VeggieBoards banner

VegFest Bristol (27-29 May)...anyone going?

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  IamJen 
#1 ·
We skipped last year, but I'm looking forward to going again this time. Anyone else planning to attend? It's *free* this year too!

See less See more
#3 ·
Im not going this year =(
I wanted to but its not feasible. I no longer talk to the person I used to stay with to go, so would have to pay for a hotel. Im also working til 3pm on the Saturday. I knew I might not be able to so thats why I went to the Brighton one. Will go to the London one if I can too.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I wanted to, but I'm stuck up north (which is why I went to its Brighton counterpart in March). I loved it last year... the Brighton one was awesome, though
But....Brighton is in the south too?

#7 ·
mazikeen, if you and the man are there, keep an eye out for us.
We haven't really decided what day we're going, but I'm thinking probably Saturday.

#9 ·
They have them in Manchester occasionally I think. Nottingham (which isn't very far north, I realize) has a really active veg community...they might know about some things in your neck of the woods. This is the vegan page, but I think there's a vegetarian one somewhere too:
http://www.vegan-nottingham.co.uk/

#11 ·
Oh, I've seen some things in Edinburgh before. I sorta dismiss them because it's like a 7 hour train ride (each way) for us, but I will try and keep my eyes open.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

mazikeen, if you and the man are there, keep an eye out for us.
We haven't really decided what day we're going, but I'm thinking probably Saturday.
Will do.
Do you still have the same mobile number? We'll be going Saturday probably, we're still working out details as the bf also wants to meet up with people (who might not want to come along to VegFest).

Quote:

They have them in Manchester occasionally I think. [/url]
I don't think there's been one in Manchester in at least 2 years (or more?). Hey, I had even seen isowish in the last one, and I haven't seen her in ages!

#15 ·
This is our stash from the fest:

bought:
some shampoo/conditioner for £3, buy one get one free
almond butter for £1.99 (cheaper than Holland/Barrett)
recycled razor blades
book about feeding vegan children
2 tubs of shea butter blusher
3 Hurraw lipbalms, which are superfantastic, including a root beer flavored one!
goody bag (supports the festival) with Jason lotion, book, sweet freedom carob, rice dream, bear fruits and granola, vouchers, nakd raisins, moisturizer sample muesli and maybe other stuff

freebies/samples:
two nakd bars
panda licorice
Wot no dairy? Black Cherry yogurt
Alpro vanilla dessert (eaten on the train)
Essential snack mix
tomato seeds
tea
nine bar (seeds)
cucumber facial
some "magical herbal balm" (not really sure what this is yet)
algae sample
Moo Free chocolate
chocolate heart
and of course all sorts of vouchers/pamphlets, etc.

We got to try some of the other flavors of Vegusto, which were quite good, and found out that they are opening a warehouse in the UK in July, so it will be easy to order direct (and hfs' will be able to stock it as well!)

Mostly rainy, but heard a smidge of music and had some vegan lunch/dessert so all in all a good day.
LL

#16 ·
wow that all sounds great iamjen
Yumyumyum, I usually go to this and christmas without cruelty each year, but I haven't for gone to either for about a year now and it's very sad ! I love stocking up on freebies, trying new foods, and just basically eating all day

Sounds like you had a fab time!

#17 ·
I had a big pancake (well, a crepe) with chocolate and banana that was really good. Also had a baguette sort of sandwich with baba ganoush, hummus, lettuce etc, but was a bit disappointed with that one. They also had (obviously mock) fish and chips, but decided against it as I'm trying to eat less junk. There was also some very delicious-looking and -smelling Indian food.

Lots of interesting stalls as usual. The Vegan Society was well represented with 5 or so people at their stall, selling Veg1, books etc, and giving out free pamphlets and some older books.

The music wasn't really my thing, and I was trying to escape from what I thought was going to be another hippy poetry session (ugh!!!) when all of a sudden they started playing a funny instrument. (Err not sure what it's called.) So I stayed and listened to that for a bit.

Also watched brief parts of The Witness while eating my sandwich. Was sorta interesting, the main guy seemed like the vegan version of Joe The Plumber

#19 ·
Ooh. Have you been to her shop in Brixton? Haven't ventured there yet.

#20 ·
Quote:

I've been, and it's great. There are several flavours of cupcakes to choose from, and she also sells other stuff, including marshmallows and fudge. Very good service and atmosphere, too.

I went to VegFest on Saturday and Sunday, both in the morning/afternoon, not staying for the evening and the bands. Pity we didn't manage to bump into each other, Jen and Karl. I enjoyed it, there were plenty of stalls and lots of free samples. I got to try the Vegusto cheeses, and I'll probably end up ordering a couple of their flavours. I'm afraid my bf wasn't as excited by the Vegusto cheese, but at least we found other interesting things.

I went to a few talks and films, too, and I'm glad I did. It was a good opportunity to watch films like Behind the Mask, that I've heard a lot about, but never got around to watching. I admit that it was somewhat comforting to be surrounded by vegans and AR campaigners, it gave me a sense that progress is being made on these issues.

#21 ·
Quote:

nooo but I bought some cupcakes at the brighton fayre. they were really nice although squashed by the time i ate them haha. id love to go, but brixton is the opposite side of london and im not sure id be able to fill out a day in that area or even close.

#22 ·
Yeah, the other side of the river seems a whole world away sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.