VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of interested in joining the vegetarian society of my area, BUT there are no doubt going to be vegetarians. I'm afraid that if I join I'll be one of the very few or only vegan
Also, they have a vegetarian potluck once a month...at a church. turn off 1) being at a church 2) might not be vegan food.
It's $15 for a student to become a member and if I did I would get 10% off check at basically every vegan restaurant I go to, but that isn't why I kind of want to become a member. I'm just sick and tired of having friends I really can't relate to or share any of the same beliefs.
I only have my fiance and he is great, but I just want vegan friends jeez. IDK on what I should do because I feel like vegetarians are hypocrites...

any thoughts?
anyone belong to one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

I'm kind of interested in joining the vegetarian society of my area, BUT there are no doubt going to be vegetarians. I'm afraid that if I join I'll be one of the very few or only vegan
I think you should join and find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

Also, they have a vegetarian potluck once a month...at a church. turn off 1) being at a church 2) might not be vegan food.
Can't you contact them and ask whether there will be food suitable for vegans? Can't you attend a potluck first and then decide whether you will become a member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

It's $15 for a student to become a member and if I did I would get 10% off check at basically every vegan restaurant I go to, but that isn't why I kind of want to become a member. I'm just sick and tired of having friends I really can't relate to or share any of the same beliefs.
I only have my fiance and he is great, but I just want vegan friends jeez. IDK on what I should do because I feel like vegetarians are hypocrites...
Maybe you should try to be less judgmental. You do share some of the same beliefs with non-vegan vegetarians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

any thoughts?
anyone belong to one?
I belonged to a vegetarian society for about eight years in Nashville until the organization collapsed. It did not have the problems that you envision. Vegans and l/o vegetarians got along fine.

There were many other problems with the organization, but the ones you mention were not involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

im not being judgemental. i could deal with all of our differences before, but since becoming vegan it just took things OVER the edge
terrible.
I was only talking about being judgmental with regard to l/o vegetarians, not about the other issues you raised in your second post (drinking, sleeping around, partying, etc.) I've found most vegans and vegetarians in real life to be nice people.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH im not trying to be judgemental I just think they are hypocrites.
Yes, I think they are doing some good, but idk can't get past that.

i think im going to join next paycheck
ill report back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I think you should join. Even if they arent vegan I bet you would have some in common. Also maybe some are thinking about becoming vegan and you could help them with ideas and they could see its not as hard as people think...
(if there was one near me i would well maybe there is I didnt even know about them until right now)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I'd honestly rather hang out with most of the vegetarians I know than most of the vegans, and I'm in the latter group.
Right on there.

Jessikah, give it a go, there might be some pretty open minded people there, ( even if they're "just" vegetarian"), and you can always bring awesome vegan dishes along.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's not that their JUST vegetarians because like I said they are still doing good, but I just don't want to be like in a convo about how eating meat is horrible and me trying to bite my tongue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
Jessikah, if you use that first meeting mostly to observe, you'll probably find out which members are actually vegan or not far off just by noticing who brings what kind of dish, or who orders what if they meet up at a restaurant. If someone starts a conversation with you based on your own order, you might find out that the group is divided between l/o's and vegans. You might find a rough age split, with most of the younger members trending vegan and most of the older ones trending vegetarian. As a group they'll most likely be welcoming you, based more on how friendly you are than by how far into the vegan lifestyle you are compared to them. At least nobody will be waving slices of cheese in your face taunting you about your "rabbit food."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
(totally not related, but guess what? the office of the Vegetarian Society of North America is only about a half hour away from me! It's in Dolgeville NY....totally a hick town out in the middle of NO WHERE in the boondocks.....just thought I'd share that. I've never had a place to let anyone know that before......but I think it's pretty cool)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am officially a member of the vegetarian society of southern new jersey :]
yay! Potluck this saturday I am SOOOO EXCITED to finally interact with veg*ns ! Hopefully some around my age if not it'll still be awesome!
I added the society's fb page and everyone seems nice! I was thinking of making a larger version of what I made my fiance last night!

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/x...urth/maccc.png
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/x...acnchreese.png

Or is that too comfort food-ish?
It was DELICIOUS<3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

it's not that their JUST vegetarians because like I said they are still doing good, but I just don't want to be like in a convo about how eating meat is horrible and me trying to bite my tongue.
I totally understand how you feel and why.
Because I feel that way, I wouldn't ever join a society or group that didn't have the word "vegan" in their name. Not because I don't like vegetarians personally, or I think I'm better than them, but because I know that eating eggs and dairy causes as much suffering as meat eating, and on that basis alone, it can make socialising or having frank conversations with vegetarians about animal issues incredibly difficult and frustrating at times. I feel as though that frustrating experience defeats the purpose of joining a social group to be around "like-minded people".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

I am officially a member of the vegetarian society of southern new jersey :]
Congratulations!

I noticed that this society says on its webpage that it is "nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization."

http://www.vssj.com/

That's impressive to me. It also means that you can probably get a copy of its tax return (Form 990) on line (free) thru Guidestar. Let me suggest that at some point (not necessarily immediately) you get a copy of this return and read it. It will tell you a lot about the organization and how it uses its financial resources.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I live in a county with 137,000+ cattle 14,000+ sheep and 8,800 humans... not a whole lot of vegetarian societies in my neck of the woods.
But, thankfully, a lot of vegetarians.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Congratulations!

I noticed that this society says on its webpage that it is "nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization."

http://www.vssj.com/

That's impressive to me. It also means that you can probably get a copy of its tax return (Form 990) on line (free) thru Guidestar. Let me suggest that at some point (not necessarily immediately) you get a copy of this return and read it. It will tell you a lot about the organization and how it uses its financial resources.
thanks for the info.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top