VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help.I'm looking to incorporate more vegetables into my diet because I think that I eat WAY too much fruit(5-8 pieces daily).Ideally I'd like to have veggies with every meal but I'm coming up short for breakfast.I can't really think of any veg. dish to make besides hash browns and those aren't particularly healthy...any ideas?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
There's the good ole veggie/tofu scramble.

Does it have to be a traditional breakfast item? Some people are okay eating a lunch or dinner item in the morning.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to get to the point where I could eat a lunch type meal for breakfast instead of the usual bowl of oatmeal and fruit.I feel programmed to reject veggies in the morning but never fruit,I don't know why that is.

Maybe I will go back to tofu scramble,I haven't had it in awhile.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
To be honest. I am not a morning person. I have a limited amount of time in the morning before work. I cheat. I drink my vegetables in the morning.

I either make a green shake or drink an organic tomato based veggie juice.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Even if you don't have a juicer, just make a normal fruit smoothie and add a few handfuls of raw spinach, kale, or other leafy green and blend until smooth

11,550 Posts
you could make some veggie pate or spread and have it on toast for breakfast, maybe with some carrot juice or salt free V8 or similar veggie juice- its a quick and easy option if you don't feel like blending your own juice. you could try vegemite or marmite on your toast, too (its an aquired taste- but full of vitamins and stuff). i really like grilled cauliflower slices- i steam cook them the night before for part of dinner, and then have the leftovers lightly grilled or panfried as sliced florets in the morning- they have this lush caremelised sweetness. also, have you tried potato rostis? they're basically blanched grated potato, mixed with optional herbs and spices, then formed into patties and grilled or lightly panfried. i make them sometimes, but with added grated zuccinni and carrots and sometimes parsnips (i use equal amounts of each). i like bubble and squeak too (see recipe in the recipe section) and have been known to have it with channa masala (like an indian chickpea version of baked beans) for breakfast. while i'm thinking of indian stuff, i could definately eat vegetable pakoras and samosas for breakfast- though they're probably not the healthiest options if fried, either. you could make spicy (or non spicy) veggie pancakes, too, maybe? just add grated slightly sweated veggies to pancake batter and serve with a tomato sauce for dipping... mmmmmm. (if you wanted to add another veggie in there, then why not make a quick 'tomato style' sauce in the blender, but do it using roasted red peppers instead of tomatoes). or what about having carrot or pumpkin muffins for breakfast? they aren't too outside of the general american breakfast 'norm' are they? wow... i really want breakfast now, lol.... its a shame i can't think of these in the morning.. i tend to end up with cornflakes or pancakes.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hoodedclawjen, you came up with some great ideas.

Just one thing, V8 uses beef as the "natural flavor". It's one of those WTF items. So V8 tomato / veggie juice is not vegetarian.

11,550 Posts
Quote:
Just one thing, V8 uses beef as the "natural flavor". It's one of those WTF items. So V8 tomato / veggie juice is not vegetarian.
really? i emailed them a few months ago about this very issue, and they said in their response that several versions of the V8 product, including the origional one, was definately 100% suitable for vegetarians.

hmmm. maybe i'll check with them again- as sods law has come into play and i can't find the email they sent me right now.

well, anyway, i'm sure there are other versions of veggie juices (especially health food store brands) that are definately 100% super ok, for those who aren't sure about the V8 label specifically.

while i'm thinking about it, i've also seen cartons of combined veggie and fruit juice in grocery stores too- that according to a friend of mine, taste like they're just orange and banana and strawberry juice (etc) but that contain stealthily added untastable vegetables, lol. they might be an idea if people don't like the idea or taste of veggie juice, too.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
hcjen, you are always full of good ideas and advice. You are a very helpful VB member.

I make a potato-veggie thing for breakfast that's similar to hcjen's potato rostis, excpet mine is more like simple home fries-- cubed potato, diced onion, bell pepper, carrot, and zucchini, fried up in a pan with whatever seasonings you like. I tend to use chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and red pepper. I've also been known to dice whatever leftover veggie I have on hand and throw it in as well-- cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato, mushrooms, even a few raw spinach leaves. It's great wrapped up in a tortilla with some salsa. Adding tofu scramble to the taco is also good. It's too much of a pain to cook on a weekday morning, but I make it for Sunday's supper and eat the leftovers for weekday breakfasts.

Auggie, you and I are opposites. I eat enough vegetables, but am not good at eating fruit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I will try the green drinks and veggie tortilla.Grilled cauliflower sounds yummy too.

Thanks for all of your ideas!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ditta HCJ, those are fab ideas. I'm gonna try some of that... but perhaps not for breakfast though.
[Confirmed fruit lover for breakfast, here.
] But most certainly for other parts of the day. Yum! (I love new ideas for food!!)

11,550 Posts
i woke up this morning dreaming about veggie bread, lol. soft fluffy brown bread made with vegetable stock instead of water, with grated veggies cooked into it, with caramelised onion pieces and sundried tomatoes and seeds and olives and herbs and lovely stuff everywhere... toasted, and spread with earth balance.... drooooooool.

i spose i'm going to have to try out some wheat free yeast free bread reciepes from the food allergy survival guide book that i bought this weekend, and work out how to veggiebread-ise them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Well, that made me think of carrot muffins.

Banana bread is awesome, but did you know that zucchini bread is just as nummy? And like nanner bread, it also makes a great breakfast.
I LOVE zucchini bread! I just made some last night (and banana/chocolate chip/walnut too!) in mini muffin pans, threw them in the freezer 4 minis per snack bag and the kids take them to school for snacks. They love it!
I suppose that would make a good "on the fly" grab and go breakfast too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Banana bread is awesome, but did you know that zucchini bread is just as nummy? And like nanner bread, it also makes a great breakfast.
Ohhhh.... Zucchini bread is delicious!
I haven't made it in sooo long. However, I made a wonderful pear bread a couple weeks ago that I think may be even better than the zucchini.

Oh, and I'm another one who never knows what to eat for breakfast.
This thread has been really helpful!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
how about a full english?

okay, so normally that's not THAT full of veggies. But double up on the fried mushrooms and fried tomatoes and have smaller amounts of the other stuff.

fried tomatoes (a lot)

fried mushrooms (a lot)

some baked beans (I don't know if these are called the same in other countries, as I've only noticed english people mentioning them)

a couple of veggie sausages or some veggie bacon or something, just not too much.

you could add your hash browns too, or some potato bread, but potatoes aren't really that full of nutrients.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts