VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of us are vegetarians to make the world a better place, right? Well, making the world a better place goes beyond forsaking meat. It also means refraining from shopping at Wal-Mart. Wal-mart is not good for the environment, they are not good to their employees, and they mistreat their overseas factory workers. Not to mention, they are also driving local businesses out of business.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The Walmart where I live hires the disabled and elderly, is that not a good thing? The Obama Administration is also working with WalMart to make fruits and veggies cheaper, I'd say WalMart is doing some good for America. There low prices are good for low income families, I doubt my family would still have our house if it wasn't for Walmarts cheap products.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I think Walmart got to the top ruthlessly, but is starting to do a few good things. If they continue on their current journey and slow down on dominating the entire world, they may actually become a decent company.

You mentioned that they drive out small businesses and that's true. I hate that. But remember, they also make other businesses give more competitive prices. I remember way back in the day before there were Walmarts, many stores had very high prices. Thanks to stores like Walmart and internet shopping, prices are more reasonable and stores match each other more closely. Back in the day, stores just charged what they felt like charging. There were very large differences in prices from one store to the next.

I personally don't like Walmart because of its cold atmosphere (and the other shoppers who are slack as heck - just standing around in an aisle when you are trying to get by and they don't move out of the way). And the lines at the checkout are horrible. I don't want to wait half an hour to purchase a couple of items.

I will shop there if I have to, but I do avoid them as much as possible. I much prefer my health food stores where the people are nicer (and happier!) and the veg*n selections are much better.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

The Walmart where I live hires the disabled and elderly, is that not a good thing? The Obama Administration is also working with WalMart to make fruits and veggies cheaper, I'd say WalMart is doing some good for America. There low prices are good for low income families, I doubt my family would still have our house if it wasn't for Walmarts cheap products.
I've only ever shopped for groceries once at WalMart and it was a horrible experience. There was very little produce and healthy options but many isles of snacks, soda and frozen crap. I certainly hope they offer better selections is they truly want to offer low income families healthy/affordable groceries.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
The Walmart where I live has a great produce section and their prices are always the cheapest in town. I was there two days ago and they had very nice-looking navel oranges on sale for 15 cents each. I bought as many as I could carry.
I don't prefer to give Walmart my money but with my budget the way it is right now I've got to shop where the prices are best. Those same oranges at my regular grocery store are 1.00 each!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Tell a person not to shop and Walmart and they'll go red when they sees the prices in their fairtrade organic veg*n community driven cornershop.
Tell a person how to grow their own veg...

But yea, when so many people just can't afford a high living standard, the fact is that people, even ethically concious ones, will have to shop at the likes of Walmart. I shop in Tesco, I detest the company, but I can't afford to shop anywhere else really. Although I do get some irritation from MikeLines argument, because a lot of the jobs I see the disabled and elderly offered are rather demeaning.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Well, thankfully i'm a vegan that shops at Walmart rather than a vegetarian!! Any non local similar store is not good for the environment.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
The same attributes the op mentioned can be said about Whole Foods and any other national (or even regional) retail coompany. I have yet to shop aat a /market where produce didn't come from overseas or there was no meat being sold.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
You can say the same thing for almost EVERY retailer. Go buy a cotton field, and make your own clothes, your own food, and EVERYTHING else. Oh wait, then you're bad for the economy because you're not funding jobs. Wal-marts are necessary, as are retailers in generally, they are getting better at the products they provide. If anything you should buy from them more, because every organic vegetable you buy from them you're making a vote for them to stock that kind of stuff more. So I argue, that you need to buy from them more to provide better for the country.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberbanana View Post

A lot of us are vegetarians to make the world a better place, right? Well, making the world a better place goes beyond forsaking meat. It also means refraining from shopping at Wal-Mart. Wal-mart is not good for the environment, they are not good to their employees, and they mistreat their overseas factory workers. Not to mention, they are also driving local businesses out of business.
I think this is diluting the definition of vegetarianism. I personally don't shop at Wal-Mart, but it isn't my business to tell people where to buy their veggies and toilet paper.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

You know those low food prices come at a price, right? Like hiring undocumented immigrants, paying less than minimum wage, forcing them to live in a trailer with seven others, sometime even enslaving them? Somebody else paid the price to make those food prices low. The trail of unethical business practices goes beyond Walmart, though Walmart does support such violations of human rights.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

I think this is diluting the definition of vegetarianism. I personally don't shop at Wal-Mart, but it isn't my business to tell people where to buy their veggies and toilet paper.
Do you mean shopping there dilutes vegetarianism, or do you mean it's adding more than what's needed as a definition for vegetarianism?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

You know those low food prices come at a price, right? Like hiring undocumented immigrants, paying less than minimum wage, forcing them to live in a trailer with seven others, sometime even enslaving them? Somebody else paid the price to make those food prices low. The trail of unethical business practices goes beyond Walmart, though Walmart does support such violations of human rights.
with this comes the question of idealism vs realism and what a person can handle. I shop there because I need to. the local food places are much more expensive and also have the evil meats and dairy and whatnot. Until local health food establishments can actually have doable prices i'll support them a bit but not fully.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberbanana View Post

Recently Matt Ball, whom I respect and admire greatly for the work and resources he's provided for helping animals, had a chat at AR Zone in which he addressed such a concern.

Quote:
if Vegan Outreach spent our time following everyones boycott of everything, wed never get any actual vegan outreach done. People have wanted us to boycott everything from banks to staples. Not the company Staples, but the actual metal staples in our booklets. I kid you not.
The bottom line is that 99 out of every 100 animals who will suffer and die in 2011 will do so to be eaten. While it's never a bad thing to attempt to boycott a cruel industry, people like Matt believe the bottom line should be animal suffering first and foremost because they suffer the worst. If I believed not shopping at wal-mart would actually help many more animals than I am helping now I'd stop doing it, but what if wal-mart actually helps animals by providing affordable vegan food options for people? Instead of not shopping at places like wal-mart or McDonald's maybe our focus should be on encouraging them to stock more vegan or vegetarian options. There's one possible future where we can make that happen.

Quote:
After his first heart attack, Uncle Dick will shift over to vegetarian meats that have no cholesterol or saturated or trans fats and are high in omega-3s. Cousin Jebs second wife a vegetarian since getting an Even If You Like Meat booklet from Jon Camp in 2003 will use that as an excuse to only cook vegetarian meals -- and Jeb will hardly notice the difference! Their daughter Barbara will grow up as a vegan activist, and will oversee McDonalds shift to non-animal chicken in their sandwiches.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

it's adding more than what's needed as a definition for vegetarianism?
This part. The leap from not eating animals to not shopping at Wal-Mart . . . If this was an old west movie, our train engine would be plummeting to the bottom of the ravine.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I only participate in specific, short-term boycotts that have clearly identified goals.

Otherwise, I try to shop as conscientiously as possible. Obviously, being vegan is HUGE in that department, but I also strive towards buying fair trade, organic items from companies that respect human rights and the environment.

But that's not always what happens. There are times when it just makes more sense for me and my family to shop at Walmart. I'm not proud of it and I won't even defend it, but I'm not going to apologize for it either. Life is hard and sometimes we can't make 100% perfect choices all the time.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:

This part. The leap from not eating animals to not shopping at Wal-Mart . . . If this was an old west movie, our train engine would be plummeting to the bottom of the ravine.
I mean the ethic behind ethical vegetarianism I would hope could transcend the AR arena to be concerned also about violations of human rights and environmental degradation, which go hand in hand.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:

Yes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:

I mean the ethic behind ethical vegetarianism I would hope could transcend the AR arena to be concerned also about violations of human rights and environmental degradation, which go hand in hand.
Ethical vegetarianism COULD transcend the AR arena, but it may not.

Making the decision to refrain from eating animals and implementing lifestyle changes in support of that decision, makes the person a vegetarian.
Refraining from shopping at Wal-Mart, makes the person a Wal-Mart boycott participant. (personal reasons may vary)

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

No offense, but not everyone is an ethical vegetarian, and even if we were all ethical vegetarians, I have the unpopular opinion that a lot of the times people get what they deserve.

People have the right to be blights on the environment, and if undocumented workers wanted the same rights as documented workers, they should come here LEGALLY. That being said, I think that places that hire illegally workers should be prosecuted to fullest extent of the law for human rights violations, harboring fugitives, and so on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts