everybody is vegetarian for their own reasons. Some vegetarians would say it's ok to smoke crack and take other drugs as long as animals weren't hurt in the process (not me, but just making a point). We don't always agree with each other on our reasons for being vegetarian, or entirely understand each other. I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" answer to this sort of thing. We all do things for different reasons.

If you're concerned with eating healthy, good for you. I try to look at the whole picture...having a balanced diet does allow for some not so healthy foods to be included. Moderation. Is health my main reason for being a vegetarian? No, because you don't have to be a vegetarian to be healthy.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:

One thing that confuses me about Veg eating is that some are not concerned about health and only not eating meat. I am trying to eat healthy and get some are just trying to not eat meat, but health seems important to me. I get some are all about not hurting the environment or eating animals, but health seems important as well.
I guess some of us are hedonists who cant help ourselves, whether we are veg*n or not... : )

Re veggie burgers, I made some red kidney bean burgers about 6 weeks ago. They were delish. They had: lightly mashed (rinsed) kidney beans, chopped coriander (aka cilantro), diced onion, chopped button mushrooms, minced garlic, red peppers, and some spices, I cant remember which, possibly cumin and a hint of chilli powder, something else. Breadcrumbs.

Everything (except the beans) are fried in a little bit of oil and then combined with the beans to be made into patties and fried or grilled in an oven.

Not a lot of oil needs to be used, particularly if cooking spray is used. Then they are put in a burger bun with lettuce, avocado, other salad.. very nice anyway.

Burgers can be made with beans, lentils and chickpeas. There are tons and tons of recipes round. You can even make sausages out of beans.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really appreciate how people on here respond to things. You all made great points. My hedonism is beer. I had several when I posted which probably made my posts little bit out there. I would like to learn more about store bought veggie burgers. Find them to be so tasty.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I <3 gardein best of all!

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
I eat and love gardenburgers and boca products. I heard that morningstar products are heavily processed which would explain why whole foods barely carries anything from the brand.....atleast my local store does not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts